Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Wheel weight verses front end weight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Wheel weight verses front end weight

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
uncle sky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel weight verses front end weight

Is it better to have the weight on the front of the chassie or is it better to have the weight in the wheels? I have added weight in my wheels by putting the stick on lead weights around the inside of the wheels (around 4.5 oz per wheel). then wrapping it with some electrical tape so it won't come loose and move around. I fear that I might not have put in as much as I might have needed, so I added the stick on weights to the front end. I have a battery tray taped on top of the steering servo and that is where I put the lead weights. Not sure if I did the right thing but I figure that as long as there is sufficient weight on the front end and at a low point on the chassie, it should do the job.
It would be a pain in the rear if I have to take the bead locks off again and undo everything that I have done. That is why I am asking this question.
Hopefully, one of u pros out there wil be able to make some sense of what I have tried to explain to u!
Got an answer for me???

Thanks, Uncle Sky
Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wheel weight verses front end weight

EDIT: plz delete, wrong thread
Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM
BadClownCrawler
Banned

getting the weight as low as possible is best for the rigs COG. so on the inside of hte rims under the foams is the most common and likely the best place to add weights.

alot of guys shift things around on their axle and can use their battery packs on the axles which also keeps the cog nice and low.

generally the front wheels get about 50% to 80% more weight than the rears (helps keep the front biting as you crawl up a slope) somewhere between 5 and 12 oz is normal, but ive seen where guys have had as much as 16 oz in each front wheel while the rears tend to get 3 to 8 oz
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Gex_61

Putting weight on the axles will only give you a lower COG if you can mount the weight lower than where the center of the wheel is, correct? Putting weight in the wheel will give you a lower COG than putting it on top of the axle.

Putting weight in the wheels versus just putting it somewhere on the front of the chassis will also make your suspension work differently. If your right front tire is going over a gap (off the ground) with weight in the wheel, your right front is going to want to sink into the gap more easily. With the same amount of weight mounted on the front axle instead, your tire won't sink down as much. You would need much more weight mounted to the axle to get the same effect.

I am no pro driver... yet; I don't even have a crawler yet (coming soon), but this is how I think things would work. If I'm right, then it gives you quite a few different tuning options. Please correct me if I'm wrong. When I do get my crawler, I'm sure this will be something I test. If undoing my beadlock rims a couple of times will help me get my crawler to handle better, I'm doing it.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
uncle sky

I too am new to rock crawling. Been in the r/c plane side of the hobby for 20 years. But this is all new to me! I have memory foam in the tires and when I put the weights around the wheel, it was a bear trying to get the memory foam over the weights without ripping it to shreads. If I add more weight to the wheels I'm afraid that I will tear up the memory foam when doing so. The rig is an Axial ARTR and is a pretty potent rig as it sits. I am just learning the ropes myself and figured that I would get some replies from u folks who are into crawling. I think that I will take off the rims and tires and try adding more weight to the wheels again. Hopefully, successfully without tearing the foam since what u are saying sounds pretty good to me!

Thanks, Uncle Sky
Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
MORNINGSTAR

i added 8oz to each front and nada in the back.

i took the stock foams and turned them inside out, so they arent near as the size of the inside of the tire.

worx fantastic.