Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Droop is the bomb!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
MORNINGSTAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Droop is the bomb!

so the stock RTR springs sucked a golf ball through a garden hose.

i initially did a FULL droop, but was draggin my belly everywhere, so i did a partial droop/internally sprung shock.

i found a place that has all the springs you would ever need.

i put the smaller (slightly stiffer) spring under the piston (Droop spring) and the longer spring over the piston (inner sprung)

here is a completed shock next to the springs.

I FREGGIN LOVE IT! makes the suspension 10x better, and helps keep 4 wheels on the ground!!!

i figured it would help some to show what im talkin about.

(OHH OHH! action shot bonus!)
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Droop is the bomb!

Looks good!! Soo........... Where's this source for these springs?????
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
MORNINGSTAR

we have a Mcguckin Hardware in Boulder.

its a family owned Hardware store, but its HUGE! they have hundreds of itsy springs, and all the 3mm screw and nuts you'd ever need!!

i heard ACE is a good source as well
Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 AM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting....so that I understand Droop, the truck sits at full compression in its normal state right? On your springs, you put 2 springs in each shock, 1 long 1 short...inside one another? What is the spring length/size in comparison to the shock? The suspension travel is still the same distance the truck just sits lower? How does it handle compared just having your shock sprung from the outside? I have a pair of Losi 4" shocks I am going to put on my CR-01 (Minus canti setup) and might try droop myself. I like how trucks look when they are not all jacked up in the air. Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
MORNINGSTAR

the long spring is like (approx) 2", and the short ones is 1"

no pics of what i did, but i can walk you through it.

i removed the shocks.

unscrewed, the top, drained oil.

used a pair of pliers and a papertowel to grasp the shaft and unscrew the bottom ball end.

remove shaft, and external spring.

now with the shaft seperated from the shock body, the shaft has a piston @ the top and a black spacer under the piston.

I removed the spacer, and put the smaller spring under the piston, then put the spacer back on the shaft under the spring ( i tried it with the spring under the spacer, and didnt like it. the way i have it slightly reduces the articulation, and the shock from bottoming out)

then i put the shaft back in the shock body, and screwed on the ball end.

Then, i pulled the shaft as far through the body as it will go, centered and droped in the longer spring.

checked that all is centered, filled w/ 100 weight oil, capped the top, and PRESTO!

a semidrooped, internally sprung shock!