Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

building crawler

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Mud
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building crawler

I'm gonna be building my self a crawler from e-maxx parts (front and rear end) getting electronics later on and stuff. But I was wondering how much power is really needed. It's an e-maxx so it runs dual motors like the super crawlers and stuff but I've seen people just running with single motor like an integy 55t. The e-maxx is more of a 1/8 scale size truck compared to the 2.2 crawlers. But I'm not gonna be going for the 40 series wheels and 22in chassis. What I'm gonna probobly do is end up cutting down the a-arms to make it less boxy and I'm gonna run standard size wheels (I like the Imex J hawgs alot, about the size of stock maxx tires, look like theyd be real good for mudding which I also plan to do alot of, that and driving through the creek) So with the truck size I plan for, I think the the single motor will put out enough power. (The one truck with the single integy55t was probobly at least 20in long and was running LST claws on maximizer beadlocks) Just checking this with you guys to see ur opinion on it.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: building crawler

Here is a forum that deals with the E-Maxx crawlers........... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
hands without shadows

I've seen maxxle rigs with one and two motors. If you have the stock transmission you can use that with either amount of motors. Try it with one and upgrade to two if you dont like the power.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM
mojavemonster

With standard tires you might like the set up you have considering " lots of mudding". I run 55t on 40's. I need the torque to turn the tire and to get my 10 lbs over rocks. You should get your torque from duals , espesially with standard tires, and you'll get your speed when needed from being lower turn motor. I'm from Seattle originally and torque never got my truck outa the mud. It was always about full throttle from one bank to the next.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Super Mud

That's cool and thaks alot too, nobody even touched my last thread. What I was thinking about doing was using the e-maxx tranny and being able to switch it into the 2nd gear with this spare 3ch radio and with that I can run around a bit without running my motors at full throtle the whole time.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
mojavemonster

Those e-maxxes are manual trannies, huh? Thats the way to go.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

I've seen maxxle rigs with one and two motors. If you have the stock transmission you can use that with either amount of motors. Try it with one and upgrade to two if you dont like the power.
'Maxxle'? That's one I haven't seen before

Super Mud, how about you run two 55T motors in series and really get it down there. You could probably get two hours out of one charge!

110 turns - jeez I crack myself up sometimes [X(]
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Mud

hmmmmm, yea having the gear change and dual motors I could probobly do some bashing with this crawler lol. But thats what my Savage SS is for lol. Just not sure If 1 motors gonna give me plenty of power for mudding and stuff, since most crawlers are geared so low that it dosn't matter that much. Also a single motor is going to be cheaper/simpler. Though people run two motors on 1 battery. I'll probobly just start out on 1 motor with a cheap esc and just move along with it, see where it takes me. But First I need to build a chassis, been trying to get parts off e-bay but every time a deal comes along something always stops me from winning the auction. Last night a storm knocked out my interenet an hour after it passed and the internet came back on 1.5 minutes after the auction ended. Ridiculous! Alls I need is a maxx front and rear end along with an e-maxx tranny.

Also I want to get good runtime, is there any batteries you guys recomend? Or a range of mah?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:31 PM
hands without shadows

Lathe motors are built for 12v. If you have the stock E-Maxx ESC you can push 12 cells through them no problem. They really push power at that voltage. Twin 55t's on 12 volts would get you good crawling power and with the 2 speed tranny a bit of speed too. Maybe not bashing speed but race and tumble to the next rock and mudding speed.

Some people run sub-C packs, some people run 2/3A packs. If you are going to run 6 cells I would try to fit a sub-C in there somewhere. I don't know how 2/3A packs will do when powering twin motors. People do it in Clods all the time but this will be a lot heavier than a Clod.