Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

OFFICIAL AX10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL AX10 Thread

WoW you guys have some really sweet looking AX10's thats for sure.. Ok well I've sat here and read threw 11 pages of replies and have a HUGE list of mods, hop ups and parts to get.. But now I am totally stumped as to what I should get first, and what should be done first..

So for all of you seasoned AX10 owners can ya throw up a couple of posts for me on what I should order first, mod first and get to doing with my new AX10.. Its the RTR Version btw..

Thanks guys
Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
dhyde79

first mod for me was ditching the plastic links for metal, then a metal skid, then I modded steering a bit. But, before I was done with the metal links install I was adding my DX6i, my Mamba Max ESC, and Hobbico CS-170 steering servo to the truck, so.....I dunno, take your pick.....
Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
MORNINGSTAR

i have an RTR too.

well it was.

now its a $1k comp rig.

first you want new tires, a new motor, better steering servo, and split packs or liop batt.s mounted on the front axel.

then take some lexan or buy a electronics mounting plate, and get your TX and ESC forward and low.

then you should four link and double triangulate your suspension linkages.

that turns the thing into a crawler, and will suprise the hell outta you with what it can do.

best upgrde i have found is a SWX chassis.

also as far as skids and lower links go, stay away from alluminum. delerin slides like butter over the rocks. and i personally prefer the strait lowers opposed to the bent ones.

youll get there. i love the AX. i can hang in there with the MOA's and Losi's for sure
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
dhyde79

ORIGINAL: MORNINGSTAR

then you should four link and double triangulate your suspension linkages.

that turns the thing into a crawler, and will suprise the hell outta you with what it can do.
youll get there. i love the AX. i can hang in there with the MOA's and Losi's for sure
agreed, 4 link it, it's a HUGE difference in performance....

also, wth is a MOA?!?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

not to start an arguement, but it is better to run a delrin skid, metal tends to get caught up on rocks whereas the delrin will glide smoothly, among other hop ups get the aluminum links, and tthen you can get these plastic straws to slip over them which aids in the metal not binding up on rocks. I would also recommend getting rid of the stock plastic shocks ASAP, they are notorious for the caps popping off and breaking. I personally run the older threaded Losi aluminums on my comp rig. Also get the slipper assembly which helps prevent ruining the tranny gears when you get stuck. eventually you can try to find the metal gears for the tranny I did after a whole lot of searching got a set in a tranny I got with my VF/DNA dig unit. Lastly get a good set of tires like the panther cougars. they are the softest compound and stick to rocks like a suction cup garfield doll
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
husky385

Mornigstar is right. Also if you want to get your CG a little lower you might try droop suspension. I seem to go where the higher clearance crawlers do with a slight line change.
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44540.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1242051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60260.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1242052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34264.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1242053  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 AM
calvino

Took my crawler out for a little spin yesterday... mad fun. Glad i brang 2 sets of tires: CR-01 treads (came with the car) and those RC4WD Rims/Mud Slingers. Funny that the CR-01 tires gripped better than the RC4WD just because they would conform better due to them being "squishy". Surprised the Mud Slingers didn't have any vent holes on the rim... that was part of my problem other than the springs.... Anyone have experience with the Intergy Spring set... im not in the mood to burn $20 on springs alone [X(]. Other than that, the car worked like a CHAMP, can't wait to take it out again. Should get my little onboard cam working again.... Sortof funny how most of the people on here are from CA

Name:	Hf99246.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1242079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15029.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1242080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73086.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1242081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72105.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1242082  
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 AM
djzachtyler

ya that is a funny thing about us Cali folks bein all up on this thread I'm in the Bay Area, and there is a ton of spots to go crawl round here, as compared to spots to run my nitros, Crawling has gotten huge in my area, spots my buddy and I used to go where you could get a good few hours in just crawling, now you have to actually take turns and wait in line. Everybody is getting into it out here... Guess it helps that we have all the best rock formations in cali, and the weather allows near year round crawlin as well...
Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 AM
calvino

Yep, im lucky, every week my sister has dancing lessons at a friends house so my luck the crawling site is on the way ([X(]) horray for me, so that means I can get alot more crawling in..... and just tag along. Sure is one heckofa fun car since you can do it anywhere. Got any opinions on how to "soften up" my Mud slingers (inside). Thinking of star cutting the foam, thing is though it NEEDS! a vent hole but IDK whether to do it on the tire (not the rim though).... im stuck, opinions [8D]
Old 07-25-2009, 01:40 AM
djzachtyler

