Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

mini crawler

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
lohocla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini crawler

I bought the Super Slick Monster 4x4 form toysrus (myae86rolla has one, there is a thread about it).. Right away I took it apart. This thing is pretty neat. its center shaft, rear motor. I saw great potential when I simply just removed the shocks.. here is pic after removing the chassis

I have lengthened the driveshaft using 4-40 rod.. my only mod so far.. I was actually thinking of just getting bigger tires and having this as a micro stick. but I think new chassis, micro HG electrics and new slightly bigger tires. I will get some new tires and fit them on stock rims
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Anomie

Default RE: mini crawler

That's pretty cool. Such a simple mod to yield so much flex. Thanks for the pic.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:14 PM
lohocla

ORIGINAL: Reiko

That's pretty cool. Such a simple mod to yield so much flex. Thanks for the pic.
Thanks... thats what I thought too.. I started to take it apart and the first thing I did is removed the shocks.. as soon as they gone it flexed almost 90º. I was amazed.

I have decided I will make a simple ladder-type chassis from plastic layin around, and use limiting straps or mod the stock shocks. at any rate this will cost me nothign to do and will be very basic. later on maybe to make it more capable I will use HG elec. but for now it is designed to be a no-money no hassle crawler, except the intial 10 dollars spent for the vehicle, that almost anyone can do.

oh btw Reiko Ive been following your build online.. unbeleivable work[8D] You have truly mastered your skill.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:25 AM
myae86rolla

i got the same lil crawler too!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86569.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	606144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58958.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	606145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66759.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	606146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57340.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	606147  
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
lohocla

ORIGINAL: myae86rolla

i got the same lil crawler too!
Yeah I know. I had buoght 3 of these last weekend and I saw your post and it inspired me to tear it down and start a project. I love scale crawlers they are fun to work on.. I want to try and find the wally crawler though, the one that is just on/off. I hear it is good for sus*****on parts.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:08 AM
tjarr001

what about xmod electronics. will they work on this truck?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:32 PM
lohocla

ORIGINAL: tjarr001

what about xmod electronics. will they work on this truck?
Yeah I dont see why not. I maybe use my gen2 eclipse elecs for this truck... thanks for the idea
Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 PM
mOnO n.s.G^

can u post pics of the controller and what the originall body looks like? also most likely but just wondering is it digital proportion steering? and w
Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM
tjarr001

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/Fast-Lane-RC-Super-Slicks-Monster-4-x-4-Truck-1-24_W0QQitemZ280074070581QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44029QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]that is the link to one being sold on ebay. mine was 11 bucks at toysrus and the crawler upgrade was 4.99. the steering is not proportion, and i dont think the speed is either, but when i put my xmod electronics in it will be.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 PM
lohocla

ORIGINAL: mOnO n.s.G^

can u post pics of the controller and what the originall body looks like? also most likely but just wondering is it digital proportion steering? and w
yeah like tjarr said no dig proportional anything.. but with xmods or hg micro elecs will be nice..

I got the blue one. but will find a 1/24 model kit cj7 or bronco for new body and chassis
Old 01-25-2007, 07:01 PM
mOnO n.s.G^

is this how it looks stock??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85447.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	606516  
Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 PM
lohocla

is this how it looks stock??

yup thats mine..2 days ago anyway

here it is now with a 2 link I put on last night. I have some better ground clearance. I will shave those tabs off bottom of battery/elec box for more clearance. also it is sitting low because i have no shocks, but I will get around 3/8" more clearance. I have built one shock and will finish the other 3 this weekend. I need supplies

heres another mod I did. I glued those shaft mounts up up to gain as much height as I can after this i can still get more by shaving some plastic inside the elcs box so the axle sits lower inside thus raising the chassis for better clearance I will also relocate the shaft plates/mounts seen here higher up and that will surely make this sit high and be able to get over any boxset I can throw at it. maybe not Rocky though. one more movie and my 1/18 wont make it over that thing

heres the shock I made out of the stock mounts. I had one hell of a time getting the old rod out.. but this new 4-40 fits really snug. I used tubing on one end, I just drilled the hole out. dont know size of tubing. at the HS/Do-it-Center I just started testing the rod in the tubing and grabbed a couple of the ones it fit in. I will cut to size on monday when the snap-on guy comes to my shop with my new dremel, 3/8" air ratchet, micro torch(handy for soldering if you dont have gas or a bernzomatic) and some other tools I got.
Im gonna fill in where I snipped it on top with JB weld then grind it smooth.

