Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

E maxx crawler

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:19 AM
tourer-to-monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E maxx crawler

Had my E maxx a while and was wondering whats the best way to turn it into a crawler?
Just a couple of questions could you give the top three.
1. What are the best shocks to use?
2. What motors?
3. Gearing?
4. Chassis?
And anything else that will help the project.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:47 AM
RC Collector

Default RE: E maxx crawler

On a stock E-Maxx, all you really need to do is lock the diffs and mount a grippy set of tires - I used a set of stock Savage 25 rims & rubber on mine. It has lots of torque in low gear with the stock motors, and the stock springs are on the softer side, which is what you want.

Purists will argue that the independent suspension will never make it as good a performer as a solid-axle setup. That may be true, but half the battle in crawling is to pick the right line through the terrain, no matter what your suspension configuration.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:59 AM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

true but do you know how much arn lenght you would need to get the articulation as a solid axle
Old 07-30-2005, 12:21 PM
RC RAC3R

try this... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12386

there is some good info there on How-To
Old 07-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Jeepjunky

Try this:

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.ph...V28MN&i=151029
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.ph...V28MN&i=142263
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.ph...V28MN&i=142248

This is the chassis I sell. It's available as a roller or in kit form. Just got on here and am opening a store to show off this stuff. If anyone is interested in a setup just let me know. I have fair prices on all my parts.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 07-30-2005, 11:24 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

you sell those as rollers so just put electronics in and crawl
Old 07-31-2005, 03:14 AM
mitch_18_mtb

or you can do what i did.

1 silly putty in diffs.
2 make wheelbase (make some sort of extension between chassis and bulkheads)
3 grind stock a-arms upper and lower to allow then to get more flex and then mount the shocks on the upper a-arm (drill hole in arm) experiment with different mounting places.
4 take foams out of tires
5 buy integy 55t lathe motors (extremely long runtimes) LOADS of torque
6 maybe like a 13t -72t gearing
do the one battery mod to the EVX and run one lathe motor and one battery.
7 lock tranny in first gear by gluing the first gear gear to the slide thing and gett rid of the shifting fork and servo.
8 buy a hitec 645 servo.
go have fun!
PS if there are any questions on how to do this stuff just PM me or something or post it here
Old 07-31-2005, 06:41 AM
tourer-to-monster

Can you post some pics of your E maxx crawler
Old 07-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Jeepjunky

I get $300USD for the roller, just add electrics and go. All new parts, nothing used and a handmade chassis make this an incredibale crawler. I also have chassis kits for $160 USD that you build and modify your existing Emaxx on. The chassis kit includes all links, steering tie rods and the required hardware to build a complete truck. Both setups feature lower center of gravity, no torque twist and climb almost anything. Chassis is the same regardless if you buy a roller or kit. 16"WB, 4 1/4" under axles, 5 1/4" under chassis.
I wouldnt' suggest useing silly putty on the diffs as it falls apart, better off useing JB weld(slow setting kind). Use a single lathe motor with 72/9 gearing, single battery for less weight, glue or screw the tranny together into first gear and use the Hitec 645mg servo for steering.

Here is the finished truck, RTR:
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.ph...V28MN&i=160618
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.ph...2V28MN&i=16061
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.ph...V28MN&i=160620

Thanks,
Randy
Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 PM
mitch_18_mtb

silly putty does to work ive had it in mine since i got it almost a year ago.it basically locks the diff and only allows one wheel to turn faster than the other if you really twist them in opposite directions hard. i found 72/9 gearing to be a little slow and it didnt give it enough wheelspin when you needed it (using a 55t lathe motor from integy) batteries for camera are charging ill post a pic of it in a while i get a good amount of travel. i can put the front right wheel on my radio controller and the rear left wheel on a 3 inch high box. its not no extreme crawler but ive never had issues where i wanted alot more.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Jeepjunky

chill out mitch, nobody is flaming you, just stating from my experience. The silly putty tends to dryout and crumble. The issue with gearing and articulation depends on the area you are driving. Please post pictures of your truck, I like too see what others are doing, there is always more than one way to get the same results.....FUN!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 PM
RC RAC3R

