Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

How to build a bridge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Gex_61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to build a bridge?

I was trimming a few trees at my house, and as I was chopping the branches up to fit into the trash, I thought of how cool it would be to make a bridge out of the larger branches.

I was just wondering if anyone here on RCU has done this, or seen it done before. I'm open to any ideas. I was thinking of laying the sticks across two pieces of rope, and using thin wire to hold them into place.

Here's what I have to play with; lots of sticks. The Wheely King in the pictures is my Grandpa's... he let me borrow it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30488.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1158828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95205.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1158829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52228.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1158830  
Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
kegresse

Default RE: How to build a bridge?

Hi Gex 61,

here's a link to West Point Bridge Design site. It has few resources to
design different type of bridges.

http://bridgecontest.usma.edu/manual.htm

And you can check the R/C Tank forum, few members built bridges for tanks
combat.

Have fun building one,
Kegresse
Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
fisherkip

I just drilled a hole in each end and strung the rope through the branches. put an overhand not in the rope between branches to keep the from sliding around.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
munro300

ORIGINAL: Gex_61

I was trimming a few trees at my house, and as I was chopping the branches up to fit into the trash, I thought of how cool it would be to make a bridge out of the larger branches.

I was just wondering if anyone here on RCU has done this, or seen it done before. I'm open to any ideas. I was thinking of laying the sticks across two pieces of rope, and using thin wire to hold them into place.

Here's what I have to play with; lots of sticks. The Wheely King in the pictures is my Grandpa's... he let me borrow it.
Wow, your grandpa has a wheely king! Thats pretty cool, I wish my grandpa or even dad would have been into rc stuff.
Thats gonna be a cool lookin bridge!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Gex_61

At 2:15 in this video there is an interesting looking one.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuVRetpeU0c[/youtube]
I know I've seen videos of bridges that are more what I'm looking for, but there is no way I can remember where I saw them at.

Keep in mind I want to make this bridge as rickety as possible. A crawler should be the only RC capable of crossing it.

I'm just looking for more ideas for now, in case something cool has been done before that I don't already know about. I won't be working on this project for a little while, but I will definitely post it up when I am working on it. *still trying to figure out where in the backyard to put a crawler course*

I thought for sure someone would say that this has been discussed several times before; I am surprised that it hasn't. Keep the ideas coming.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: munro300

ORIGINAL: Gex_61

Wow, your grandpa has a wheely king! Thats pretty cool, I wish my grandpa or even dad would have been into rc stuff.
Thats gonna be a cool lookin bridge!
Yes indeed! We have wanted to get into RC crawling for a while now, but as much as I would love to build my own, a lot of the custom stuff out there is expensive. My grandpa got the wheely king back when the Axial and other kits/rtr's weren't out yet. Quite a bit of work has been done to it. I just started driving it a little, and was impressed at how it got over a couple of tricky logs.

I'm getting a Losi crawler as soon as it's available, and I think my dad is looking at getting the ARR Axial. Hopefully we can get all three to where they can keep up with each other... lol. This is going to be killer fun when we go camping in the mountains, or a quick trip down to the beach. I can’t wait.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Spdfrk

Wow! The WK in that video actually did pretty good! I was impressed.... I thought WK's were just toys....
Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
MASTERCHIEF199611

i just have two big tree limbs go to my profile.MASTERCHIEF199611.go under my gallery and look at the one called the bridge.this might give you an idea.let me know what you think.pm me if you do.