Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Rockcrawler for a 12 year old?

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Rockcrawler for a 12 year old?

Old 11-01-2005, 03:30 PM
lvblueyedboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rockcrawler for a 12 year old?

What do you think about the Tamiya 1/18 TLT 1 Rockbuster Truck? I want to build the kit for my son. His step Dad is in to rockcrawling and I am in to R/C’s. So to be the nice Dad I wanted to build him a rockcrawler to take out when they go and do that. I want something that is durable for a 12 year old and something that his mom can take him to get parts for. He lives about 500 miles from me so I can not help him with it when he is with his mom.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:58 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Rockcrawler for a 12 year old?

i would mod a mini giant as a matter of fact thairt is one on ebay right now check it out
Old 11-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Daveyboy2oo1

A TLT would be my second choice, the Clod would be my 1st just because crawlers get bound up in cracks and what not. A Clod is much more forgiving in this type of situation, usualy they just stall out. When one wheel gets bound up on a shaft driven Truck, Damage occurs rather quickly. If you think he can fully understand the concept of what being bound up is then get him a TLT. TLT's are smaller, and easier to lug around, plus they crawl really well and are also very tough.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
RC RAC3R

Umm.. for a 12 year old.. a clod or tlt would be fine... The clod is easy to build and doesnt require as much as a tlt would to get started... and also the clods are more capable.. but the tlt's are more scale... younger people usually think bigger is better... or atleast I did...

The reason i say go for a clod is because you dont need a center tranny, no driveshafts to worry about when making a custom chassis... etc.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 AM
lvblueyedboy

Now I guess would it be better to get the TLT 1 Max Climber for more money or just get the TLT 1 Rock Buster? Then what radio would you suggest I use for either one? Remember this is for a kid so I do not need top of the line. I am not also not sure does it come with an ESC or will I have to buy one of those also? One last question can I put different bodies on the TLT 1?