Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

ZERO

Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 PM
dezfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZERO

Well I guess I should start a build thread for my Berg build.

Calling this one ZERO in honer of Kamikaze's sweet ass chassis! If you guys are in the market for a chassis to use on your Berg build, I highly recommend it!"thumbsup"

Also want to thank Jarrod from JP Custom RCs for the hook up on my Berg Axles as well as several other needed parts for this build! If you guys are building yourself a Berg based crawler, give Jarrod a call, he'll take care of you!

I ordered just the axle kit, so I didn't receive any of the servo mounting hardware. Luckily Nluv showed me the way and I found all the needed parts at A-Main and got them ordered! Thanks man "thumbsup"

Parts list:

Berg axles from JPCustom RC
Kamikaze Kustom's Zero Chassis
JP CUSTOM RC 35T Warrior & HHH 35T motors
Mamba Max ESC
Castle BEC
Hitec 5995 servo
Hitec HS65 "Dig" servo
Electro Disco
3 cell Lipo
Mayhem's Berg Offset 7s Wheels
Panther Cougar Tires w/ JConcepts Memory Foams
JP Custom RC 90MM shocks
Losi White & Yellow Springs
STRC 30* Bent Links
JConcepts Rock Steady Body

Got the Zero chassis assembled, like I said I only ordered the axles so a few of the pieces used from the Berg kit to complete the chassis were not in my possession, no biggie, just some upper chassis braces. I used some Carbon Fiber tubing I had lying around to fab up the braces, took all of 5 minutes. This chassis is so light and it's TINY! I'm really digging it and I love the Rising Sun on the sife of the chassis!

Next I modded the rear lockouts to help prevent them from catching my panther tires and cutting the sidewalls. Nothing fancy, just followed what others before me had done.

After I had the lock out modded and flipped, I attached and clocked the rear axle to the chassis w/ a set of STRC 30* bent links and some assorted TLT rods I had lying around. I'll beef them up at some point in the near future.

Well that's about it for tonight. So far very straight forward build, no surprises, and pretty easy to this point. I'm still waiting on my Mayhem's, some assorted hardware, Berg servo mount, and a servo for my electro disco.

After I receive my other parts, I'll finish mounting up the front axle and go to work mounting up the electronics.

I'll post up more progress as I go.

Well I'm finished mocking up the Zero.

Now I need to tear it down and finish all of the little detail work that needs to be done.

The skid needs to have the bottom edges beveled to prevent the chassis from catching on a sharp edge, the ball ends I ended up using on the front links at the chassis are binding, I need to pick up a few of the Axial belt ends like I'm using on the rear of the rig, still waiting on my Berg servo mount and my Losi White springs. Mounted up a set of Axial wheels to make it a roller, my center chassis clearance is sitting right at 3 inches, Pretty much what I was expecting. It's sitting at nearly 11 inches wide w/ the Axial wheels off set, can't wait on my Mayhems to arrive.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:37 PM
TWIZTED_SAVAGE_K4.6

Default RE: ZERO

omg that is a beautiful crawler my friend. i wish i had the resources to make something like that

excellent job kepp posting pics of the new progress
Old 06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
dezfan

Thanks, more progress pics coming. Just waiting on parts delivery.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 PM
thetoptanner
My Feedback: (2)

Nice looking rig you have there! Looks bulletproof! Too bad I aint got that kind of dough!!
Why does everyone give a long list of totally cool equipment they put into their crawler but never give a total finished cost.
Would be interesting to know how much cash it takes to build different rigs with different setups.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM
dezfan

Thanks for complement, this rigs projected cost is in the $1,100.00 range.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Anomie

Another top build, Dez. Nice work!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
dezfan

Thanks Reiko.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
dezfan

Guess I should update my build. I've slowly been receiving parts and squeezing some build time in every chance I can.

Got my Double DUD electro disco built again, the first time I built it the damn servo let the magic smoke out so I had to tear it down, get another servo and rebuild it.:roll:

Also received my double ended ball end for my steering set up. I need to get some more carbon fiber tube, as it sets w/ the tube I had on hand came up about 6mm short. It's not as trick as Nluvs set up, but it will work.

I was worried about the aluminum cases dragging on the rocks as aluminum isn't known for it's "slipperiness". I came across some Teflon sheeting on the bay w/ adhesive backing, ordered a sheet up and installed it on the lower portion of the cases and a strip to the motors. The Teflon I got is .30 thick and doesn't want to conform to the axle tubes very well so I ordered some much thinner Teflon to use on the axles tubes.

I also received and installed a set of MTHeads Berg lock outs and installed them. Nice snug fit and work like a charm!

Lastly, I got my Mayhem Berg offset 7's in, I'm using the rings from my Double Phatty wheels that I ordered for my Black Jack, sold the BJ before I got a chance to use these so I'm going to use them on the Berg for a bit.

The 7's are to pretty to hide so I'll switch back to the standard rings pretty soon."thumbsup"

Well that's it for now, If my pinions come in the mail tomorrow, I'll get to run this thing Sunday at the next CMRCRC comp.

Until then, later.8)
Old 07-26-2008, 06:08 AM
rock bull

Dez ur the freakin man.[8D]
Old 07-27-2008, 07:18 AM
savagecommander

isnt the mamba max brushless only?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:09 PM
dezfan

Nope, the Mamba can run brushed and brushless.

Best ESC I have ever owned. I have a couple of them as well a Sidewinder in my Slash.

I can't really see myself owning another brand of ESCs at this time.