Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Tamiya TXT-1 Question on Moddification

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Tamiya TXT-1 Question on Moddification

Old 09-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Sergio M
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya TXT-1 Question on Moddification

Hello, I just got a Tamiya TXT-1, I plan on converting it in to a rock crawler slowly or as time permits. I would like to know what motors and electronic speed control you guy's think I should use or are the best for crawling. I would also like to know what kind of mods you think I should do first to get a little more articulaton. I am not planning on doing any very heavy mod to the truck for now but I do want to equip it with the right gear as far as electronic and dampers just in case I get a little crazy and go all out on it. Thank you guy's in advance for you're help. DO's and DONT'S are also welcome.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:36 PM
AddictedtoRC

Default RE: Tamiya TXT-1 Question on Moddification

You can't go wrong with a super rooster or EVX, integy lathe motors are king in the crawling world
Old 09-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Mazlem

Along with the lathes get a pair of 9T pinions and lock up your axles. Also get a steering servo with a lot of torque and metal gears if you can afford it. The Super Rooster will provide more power to the servo than the EVX. That aught to provide enough power to keep you happy while modding other parts of the truck.

It should have 60+ degress of articulation already which is all you need; if not then take off the limiters on the shocks. That said, if you want a better shock setup, you should ditch the cantilevers, get new shocks and mount them right to the axles. Integy MSR4's or MSR5's work very well. This would require cutting the chassis and possibly cutting / removing the stock battery tray if you keep that. It'd end up looking something like [link=http://207.41.92.239/Pics/Vehicles/RC/TXT/New/Battery-tray.jpg]THIS.[/link] Either way get some 80wt oil for the right-rear shock to help with torque-twist.

Some easy bolt-on mods you can do:

Swap the upper and lower suspension links to increase your wheelbase. Then replace your driveshafts with [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFY3&P=ML]REVO'S[/link] (just a little trimming on the Revo's is required.)

Either turn your tranny around or move your steering to the rear so that the rear of the truck is now the front; then swap the motor leads so they don't die on you. This will put the battery in front and increase stability tenfold.

Take off stuff you don't need - upper bumpers, rear lower bumper unless you're doing rear steering, sway bars, etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Sergio M

Thanx a lot guy's. I really appreciate all you're help, especially the pics. .
Old 10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

go to rccrawler.com. They have a whole article on making the txt a crawler for like 30 bucks.