Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Project Lowbucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
dezfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Lowbucks!

Well my son has gotten to the point were he isn't happy just hanging out at the comps, he wants to crawl. So at the last comp, I let him run my rig. Bad idea as he proceeded to hammer the throttle, that action w/ Axial's flubber...... I mean aluminum motor plate flexing almost cost me a chance to run.:shock:

So what to do?

I started making some calls and things started to into line.

I got a great deal on a Axial Scorpion from Johnrob at www.holmeshobbies.com and that was the starting point.

I didn't want to spend any more than absolutely necessary at this point in my sons entry into the sport. I have a GC-1 chassis, but I figured I'd let him beat on the stock chassis for a while and let him gain some experience w/ it first.

At the same time, I wanted his rig to work well for him, so I built the kit as per Axial's instructions until it was time to mount the links to the chassis.

After seeing numerous builds here on RCC, I went ahead and in-boarded the lower links to prevent them from hanging up on the rocks.

Next I tossed the kit shocks in a box. I couldn't keep the caps from leaking and popping off. As I looked around the bench, I found a set of Hot Racing 4 inch units, so on they went.

Next was the rear links, I had read Eee Pee's Axial build and found the asymmetric link mounting very tempting. Just so happens while looking for an in-expensive servo, I found a set of the Boomerang link mounts and a MG 995 in the For Sale section for $20.00!:twisted:

When they arrived, I installed the Boomerang link mounts and then started looking for some upper links as the stock links were to short after I relocated the mounting point on the chassis to improve the geometry. Got lucky and found a set of Jato Links that were perfect after a few turns of the turnbuckle!

I had the links worked out and the shocks mounted, so I moved on to tires. I knew the stock Rock Lizard tires sucked, so into the parts bin once again and pulled out my IMEZ Rubicons (these things work extremely well in our area) and mounted them on the kit wheels w/ a set of Aces Donuts memory foams after adding 6 oz's of ballast to the front wheels and 4 to the rears.

Now I needed electronics, I had got the servo, a local member gave me a good used 55t motor so all I needed was a Tx/Rx and ESC. Made a call to Jarod at www.jpcustomrcs.com and explained what I needed the stuff for. He looked around the shop and found a used TQ2 and Traxxas XL5 ESC. Good enough to start w/ (I did) and the price was right. THANKS JAROD!!!!"thumbsup"

All that was left was battery, looked into my RC18 stuff and found a Elite 1500 2/3 A 6 cell pack, perfect!

Mounted everything up, recycled my Betty body and my boy in good to go for under $250.00!"thumbsup"

I want to give a big thanks to Jarod, Johnrob, and Ross. All Missouri boys that helped me to get this rig up and running for my son. I think I'm more excited to see him run this weekend that I am to run my new BlackJack!

I lust wish my first rig would have been this nice!:mrgreen:

On to the pics.

All finished up, w/ 2 3/4 inches of center chassis clearance.

The Eee Pee Link.

Front shot.

Electronics located.

In-boarded links.

Body mounted.

Flex shot.:flipoff:
Old 04-12-2008, 03:03 PM
trtle

Default RE: Project Lowbucks!

thats pretty cool you did that for your boy. my kid is only 17 months old na dim already getting little rc cars but he doesnt know how to use them yet []

cant wait t omash around with him.

love the body simple but really cool looking.is that the orignal body? just chopped up?

The Eee Pee Link. what does thisadd again? can you explain more into detail.

hope you boy has a kcik with his new ride.

trtle
Old 04-12-2008, 05:12 PM
dezfan

Yeah, nothing like a little Father/son time on the rocks!

It is the original AX-10 body just heavily trimmed.

The Eee Pee Link is based on an asymmetric link design used by Audi, it helps to eliminate torque twist.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM
dezfan

Little man kicked azz today, got a top five w/ Project Low Bucks!:excited:

I am a proud Papa!:lol:
Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 PM
u)

Thats Awesome to see the little guy into crawling! my son is 2 1/2 and loves to watch me i cant wait till he is old enough to get his own so we can go together
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
dezfan

He had a blast, playing at the park, throwing rock in the stream, chasing a groundhog, oh and crawling.

No self imposed pressure, just having fun and he did really well. Oh to be a kid again.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
hkenvy91

my boy is 11 months now and im excited to get him started! my daughter likes my crawler and race truck, she only gets to drive the crawler around the yard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31120.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	929355  
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Snaut Rocket

Hey i didnt catch it in your above thread but what motor you running for him.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 AM
dezfan

Just a regular ol 65t Integy lathe motor.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
revofreak

Dez built an AX-10! [X(]

Looks good though. I like the body.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: revofreak

Dez built an AX-10! [X(]

Looks good though. I like the body.
I''ve built several of them, this one is the closest to stock of them all.