Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

2ws or 4ws??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 06:25 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2ws or 4ws??

Just wondering what everyone prefers for crawling, and for bashing.

I havent decided what I'm going to go with, I'll most likely try both eventually though.

The problem is my 3ch radio (Futaba 3PM-FS) only has a 2way 3rd channel so the rear wheels would either always be turned full left or full right. So, if I go with 4ws steering I'll have to use one of my airplane radios, which Im not too fond of doing because I dont like driving cars with a stick style transmitter.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:26 PM
aintskeered
Banned

Default RE: 2ws or 4ws??

4wd!
dave
Old 06-08-2005, 06:30 PM
jakjr

All crawlers are 4 wheel drive, im talking about steering.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
aintskeered
Banned

o i must of not read the whole post...i thought u were dumb or sumthinwell it really matters on ur preference dealing with what places u crawl at and if they r rugged places and u need better handling then i'd say definately 4w steering...
dave
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
wookie_racer
My Feedback: (8)

you can get a Y harness to connect the two servos and youse one channel for full time 4WS. http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-l.html
Old 06-08-2005, 08:07 PM
jakjr

Yeah I got some of them, I just dont think I would like full time 4ws because Im gonna keep my crawler relatively fast (for general bashing) so at higher speeds I dont know how well 4 ws would be.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:06 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

you can easily connect and disconect a y from a servo and lock out the rear ster if you want to bash

i have a nitro crawler so i ave a 4ws setup with the y but i can diconnect all that and lock out the rear stering in a matter of seconds and i have a bracket that comes off with body clips and my rear servo it out of the truck so i dont have to wory about smashing it if i hit jups and do wheelies down the street
Old 06-11-2005, 07:53 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

your 3PM will do kinda 4WS ... set up your rear servo on channel 3, program your Pmix to slave it to your front servo(you may have to reverse channel 3) now set your Pmix to be activated using one of your buttons... I used the one on the pistol grip... this will give you 4WS and the ability to turn it on and off. there is NO WAY to do independent steer and if you want crab steer you could go in and reverse channel 3 again to give it to ya... PIA! anyway that's about all the 3PM will do for 4WS. If you do use one of your airplane radio's( I use one of my 9C's) play nice with the plane/heli guy's and set if up on a ground frequency

BTW... 4WS SUCK's BIG TIME the faster you go... almost impossible to control.

John
Old 06-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Ahab

...No idea if this is possible, but it seems feasable to me.

you must be able to get a device that simply acts as an on/off switch that is controled by a reciever channel ( I am thinking the Scale Big Rig guys might use something like it for the lights/sounds on their trucks).

you could then put a Y harness on your steering servo, but fit the on-off onto the 3rd channel so that the switch activates the rear servo on the Y, then at a flick of a switch you could move from 2ws to 4ws...

perhaps I am way off, I dont know.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:20 PM
jakjr

For the meantime Im just going to use a 4ch airplane radio. I'm getting ready to buy a new radio (one with spectrum capabilities) so maybe itll be able to do what I'm wanting.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Lardman

I say 4ws all the way
Old 06-15-2005, 03:21 PM
RC RAC3R

I think 4WS would be great for tight courses etc. but high speeds would cause a roll.. just my thinking..

anyways if i remember i will post, cuz im getting a tlt soon with 4WS already installed.. but it has a stick radio..[:'(] .. lol