xmod elecs next as suggested by tjarr001, chassis and bigger tires. I maybe just fill with foam the stock tires, from a pede spare tire I have. all that foam could probably do 8 tires for this thing.. new body also.. jeep cj7 maybe or a 56 willys ( http://www.pbase.com/kjosker/image/44973954 )
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
myae86rolla

thats great that i inspired you to build one. good job on the work that u done. FYI my axle to one of the wheels had broken. it broke after maybe 2 hours of play time with the locked diffs... so just watch for those axles....
Old 01-25-2007, 10:34 PM
lohocla

ORIGINAL: myae86rolla

thats great that i inspired you to build one. good job on the work that u done. FYI my axle to one of the wheels had broken. it broke after maybe 2 hours of play time with the locked diffs... so just watch for those axles....
thanks alot for the info. I will keep note of that when playing..

Im going to post more pics tomorrow. When I leave the office I am going to start work right away on the xmod electrics and then finish the shocks
Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 AM
mOnO n.s.G^

im def gettn 1 to run over my truggy lmao[:'(] is it 4wd,what batteries it runs on, is it like the car version ss's that you charge them from the tx holder??
Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 AM
lohocla

im def gettn 1 to run over my truggy lmao[:'(] is it 4wd,what batteries it runs on, is it like the car version ss's that you charge them from the tx holder??
It is 4wd it has a rear motor and a center shaft powers the front wheels. the car takes 4 AA type. the tx takes a 9v
Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 AM
mOnO n.s.G^

aii thnkz
Old 01-26-2007, 11:09 AM
tjarr001

well i checked out the xmod stuff last night and the motor and stering are too small but you may be able to use the esc. and another thing, the xmod light kit plugs strait into the top of this crwawler. the motor from the xmod im sure can be modded to fit the fastlane crawler i know that the motor shaft size are the same. if the esc from the xmod will work in it, then you will have dig proportional stering and speed. but i dunno if it can hold up to the bigger motor and bigger servo motor
Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM
lohocla

How is the steering too small? and as long as I can have digi proportinal speed I dont care about anything else.

sad news indeed. At least maybe there is still hope for the esc
Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 PM
hands without shadows

If that doesnt work out you could always use the inside of a servo for an esc, just a thought.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 PM
lohocla

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

If that doesnt work out you could always use the inside of a servo for an esc, just a thought.
please to explain... inside of a servo has an esc?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:15 PM
mOnO n.s.G^

man i went 2 ma local toysrus before looking to get one and they had the rock crawlin and street ugrade kit but no cars that just sucks
[&o]
Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 AM
lohocla

man i went 2 ma local toysrus before looking to get one and they had the rock crawlin and street ugrade kit but no cars that just sucks
[&o]
If you cant get any I might be able to send you one. let me know
Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
mOnO n.s.G^

aii bet ima proly try again later
Old 01-28-2007, 05:51 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: lohocla

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

please to explain... inside of a servo has an esc?
A servo works by having a potentiometer (pot) that is attached to the drivetrain acting like an angle sensor of sorts. When the pot is not at the angle it is supposed to be the motor turns to achieve that angle. The angle the pot is supposed to be at can be changed by giving throttle or steering. Basically....if you replace the pot with resistors or just center it the servo board will act as an esc for the motor. [link=http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26223]Here[/link] is a link to a buildup that used a servo board as an esc on a similar-ish project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.