Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

TL-01B... crawler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Dorigecko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TL-01B... crawler?

Hi,

i'm not usually one to spend 400 bucks on something i may end up not liking, so I thought I could be resourceful.

I have an array of TL-01 parts, and i'm about to build a TL-01B with mass ground clearance. Thing I wanna know is if the lack of gearing options is going to be a hassle? i would think that a set of normal-speed tamiya gears and a 19t pinion combined with a very, very, very high turn lathe motor would do the trick.

just so the people with a little less imagination can read:

Will normal gearing be too low (fast) for use with a 40-80 turn motor?
Do 1.9" or 2.2" tyres and rims fit normal sized 1/10 hex-drives?

If you don't actually have answers to these questions, or you're just gonna try talk me into an ax-10 or cr-01, turn off your computer and re-think your hobby
Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 AM
magnat

Default RE: TL-01B... crawler?

I have tried this...
I used a HBX Bonzer and used a HPI X-35T Motor and well the problem is, the TL-01 chassis really doesn't offer too much in the way of suspension..
I used 75mm Shocks and when I went to 80mm, the dog bones kept falling out...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 AM
K_B

Those TL-01s might make a decent "trail" rig, but the problem I see is that you're trying to get something to work like an AX-10 and just isn't designed for crawling. You're selling yourself short. The TL-01 is gonna be mediocre at best and isn't going to give you any idea of what a true crawler is capable of.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 AM
magnat

Yes... a Decent Trail rig is correct... they do go some pretty cool places...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSrHhfzkgw
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Dorigecko

this is where i get confused.

as i've already done it.

and it works. only problem i'm encountering is that it tips quite easily at 75°, and i'm pretty much cooking the little silver can i've been experimenting with. 70t motor is the next step.

if i could get some pics, i would.

kb, i'm not selling myself short. because, i had all of the parts sitting around. i used the wheels and tyres from my slash, pretty much everything from a TL-01b apart from the shocks which are from the front end of a schumacher cat. i also didn't want an ax-10. i know how they work. i wanted mid-level and easy and fun and cheap.

wondering if it's possible to run a smaller pinion than 19t?