I have the MDX Aluminum beadlocks that had no hole, what I found works is just to leave one of the screws removed on the inner ring and it allows the air to flow As far as foam goes have you considered good soft memory foams? that is what I have inside my panthers with a stiff foam ring glued to the outside to support the sidewall since the panthers are uber-soft
Old 07-25-2009, 01:43 AM
calvino

aaah so that explains why some work better than others . I love the mud slingers minus the huge tread pattern which seems to "rub" over the rocks instead of grip. Looking at some moabs M3 or G8 compound... took it crawling more at a new location but the rocks were a bit to big.... so next time im back with my fave rocks (sandstone in Simi Valley!) I will take it out, darn, gota order a new battery for my little flycam 2, then i can get onboard vids
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
cubnpede82

OK guys, haven't posted in a while, and my camera is on the fritz, so still no pics of my AX10 RTR.
I was headed toward making it a comp rig but went to a couple of comps and they're way too into it. I would need alot of work I fear to get my rig to make it through any of their gates. I have since decided to make it more of a scale/trail 2.2 truck. Anyone here have any info on 2.2 scalers?????

I have looked into the X-Trail and it seems nice, but you gotta come up wsith alot your self. like body mts, electronics mts. and battery tray.

I am thinking of using the scx10 frame set, 2.2 flat irons and CR-01 rims. I got a scx10 kit body i could use or some other like proline or hpi

I currently run a TEKIN FX-R ESC (freakin' awesome) and a CC BEC, 55T tekin motor, 3S lipo, Hitec TG servo, and Spektrum DX3s.
I have the esc bec and rx in a very small tupperware, used to hold salsa in mu lunch LOL, sealed with black silicone adhesive, and the servo is sealed up and coated, vaseline on the output shaft. so far no probs with heat, reception , or anything, and the servo has been in water a few times no sweat.

I think that the scx10 frame set looks fairly complete, and the radio box looks better than my tupperware. so, 2.2 scaler here I come.
any help would be appreciated, I just started researching so any good links or other resources would be great.

happy trails
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 AM
cubnpede82

Here's a couple pics !!

Name:	Db86194.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	1310680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32842.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1310681  
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM
cubnpede82

A couple of action pics I got today with the new digital camera.
still trying to figure it all out and I think these will be huge... sorry if so...
Tell me guys, which body should I use?> I'm gonna make a 2.2 scaler with frame rails and I gotta pick the body first to set up the wheelbase. basically I have it narrowed to the HPI rubicon or bronco, 72 chev short or long, bush/FJ, but i really don't care either way.
what would you all think considering it's gonna look like it's on 48" + tires. Leaning towards the bronco or FJ.
Anyone looking for a good ESC for brushed, look no further than Tekin FX-R or pro. sure they aren't waterproof, but the axial raio box is pretty LOL and we've been battling water without waterproof gear already ... so... check it out
on order are :
SCX10 frame set
CR-01 beadlocks
2.2 flat irons
silver links set
4-link plates
and new drivelines

what else should I get for the swap?

Name:	Mj24605.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1312012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85371.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1312013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58427.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1312014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56790.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1312015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50703.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1312016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78395.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1312017  
Old 11-12-2009, 01:22 AM
husky385

Yep, im lucky, every week my sister has dancing lessons at a friends house so my luck the crawling site is on the way ( ) horray for me, so that means I can get alot more crawling in..... and just tag along. Sure is one heckofa fun car since you can do it anywhere. Got any opinions on how to "soften up" my Mud slingers (inside). Thinking of star cutting the foam, thing is though it NEEDS! a vent hole but IDK whether to do it on the tire (not the rim though).... im stuck, opinions

Take one screw out of each inside bead lock that will allow air to escape your tires.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:07 AM
calvino

Did that.... man that helped a ton So update on the Axial:
Upgraded the shafts to traxxas half shafts
Got some rovers!!!!!!!! (dang these are sticky )
got a new output coming in the mail
and i got it switched to 32P with higher gearing... ya wheel speed's nice [8D]
Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 AM
cubnpede82

here all, if anyone is interested in bodies and WB measurements...................

http://craftlab.net/epage/elibrary%20bodies.htm