Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Do Crawlers break down less than the Monster Trucks?

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Do Crawlers break down less than the Monster Trucks?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
lacofdfireman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Crawlers break down less than the Monster Trucks?

I apologize if this is a real dumb question but I am wondering if the Rock Crawlers are less maintenance than say like the Traxxas Stampede. My 9 year old drives his Stampede adn loves it but wants to get a Rock Crawler. One of the things I hate the most about the Stampede is it seems like it breaks something every time he drives it. Speed I am sure is the culprit but man these things can also take a beating. I am just curious if we will have less trouble with the Crawlers if we decide to go that route because of the slower speed. What's your opinion? I personally think the Crawlers would be fun but if they are gonna require constant repairs like our Stampede we will just keep putting our money into them.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
ryuhito

Default RE: Do Crawlers break down less than the Monster Trucks?

In my experience, I've had almost as much trouble with the crawlers as the basher trucks, but different stuff. With my crawlers I seem to get gremlins in the transmission and diffs, and overheating electronics due to the high load of crawling. My bashers see more broken arms and bumpers and stuff due to crashes.

My worry, and this is just considering the average 9-year old, no offense to your kid if he's mature, but I don't know any 9 year olds who would drive a crawler any different than they would a basher truck lol. Heck I know a couple of 15 year olds who would just floor it and try to crash the damn thing.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
lacofdfireman

My worry, and this is just considering the average 9-year old, no offense to your kid if he's mature, but I don't know any 9 year olds who would drive a crawler any different than they would a basher truck lol. Heck I know a couple of 15 year olds who would just floor it and try to crash the damn thing.
Thanks, This is exactly what I am looking for. No disrespect taken. He is good with his rc truck but is only 9 and seems to think money grows on trees. That's my fault though because I am having as much fun as he is.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
dezfan

Buy quality stuff, learn it's limits and you'll do fine.

Buy junk and then push it to do thing they are not capable of, you'll have issues.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had tons less issues with my Crawlers!! All of my MT's have had to have arms and hinges pins and servos replaced. The only parts that I have replaced on my crawlers are parts I chose to replace/upgrade! Electric crawlers require a LOT less maintainence than my MT too!! I say shef the stampede and get acouple crawlers for you and your son!!!(you can afford 2 now that you wont NEED as many replacements) But as Dezfan said buy quality first, you'll be much happier in the long run!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM
ryuhito

Fireman: you're a cool Dad, man. My Dad was just like that, he always turned into the third kid when he was with my brother and I.

One suggestion would be to take him to find a little rocky area and just kind of fake-crawl it with the Stampede. See what he does. If he's still just a trigger yanker you know to wait, but if he understands that he needs to go slow, then you are stoked cause you have new projects!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Hordsak

My axial is very reliable. Just put a 55t lathe motor in it, and it will be hard to "crash" violently that's for sure, and it will be great at what it was meant to do, and that's crawl. Let's put it this way, I replace parts on my Savage after a day of bashing, and after a day of crawling, I have nothing to fix, but I do like to tweak it out for more performance. Ie: Mounting links in different places, getting more weight over the front axle etc.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM
ForkliftJeff

Every time I take out my Savage, my day usually ends with something broken. Which is fine with me because I love fixing/modding/upgrading things. But my Axial crawler on the other hand, I pass it around so all my friends can try it, and I've never had a problem. Which I think is kinda lame sometimes. I like having to do repairs. It's a good excuse to buy upgrade parts. I think you and your kid will have a blast with crawlers. Get him an Axial Scorpion, you'll love it.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

ORIGINAL: dezfan

Buy quality stuff, learn it's limits and you'll do fine.

Buy junk and then push it to do thing they are not capable of, you'll have issues.
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Snaut Rocket

I actually had the same question but didnt want to ask it here[sm=red_smile.gif]
Do any of you have problems with a axle over heating or gears going by by if its not under a heavy load.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

I actually had the same question but didnt want to ask it here[sm=red_smile.gif]
Do any of you have problems with a axle over heating or gears going by by if its not under a heavy load.
Never. How tight is the gear mesh in the axle? Just like pinion/spur mesh you have differential mesh which you adjust with shims. Its hard to describe what the mesh should be like, but shouldn't be tight or loose.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Trimmy
My Feedback: (4)

I haven't had any troubles out of my crawler other than snapping a stampede shaft for the first time the other day.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 AM
ludog

well, I have a ten year old, and i bout 2 axial scorpions. lots of fun!!!!
I made a little trail in the backyard for him to learn about crawling. he is starting to understand ( tire position ).
know we can go to the local rock pile ,and crawl with the other guys.
and yes my rig is more tricked out then his.Im nice but not stupid ! ha ha ha !!!
good luck !!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Truggies

I am new to the Rock Crawler scene but i can tell allready that the crawlers have much less trouble than my MT's do. The MT's are just so heavy and have extreme amounts of power and with all that power they hit things really hard causing them to have problems. The crawlers are quite a bit more docile. And with 45-55 turn motors they aren't speed demans. My son is 11 and we desided to get a crawler after watching some of the local guys play with theirs a couple weeks ago, The 2.2's are a good size to start out with and are easy to build fairly inexpensizly. RC Rock Crawling is really catching on hear where we live and we are thinking of getting a second one. We bought the Axial AX10 kit. Its simple and it works. www.CKRC.com has all the parts you could want and www.rccrawlers.com has all the info you could ever need. abandon the Stampede and get a crawler, you want be sorry. We think they're great and I think you and your son will too!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my lightly modded wheely king hasnt had any problems(streched 2'', locked diffs) the esc has gotten warm when driving up walls in the house tho. im going to get a mini cooling fan to mount over it.
the wheely king is not a true crawler, as the chassis was made to look like a monster truck, not go over rocks. it has a high CG and low ground clearance(compared to the ax 10 and other kits) but it can do some really cool things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRcQKysISMk
with the stock motor, gearing and tires it goes 11mph. thats not very fast, but going 11mph on rough trails where your stampede would keep getting stuck will make it seem fast and be lots of fun for you kid(an you) also, with true rock crawlers have like 55t motors and the truck cant go more that 5 mph. since the WK doesnt go really fast, it is less likely to break stuff.
also, it is cool to have a rc that you drive around pulling wheelies and looking cool, then say "hey that playground slide looks cool, ill try to climb it" and the wheely king does it.
it is a fun "all around" truck.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
603kid
My Feedback: (35)

I spent 50 clams total all last season on parts for my crawler. I see guys in my LHS that drop that every weekend for parts on MT's and 1/8 scale buggies, which is ok, but crawlers are solid. The initial cost is high but maintaining them is pretty reasonable, so don't be afraid to try the crazy lines...that's what makes it fun! [>:]