Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Cliff Climber Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 PM
jimbosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cliff Climber Question

[sm=biggrin.gif]I just picked up a new Cliff Climber and am installing new metal gear high torque servos. I have read about flipping the rear servo over to make it more stable and tighter. Problem I am running into is that the rear servo now turns in the wrong direction. What is the best way to reverse the servo? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Golden Knight

Default RE: Cliff Climber Question

The easiest way is to buy a servo reverser. Goes in line between servo and receiver or plugs into your Y lead from the receiver.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 AM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I did the same thing. It really is not as bad as you think. If you can solder then go for it.

Step 1: Open servo case

Step 2: Un-solder the servo motor. Make sure you note the position of motor on board, now turn motor 180' and re-solder back to board. (Left/top tab is now the right/bottom location)

Step 3: There is a rheostat? on the board. It is that small black box with 3 flat wires on it. This part you want to take your time with. First, snip the 2 outside tabs toward the top bend of the wire. Un-solder the 2 outside flat wires from the board. Replace those 2 flat wires with a short wire jumper long enough to reach the opposite tab on the rheostat thing. Solder the wire you attached to board on the left side over to the right side and do the same thing for the other wire. Basically you are cutting two outside wires, replacing the board side and then crossing the wires and re-soldering back to the rheostat.

Step 4: I had cut a small piece of foam and slid it under the rheostat thing for support.

I hope this does not sound to complicated, it really is not that bad if you know how to solder. Open up that servo and look inside you will see what I mean. There was a step by step with pictures in one of the forums but I can't remember where it was. PM me if you have any questions.
It makes a ton of improvement in steering.
Good luck
-Z
Old 04-24-2009, 12:42 PM
jimbosan

Got a servo reverser at my LHS and it works great!
Thanks guys for the info!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal...
Here is a video from yesterday, checking out a new location with the Cliff Climber.
-Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHTrFL5kTD0

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone post a link to the Servo reverser needed. I tried to find one when I did 4WS on my AX10 and no one had a clue what I was talking about.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

John,

Heres a link to one.....

Good luck,

Z