Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

AX10 build (first crawler build)

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

AX10 build (first crawler build)

Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
john01374

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AX10 build (first crawler build)

Guys I've build 100+ RC cars over the years but never a crawler. I purchased my AX10 a couple of months ago and it's finally time to put it together. I have a couple of question on parts I should use but let me first say that this will be a back yard runner not a comp truck. I want 4 wheel steering so I know two servos are in order along with the rear steer kit. Here’s what I’m thinking for parts and the build. Integy 55T motor, XL5 ESC (got several), Old Traxxas pistol controller, two Hitec 645MG servos, Lead weights in the front wheels and star cut the foams. Any other advise for my first crawler build? Will the 645MG’s be strong enough to handle the tires on this thing? I assume the lowest pinion size I can fit on the truck is also a good idea. How do I hook up two servos to run att he same time ? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:29 PM
dezfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AX10 build (first crawler build)

All sounds good. One thing to do for sure is to run about 3/4of an inch of fuel tubing on the inside of the shocks to shorten them up a bit. Lower the CG, prevents the drive shafts from popping off and helps to keep the caps on the shocks.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
603kid
My Feedback: (35)

Listen to Dezfan, his rigs look dialed, and as far as what to run, its more personal choice but here are my thoughts:

If you want independent rear steer, you have to mod a TQ3 or a first gen. DX3, otherwise yes, run a Y connector between your two 645's and you will have full time 4 wheel steering. They are plenty strong for a 2.2 133oz/in each.

Most of the guys in my local shop are running 3 to 5 ounces of weight in each front rim, and 2 ounces in each rear.

Star cut foams are ok, but I personaly don't like the way it makes the truck handle, I'd opt for memory foams, or just reducing the width and diameter of the stock foams a bit. The hot set up right now is to run memory foams in the front and stock in the rear, and if you do run memory drop your lead weight down a bit, memory foam is heavier and more dense than stock.

XL5 will do the job for you, and save you some cash since you already have it. Take the cash you save and drop $25 for the Axial low cg battery tray...even thought you're not competing, your rig will handle much better.

The other good upgrade is to run Traxxas shocks, they don't leak, you have WAY more spring options, and it lowers your Scorpion a bit to make it more stable.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 AM
john01374

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome guys thanks for the advise.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:18 AM
azzman

If you really want control go for a DX6 (or similar) I have mine setup mint with settings for 4 wheel steer, crab and full independant...it rocks...