Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

TLT-1 - more ground clearance, without making wider/longer?

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

TLT-1 - more ground clearance, without making wider/longer?

Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 AM
GadgetGuy2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TLT-1 - more ground clearance, without making wider/longer?

Hello all,

I am trying to identify ways for the TLT-1 to have more ground clearance - without making it longer / wider.

I have read the article "RCU Magazine How-To - How to Build A Better TLT-1", and I will try to use (most/all) from it.

Would you have any other ideas about how to do this ( and at the same time keep the center of gravity as low as possible?)

The Tamiya TLT-1 carbon fiber chassis ( as per Tamiya website) seems to have several mounting points for the various links - resulting to a higher ground clearance. Has anyone tried this? Is it true?

The above mentioned article talks about using plastic Losi Mini-T shocks. Could anybody tell me what part I need to order from Towerhobbies to do this mod?

Thanks for any comments...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
RC RAC3R

Default RE: TLT-1 - more ground clearance, without making wider/longer?

If your intention is to do some rock crawling.. then you are going to want a longer wheelbase.. this also helps on the center ground clearance...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
GadgetGuy2005

ORIGINAL: RC RAC3R

If your intention is to do some rock crawling..
Rock crawling and bashing (indoor and out )is my intention - but I chose the TLT-1 because I wanted to smallest 4 WD/ 4WS mini truck - and if I can I want to keep it as small as possible...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

small rock crawlers =equil small rocks for rock crawling but you will have to widen and langhten to get a high ground clerance and a low cog
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 PM
RC RAC3R

ORIGINAL: madman 3000

small rock crawlers =equil small rocks for rock crawling but you will have to widen and langhten to get a high ground clerance and a low cog
yeah thats for sure...
Old 07-09-2005, 01:06 PM
screwloose

all you have to do to rise the chassis a little is to replace the plastic connections from the rockers by the longer that are also in the kit (sorry for my language, i'm dutch)
by a "normal" car you got the shocks, this one has rod's there, the plastic thingy between the rod and the axls can be replaced by antother, it's almost the same but a bit longer, maybe you have to rotate you axle's a little te prevend the binding in the dogbones but, that's it!
the problem you'll find when doing this is you point of gravity, it's even higher than it was, beware of that!! after this modd, i completely redisigned the car and now it run's way better!! showing off:
Old 07-09-2005, 03:52 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

yesyou can do that but you have lenghtend and widend and bigger tires he wants his to be stock
and if you want to go rock crawling lengthen it and widen it and you can run bigger tires
Old 07-09-2005, 05:36 PM
screwloose

and i quote:
after this modd, i completely redisigned the car and now it run's way better!! showing off:

so. like i said, i did the mod i discribed first and AFTER that is completely redisigned the car....
it's not ment to be a crawler, it's a basher, i crawl with my clod, that's WAY better for it!