Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Duratrax Cliff Climber

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 PM
thetoptanner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duratrax Cliff Climber

what is clodstall? Im sort of new to crawling, in fact Im just learning about stuff since I dont even have a crawler yet. I plan on buying an Axial AX10 in the next couple weeks with my stimulus check!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
jlanders001

Nice sidewall tread on those little tires.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 PM
thetoptanner

Ok, so I looked around and didnt find any definite answers about what clodstall is but from what I can gather it is what happens on a dual motor setup where the one of the motors sucks up all of the current so that the other motor has little power. Maybe not exactly that but I really dont know another way to explain it, But, I think I will go ahead and stick with the AX10. I think torque roll would be better than clodstall.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
thetoptanner

[link]http://duratrax.com/cars/dtxd18-cliff_climber/hop_up_chassis-lg.jpg[/link]
Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
hands without shadows

I guess Duratrax is too cool for a reversing Y harness.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM
thetoptanner

Ha! Finally I have found a video of the Cliff Climber. It is on youtube. It is a promotional video. It is a bit disappointing. I think this crawler will probably be a flop. Here are the reasons why.

1. Isnt 1/14th scale an odd size for a crawler? Larger than a 1/18th though. That gives it a couple for points I guess.
2. The dual battery and motor and compatible speed control. Who can afford 2 of everything? Who wants the hassle?
3. The price. around $240 for a RTR. Sound decent? Not when I an running across Axial RTR's on the internet in the $249 range now.
4. The RTR doesnt include batteries or charger. Most RTR's dont but for 2 Batts and a Dual Charger you are looking another 100 bucks or so.
5. The release date. This is probably the one that hurts the most. Losi is releasing the new rock crawler tomorrow. Rumors are that it is 1/18 scale Mini Crawler. From the pics I seen on this forum so far it will be setup similar to other larger crawlers such as the Axial and looks like it has lots of potential. No price points yet but I figure around the same as the Cliff climber. Plus, if its a mini it probably comes with the Battery and charger. If not, you still only have to buy one.

This is all just my opinion.

On a positive note for the CLiff climber. Dual motors means no torque roll on the axles, and the pic of the cliff climber on the Duratrax site with all the carbon fiber hop ups and stuff looks Awesome. I think the Cliff climber be better as a good 4x4 basher than a serious crawler. Not my top pick but I am a crawler fan and Sure, I would love to own one!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
atv_motocross#38

with the cheap looking body, and no bead lock rims, im definatly going with the ax10 rtr.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
thetoptanner

I would agree. I am going with the kit version but FYI if you look at the right place you can now get the RTR Axial for $239. cheapest I have found so far.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
engineerjoe

release date moved back to august and *of course* they reversed it so the RTR gets released BEFORE the kit

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXURC1**&P=7
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM
thetoptanner

RTR LOSI MINI CRAWLER 1/18. $249 INCLUDES BATTERY AND CHARGER
Old 06-30-2008, 05:28 PM
thetoptanner

Even though Im not gonna buy one (yet) there is still something about the cliff climber that is cool.