ORIGINAL: Jeepjunky

chill out mitch, nobody is flaming you, just stating from my experience. The silly putty tends to dryout and crumble. The issue with gearing and articulation depends on the area you are driving. Please post pictures of your truck, I like too see what others are doing, there is always more than one way to get the same results.....FUN!
yeah... i agree.. some of the guys on rccrawler also say that silly putty is the worst they have seen... because if and when it does crumble.. you have crap everywhere... but whatever works to lock the diff... its all about having fun...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:53 PM
mitch_18_mtb

jeepjunky i know nobody was flaming me i was just stating my opinion and experiences sorry if it sounded like i was getting worked up about it. i turned my e-maxx into a crawler and it cost me nothing i only used stuff i already had which wasnt much to begin with ill post pics in a while
Old 08-01-2005, 05:22 AM
tourer-to-monster

cool cant wait to see them
Old 08-02-2005, 06:25 PM
buggyman17

stock e maxx's are good crawlers. right? i want to get an e maxx but since i have a while until i do, i would like to know some more aout how well it performs and tips for when i get it.

thanx
Old 08-02-2005, 06:30 PM
buggyman17

im not going to do any extreme crawling i just want to know what i can do with it BONE STOCK. on i have it for a while ill figure it out but before that happens i would like to know more about the performance.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 PM
mitch_18_mtb

well first off i would not leave it completely stock. get really low gearing like a 9t and then set the suspension up so you can pick on wheel up and get full flex. (corner shocks bottomed out) but with the most ground clearance possible. and take the foams out of the tires (then glue them) and lock the differentials with spools or JB weld. i would suggest spools that way if you decide you dont like crawling you can just take them out and put spider gears back in. the e-maxx is an OK crawler stock but with these simple and cheap mods you will be crawling things the stock truck wouldnt dream of
Old 08-03-2005, 05:37 PM
buggyman17

thanx. the only thing is that i want it to be an all around truck. i mostly run on the street after school or after football. if i make all those upgrades it wont be as good on the street as it will be on the rocks. for the kind of running i do( onroad, then offroad, onroad, then offroad) so i just want something that can climb some rocks if i just decide to go climb some. not to be picky or anything; its just the way i go.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:51 PM
tourer-to-monster

i am half way through turning mine into a crawler.
Done most of the mods above and can see a way of making it 4ws and have bought an extra pair of driveshafts and replaced the centre 2. The only problems i can see at the moment are where to mount the shocks and what shocks to get. Custom built 2 servoposts and have some TXT wheels and tyres on it and have plenty ground clearance (2 stock tyres on there side)

Has anyone else done this to their E maxx and where did they mount the shocks?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:58 PM
tourer-to-monster

And it is a sloid axel now. Instead of having 2 shocks on each corner i have 2 solid links.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:44 AM
e-zilla man

hey did you say say you had 4 wheel turn on ya e-maxx i have wanted to know how to do that for yonks can you please tell me and show some pic and other stuff like that plzzzz i want 4 wheel steer yum!!!!!!!W
Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 AM
tourer-to-monster

Half way through doing it now when the four wheels steering is complete i will post some pics.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:39 AM
RC RAC3R

awesome... I cant wait....
Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 AM
tourer-to-monster

didnt do much to the truck today. Decided not to extend the front middle shaft because it makes the front steering very complicated. So the rear of the truck will be stetched. Looks fairly cool just got to put the rear servo onto the car and then see about getting some new motors.
Dont know about getting 2 lathe motors or using the stock ones or just basic 540. What sort of gearing will be best for the car?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Jeepjunky

Run one lathe motor and start with 72/9 for gearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.