Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

First time builder

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM
andrewhendler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time builder

Ok guys,

I want to build a crawler on a budget. This will be my first rock crawler. I have building experince and rc experiance as well.

First off I have the motor, I guess I would like to build it around that. This is going to be for personal use, so it doesnt have to be comp legal.
I plan on buying cheap as possible and used alot for this project so keep this in mind when making suggestions.

The motor is an 8L fiegao. I have some other parts haning around as well.

I'll want to start with the chassis, I dont want to build it so is there a truck (or car) that I could find that would be suitable for more than the chassis or parts towards this, or a cheap crawler chassis out there somewhere that works good. I like the look of the real custom tube chassis crawlers. I would like to buy as least as possible for this project, I guess I'll call it budget crawler.

I know I have not given a budget limit as I am looking to make this as cheap as possible.

Thanks for the help guys

Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 PM
lohocla

Default RE: First time builder

I havent looked into too many chassis kits but Crawford Performance Engineering has nice chassis for good price. . tlt-1 rockbusterfrom tamiya are cheap at 70 dollars for the kit but you use only the axles from that but tis a good start. the new Wheely King 4wd is coming soon at 209 rtr which includes almost everything you would need to build a good crawler I think this might be a good option for you for a budget. you wouldnt need that much to get it proper.

heres a link http://www.hpi-racing.eu/kit-info.ph...e&partNo=10831
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 PM
andrewhendler

So I can just buy the axles right?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:41 PM
lohocla

yeah. you can buy tlt-1 axles, clod axles. Im sure you can find wheely king axles somewhere. umm what am I forgetting emaxx and tmaxx if locked out, jugg and jugg2. if your lookijg for just axles I would get a tlt-1 rockbuster, you might find them somehwere online still, pede tranny, they run about 45-50 bucks. you say you have a motor, Ive never heard of that type. how many turn motor is it? a chssis like I said from CPE or thecrawlerstore.com has nice chassis.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 PM
andrewhendler

Its brushless, do you guys do brushless motors, also from the looks of it I need two motors? Like I said I am going to be a complete newbie to rc rock crawling
Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 PM
andrewhendler

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MONSTER-GT-o...QQcmdZViewItem

any good?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 PM
lohocla

two motors for if you are using clod axles other wise most others will have a single motor in the middle on some type of tranny powering both axles with shafts.
yeah lots are using brushless and swear by it. mamba max for esc is whats used most. you can get one at holmes hobbies.

ORIGINAL: andrewhendler

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MONSTER-GT-o...QQcmdZViewItem

any good?
those are just the cvd's You would still need axle housing for those and many other oarts such as the diffs and stering knuckles.

heres a nother optuion
http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/geartrain.html scroll down to clod axles. these require two motors on each axle and in the long run will be rather expensive imo witht he cost of 40 series, jumbo, or xl series tires.
I cant seem to find tlt axles anywhere they are hard to find nowadays. I would defenitely reccomend a wheely king 4wd though if not clod. form what I hear and read these will be the new standard replacement for the discontinued tlt-1 and at 209 you cant beat that for rtr
Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 PM
andrewhendler

and I can use the tlt for those parts?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 PM
lohocla

yeah thats all the tlt is good for is the complete axles, buit like I said good luck finding it. go for a wheely king, I am getting one myself as soon as they available. Since I build my own tubers (newbie, though I have gotten quite good) that is one cost I can keep down. and then will need only a 55t lathe motor and I already have 2.2 tires and wheels for it
Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 AM
5150bronco

IT IS NOT GOING TO BE CHEAP!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 AM
andrewhendler

5150 bronc, Im not even going to respond to you.

Ok, so it looks like I am going to be building the crawler out of a tubular chassis. I happend to have lohocla offer to build me a chassis. I am now going to scrouung around for parts for the beast. I am going to build it from the chassis out. Also what size controllers are you guys using for brushless. How many amps are you guys pulling on hard climbs, ect. My motor is a low KV and has tons of torque. Also would revo suspension components work for this.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM
cartronicshn

i have no idea on the revo parts, as i only own clods and tlt's, but i have several bl setups, you should go here www.holmeshobbies.com and contact JRH he is the owner and he can assit you with all the technical questions you might have for brushless set ups, i have mamba 25 controllers on outrunners on 2 of my clods, quark 33 on an outrunner on an xrc chassied comp tlt, and a novak crawler system on my hi lift, as for low kv somewhere around 1000kv is the reccomended spec.