Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Wheely King Steering linkage

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 PM
SpikexPhil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheely King Steering linkage

For the front steering linkage, using a servo mount that mounts in the middle of the axle, what can I use? right now I have the shorter plastic linkage bar connected to the servo and then a screw drilled into the longer plastic bar from wheel to wheel, it turns great one way but not so great the other. Lookin at pics all over I see alot of people with metal bars and connectors that appear to connect at one of the wheels, seems like it works better? Is that a custom config or can I buy it?-TIA Phil
Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
MORNINGSTAR

Default RE: Wheely King Steering linkage

i think, but dont know.....

that the issue you are describing is due to your servo arm, not being strait center

take the horn off, turn it on, let the servo center (center your trim too) and put the arm back on strait up and down.

now, if yer link wont reach, you need a new one. or you wont abi-turn till you do
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM
SpikexPhil

No the trim is centered and the servo is centered, just the way I have the arm attached doesnt allow the servo to pull all the way one direction, it was a 15 minute either I didnt go to the course with my 2 brothers or I quick fixed it and went, so I quick fixed it. Now im gonna take the time to fix it right, I was just wondering if there is a better way to do it then im doing it or if one is able for purchase.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34485.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1157024  
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 PM
drum_n_man

i would say its the servo horn and the angle of your linkage. get some threaded rod and rod ends and make your own. Thats what I think.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
dacaur

the links can be bought, but are really easy to make. When I did my wheely king I just used some threaded rod, some traxxas rod ends, and some aluminum tube. make sure the rod ends are the right size to go onto the threaded rod. cut the threaded rod to length and set it set up with the rod ends some everything works right. now measure the space between the rod ends, and cut the aluminum tube that length, take off one rod end, slip the tube on, and put the rod end back on. and Viola, custom links!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
drum_n_man

when I made my steering links I used a piece of scrap wood and a couple of nails to get the length right. Take your old link and set it on the wood and put the nails through the open ends. take out the nails and the link. put the new rod ends over the nail holes and put in the nails. now measure in between. take in to account the new ends and add it to your measurement. thats just my way.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

The plastic steering linkage is crap. Scrap it. Go to your LHS and buy some aluminum tube, a tap, some rod ends, and some threaded rod. Tap out the aluminium tube about a 1/4" and thread your rod into it. Then mount your rod ends and your done. This is how any linkage you purchase would be setup. It's easy, effective, and will work properly forever. Or, just buy some linkage already made.