Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

new to RC

Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 AM
tadbit47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to RC

hello I am new to RC and would like to become involved in Rock Crawling I have both a Traxxas E-MAXX adn HPI Savage and would like to know if either would be good for crawling?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Ahab

Default RE: new to RC

people do build good crawlers out of e-maxxes, but it takes a lot of work. The Savage is Nitro and is therefore not ideal.

Nitro engines have lots of power, but it all happens at high RPM. this makes it very hard to balance the truck - by the time the revs are high enough to engage the clutch you have too much power - basicly it means that you will tip over backwards a lot. Also, as RC nitro engines are air cooled they rely on the truck moving at some speed to keep the motor cool. Crawlers go 5mph tops, so you will have lots of overheating problems with the savage (and overheating is very very bad - as I am sure you know)

but the E-maxx and the savage also suffer from the same problem when it comes to rock crawling - their suspension.
independant, double wishbone type suspension such as that found on the Savage or Maxxx trucks is great for high speed stability and good handeling through turns. but for rock crawling you want rigid axels and 4-link suspension - this allows mcu greater suspension travel and the "Articulation" that crawler guys rave about. Those that crawl with their E-maxxes have usualy converted them to a 4-link design, which is a lot of work!

not to be totaly negative though - if you want to crawl, then your E-Maxx will do the job pretty well, just nowhere near as well as a 4 link truck would.
If you open your front and rear diffs and put a blob of Silly Putty in them it will stop them from working - this stops a wheel cocked in the air from spinning freely whilst its counterpart with grip stays still - with locked diffs then both wheels turn at once regardless and you will find it much more capable on the rocks.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:43 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

yes i say crawl the maxx thay do vary well for a begginer and once you want to go biger go for a clod or somthing like that with four link suspension will do better in a maga crawling compation
Old 06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
SuperCrawler

there are many using maxx trucks at rccrawler.com
Old 06-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Daveyboy2oo1

Sell the Maxx for at least $125-150 w/out the EVX and Radio. Then get a cheap used clod around $125 and Fab up a Simple Chassis $30 with Traxxas Rod Ends. All you need is a Hacksaw and Drill. We will Help you get through it.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:25 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

or you can do that its your prefrence do whet you want as it is your truck