Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Old School?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 PM
nikg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School?

I really want to get a truck with crawler capability of some sort. Ideally a Wheely King 4wd is what I want. It is the right size for indoors or outdoors plus it can crawl or bash a little. Not super slow but not super fast. The problem is I have a very limited budget and even used WK's are going for more than i want to spend right now.

What I want to know is are any of the older trucks any good as crawler/basher duty trucks? I've seen Kyosho USA 1's, Bigfoots, Blackfoots and a few others. Are they all 4wd? Can you still get parts for them? I don't need a serious crawler, just something that goes slow, has 4wd and big tires to get over obstacles.

Iknow, I know...everybody will say just save up more $ and get something better. This is not an option for me, so I'm most interested in comments about any crawler type truck on the cheap. Must be 1/10 to 1/16 scale and take regular sub-c batts.
Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 11:31 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Old School?

The USA-1 is weak and has independant suspension, plus parts are next to impossible to find. The Blackfoot has twin motors and also has independant suspension. Stock its not great but I saw a thread once about a heavily modified Blackfoot with Moabs, locked out suspension, lathe motors, and a custom chassis that seemed to do well.

I assume your looking for something old school so that you can pick it up for cheap? The Tamiya Clodbuster, Super Clodbuster, Bullhead, TXT-1, Juggernaut 2, Mammoth Dump Truck, TLT-1, TLT Max Climber, CR-01, Bruiser, Mountaineer, Blazing Blazer, Hilux, Ford F-350 High Lift, Hilux Highlift, Kyosho X-Factor, Twin Force, PTI Goliath, HPI Wheely King, and the Axial AX 10 all make good base trucks. Some have been around forever, some are new. Some are vintage and expensive. If you scour long enough you will find a deal on one of these trucks. Even if you can't find a whole truck thats ok, all you will end up using are the axles, maybe the center transmission, and maybe the shocks.

The old 3 speeds and the Mammoth are worth a small fortune but people find them dirt cheap at yard sales, thrift stores and pawn shops on a regular bases. Always keep your eyes open for them
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

The Blackfoot has twin motors and also has independant suspension. Stock its not great but I saw a thread once about a heavily modified Blackfoot with Moabs, locked out suspension, lathe motors, and a custom chassis that seemed to do well.
Blackfoots don't have two motor; they are single motor rwd. Wild Dagger, Double Blaze, Dual Hunter, and Twin Detonator are the twin motor 4wd versions of the Blackfoot.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 AM
hands without shadows

My bad, I get them fixed up from time to time.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
nikg

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really requiring old school, just cheap.
Is a solid axle an absolute must? Can an independent suspension truck still go over obstacles well enough? I think I saw the rationale once but don't remember what it was.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
hands without shadows

Solid axle is a must.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM
dacaur

yep if you wanna crawl, you gotta have solid axles. with a solid axle, when one tire goes up on a rock, the diff moves up with it, gaining additional ground clearance under the diff. With independent, when a tire goes up on a rock, just that tire goes up, and you actualy lose clearance under the diff. you are also way less likely to beak stuff with a solid axle.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

keep you eyes out, i snagged a used wheely king that had already been stretched and locked the diffs for only $140shipped. i know i got pretty lucky, but it doesnt hurt to keep looking.