Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

How much for a mid level clod project?

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

How much for a mid level clod project?

Old 07-31-2005, 12:18 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for a mid level clod project?

Sorry if these posts are everywhere, but I want a clod and am just wondering how much a mid level clod crawler would cost? Thanks,
-Wes
Old 07-31-2005, 12:32 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How much for a mid level clod project?

you can get a super clod kit of ebay for like 160 or go to rc4wd and get the unasembled axle set to a clod and get a chassis off ebay for like a hundred bucks
Old 07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
45mph pede
Banned

So im thinking around 420$, 200$ for the chassis and around 220 for the esc (supergoose and twin 550's) That about right?
-Wes
Old 07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC

ye like 130 axles and and a chassis for like 100 bucks esc and eelectronics and motor anether 150 to 200 bucks so somewere in that range of of 400 to 500 bucks
Old 07-31-2005, 03:08 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Shwee, thanks!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
RC RAC3R

If you are good you can make a custom chassis on your own... my chassis was around $20 in materials... then i just cut and designed it... check this out http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3209473/tm.htm thats my custom chassis...

A clod can get pretty pricey... it all depends on what you are running for electronics...

I have a super rooster, 19t orion motors, basic 2 channel radio but a 4ch radio is good for independant RWS (rear wheel steer)... my clod is extremely capapble... i am just in awe thinking that I made it and it goes that well...

im going to invest in some lathe motors so i can keep the 19t for my touring cars...

lathe motors give you much more torque and a lot less speed...
Old 07-31-2005, 05:18 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC

yes but you can probly pick up a clod off ebay for cheap
Old 07-31-2005, 06:48 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

They cost as much as you are willing to spend...LOL
What i'm trying to say is that it depends on what you are looking to get out of it, and how much of it you are wiling to make yourself. I've seen some very capable crawlers that people have made for very little money, but they made the links, chassis, servo mounts, link mounts, etc on their own. If you aren't willing to spend that sort of time or dont have the knowledge/tools to do this then the project will cost much more.
You have to make sure you add in all of the little stuff when deciding your budget. The chassis itself will be $100-200, axles are about $100-130 by themselves, then you have to consider other stuff. Motors, esc(s), suspension links, rod ends, link mounts, servo mounts, wheels/tires, radio, body, etc

Personally i think you are best off buying a whole clod kit. I've seen axles go for $130 on ebay, but for only $30 more you can get a whole kit which includes all brand new stuff plus an injection molded body (which you can sell if you dont want), tires, and wheels.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Alot

Youre looking at a good $500 for a nice crawler (without electronics and with a homemade chassis), you can cheap out and make a bunch of the parts for little of nothing, but unless youve got access to CNC equipment and know how to use it, I think your better off just buying the stuff premade. Much more precise, better quality, better looks.

Axles - $130 or so new
Tires - about $50
Wheels - $20 for the cheapies, about $100 for beadlocks
Links - about $100 for the good ones
Shocks - about $35
Servo mount - about $25
Upper link mounts - about $25
Rod ends - $20 or so for cheapies
Screws - $20 or so depending on how many you need
Rear lockout or servo mount - $25
Body - $25 or so for lexan, about $50 for the stock plastic one

Like I said, you can cheap out on a bunch of the parts, but considering the quality and how much time it takes to make them, your better off just buying good ones.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:38 PM
45mph pede
Banned

jak you know im not one to low ball somthing I've got all the time in the world I guess I will just watch ebay and rcu for a good deal on a used one although, from what I have seen just browsing there not all that cheap used[X(] I will toooootaly be getting bead-locks and big meaty crawling tires, honestly thats the whole reason im getting into rock crawling, the look of those big tires going up those rocks...
-Wes
Old 07-31-2005, 08:08 PM
RC RAC3R

also watch rccrawler.com in the For Sale section.. trucks are always for sale in there....
Old 07-31-2005, 08:24 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Oh yea i forgot to mention that you will save the most money by finding somebody on ebay selling a complete crawler. I bought a rtr clodzilla IV a few years ago that came with a ton of extra parts for $300. There have been a bunch of nice tube frame clods up there the last few weeks for even less.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:25 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: RC RAC3R

also watch rccrawler.com in the For Sale section.. trucks are always for sale in there....
Might also want to take a look at InetRC.com, and RC4wd.com

I know Inet sells some pretty sick custom trucks, and im pretty sure RC4wd sells a couple complete kits that use the gecko crawling chassis.