Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Cliff Climber Trail Rig Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Cliff Climber Trail Rig Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 AM
HYPERMINIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cliff Climber Trail Rig Project

Woot woot!! UPS guy dropped off my new rig a couple days ago. Looks like I'll have a fun weekend of wrenching and painting. Here's some pics for y'all to check out. I'll update this thread as I go along.

And of course the obligatory size comparison pic lol. To be honest I'm pleasantly surprised by the size of this rig. It's def a bit larger than I was expecting. It won't need much of a stretch at all to accomodate a 1/10 body.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM
HYPERMINIS

Default RE: Cliff Climber Trail Rig Project

I won't be building a dedicated crawler out of it, but rather I'll be using it as a platform for a trail rig. My plan is to stretch it a bit so that I can run this body.

I'll also be adding many of these scale accessories.

Perhaps one of the coolest upgrades I have planned for it are these wheels and tires.

http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...0c0fc06e3d3e39

I am undecided as to what motors I'll use in it yet, but I will for sure be changing the stockers out for something a little bit faster.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 AM
HYPERMINIS

Ok I got a few things done to it in the last couple hours. I got the axles shimmed, the steering servo mounted, and got the rear steering locked out. Now I can just focus on the body for the next couple days to get it ready for ESC, and radio.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Hello,

Nice little rig....I saw that Tower had these on sale for $120 at one time for RTR...ARTR at other places they were $75. Which kit did you get and where? I am still trying to find suitable axles for my Home-made rig, but these are interesting. I wonder how these axles hold up to trail riding and light crawling? Anyone know that has run one?

Hyper, can you do me a favor when you get the chance? Measure the width distance from tire to tire, but only from the insides of the tire and not center to center? I am wondering if I can use these on a Bushwhacker body and make it look scale width??

Thanks and keep us posted on progress..

Z
Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 PM
HYPERMINIS

Howdy. I bought the ARTR version, and I ordered it from Tower. They have them right now for $59, plus I had a $10 off $50 code which basically covered shipping, so I couldn't pass it up. I'll get a measurement, and post if for you shortly.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Cool thanks...I still kinda wonder about the durability of this rig...Anyone bash this thing with good results?

Z
Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
HYPERMINIS

Width distance from inside edge to inside edge is almost exactly 6 inches. Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Couple small updates here guys. Got the body painted and stickered, and I've started adding a few details to it. The grill/headlight assembly, and the roll bar are only temp mounted. I still need to do some trimming of the roll bar to shorten the height a little, and pluck the other fake light off of it cause I have some working lights that I'll be adding to it. I also still need to do some trimming and forming around the front to get a nice snug fit for the grill. The headlights, fog lights, and marker lights will also be getting working bulbs at some point. Since this is the body that I will be running on here for the trail bashing sessions I want it to be well lit so that I can run at night should I get the urge. Here's a few pics.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM
pituk

I am cosidering getting one also. What esc are you using ?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 AM
HYPERMINIS

I'm still undecided as to what will go in it permanently. For now I will be tossing a Futaba 1/10 ESC in it just to get it up and running for some trail cruising. I will only be running one 2s lipo in this truck, rather than two batteries like Duratrax sets the RTR version up for, so just about any halfway decent 1/10 ESC will be up to the task.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 AM
pituk

I have a Novak Rooster sitting around that should be able to handle the two motors but no lipos yet. Do you think one 6 cell stick pack will be strong enough to power the dual motors because the esc can handle only 6-10 cells while the motors are rated 14 volts.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 AM
ESForeman450

sounds like a cool project your doing, and i that body your going to use. i'm going to make the wheelbase longer in mine sometime soon. and heres a site for you to check out, they some guys there really working hard on motor set up for the cliff climber. and they have tryed some motors that have to much speed for cralwing, but maybe a good setup for you. check out the post is this a motor for the c.c. and they is a post also about a scale cliff climber you may want to check out too along with some others.
there the link to the main fourms page there

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/

and it asked about the axles, me a someother have had a problems with the dog bones popping out of the stub or out of the gear inside the axle housing. they is a fix or two for that.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 AM
HYPERMINIS

ORIGINAL: pituk

I have a Novak Rooster sitting around that should be able to handle the two motors but no lipos yet. Do you think one 6 cell stick pack will be strong enough to power the dual motors because the esc can handle only 6-10 cells while the motors are rated 14 volts.
I have heard of guys running it on one 6 cell stick pack, and it seems most were a bit dissapointed by its performance that way. Many of them decided to add an extra cell or 2 and were much happier after that. You can always give it a go, and if it's not quite enough for you, building a couple more cells into your pack will be a very easy and inexpensive upgrade.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM
HYPERMINIS

ORIGINAL: ESForeman450

sounds like a cool project your doing, and i that body your going to use. i'm going to make the wheelbase longer in mine sometime soon. and heres a site for you to check out, they some guys there really working hard on motor set up for the cliff climber. and they have tryed some motors that have to much speed for cralwing, but maybe a good setup for you. check out the post is this a motor for the c.c. and they is a post also about a scale cliff climber you may want to check out too along with some others.
there the link to the main fourms page there

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/

and it asked about the axles, me a someother have had a problems with the dog bones popping out of the stub or out of the gear inside the axle housing. they is a fix or two for that.
Thanks a bunch for the link. Looks like there is def some good info over there on the CC. I remember having checked that site out in the past, but had forgotten about it since. I'll be doing some reading there very soon.[8D]
Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
HYPERMINIS

Another small update here. I got the gas can painted and mounted, and the roll bar modified and mounted. Now it's on to the grill, and then wire up the lights.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Thanks for the measurement Hyper....Those axles are going to be too small for my application.

Coming together nicely I see!!

L8R,

Z
Old 04-05-2009, 11:34 PM
HYPERMINIS

No problem. It's getting closer to being ready for its first ride on the trails all the time. Hopefully by wednesday or thursday I'll be able to get it out for a pack or 2 and see how it runs.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
fisherkip

looks great, I also picked up the ARR. Got it all ready to run the tore it apart and am in the process of building a ladder chassis to do a scale rig with it.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 AM
HYPERMINIS

Thanks for the kind words. Be sure to post up some pics of your chassis. I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with.[8D]
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
NY DIRT

Did you have to buy wheel adapters to fit those air filled tires to your truck or will they bolt right on ??
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
HYPERMINIS

They will bolt right on. They use a standard 12mm hex, so will bolt onto most every crawler on the market.[8D]
Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
NY DIRT

Thanks.....Nice rig by the way....Like ur mods..!!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
HYPERMINIS

You're welcome, and thank you. It's getting there, slowly but surely.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
HYPERMINIS

Well guys, I got everything wired up, and a charged battery installed. I'm heading out into the snow right now with camera in hand to see what it's gonna run like and what it's capable of.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
drum_n_man

how much snow you have left there hyper?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Roberts_Toys
My Feedback: (3)

nice rig...

I'm thinking of getting my son one of these cliff climbers to start out with he's only 7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.