Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Tekin FXR/Rooster Crawler

Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 PM
userjh161

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tekin FXR/Rooster Crawler

Hey guys, got a gift card burning a hole. For an SCX10, trying to choose between the Tekin FXR and the Rooster Crawler combos. Probably going with the 55t with either. Which has the best ssssllllooooowwww speed control/drag brakes, etc?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Mr.Freeze

Default RE: Tekin FXR/Rooster Crawler

well I have both so here are the differences from what I can see.
Novac
1 easy to program
2 has lipo cutoff or you run reg stick packs ( two different cut off settings)
3 has a large heat sink
4 only 2c capable for lipos

Tekin fxr
1 easy to program
2 lipo cutoff is programmable
3 esc is very small making it easy to mount it tight chassis
4 is capable of running 3c lipos (more power)

both will do the job well but the tekin has more versatility
Old 12-24-2009, 06:50 AM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any issues with the Tekin? I see it has no heat sink, you would think it would cook.
Happy holidays Mr.Freeze.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 AM
MTboy

I've heard nothing but good things about the Tekin and plan on getting one very soon if not for christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Mr.Freeze

ORIGINAL: 56-jeephead

Do you have any issues with the Tekin? I see it has no heat sink, you would think it would cook.
Happy holidays Mr.Freeze.
And to you, no problems as of yet, but it's pretty cold out so It's hard to tell I will know better this summer.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the Novak does have a built in 5 amp bec where as the Tekin does not.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:03 PM
zman5000

the tekin has a 6v 3 amp bec, the last i heard the novaks are the same. the latest tidbit is that you can use a 4s lipo with the fxr.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:11 PM
userjh161

well, the tekin does seem a bit more advanced.  but I got a really good deal on the rooster combo, and it seems like it'll do 99% of what I want.  thanks for the input
Old 12-31-2009, 06:43 PM
userjh161

got the rooster/55t combo in the truck yesterday.  loving it so far.  huge difference from the stock elecs
Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 PM
56-jeephead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question about BEC. If the Novak has a built in BEC, what do I have to do if anything to make use of it? Right now the jumper connects to channel 3 on my RX, servos are connected to channel 1 & 4. Am I missing something?
-Z
Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 PM
userjh161

You don't have to do anything to use the BEC. It doesn't have it's own wires or anything.  The Rooster Crawler BEC is much better than the stock one on the TR.  The truck would glitch like crazy and shut down when the wheels got in a bind with the stock axial ESC.  The Novak ESC hasn't done that(yet), and hopefully won't.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 PM
calvino

I have the novak and its pretty nice but its large size makes life a pain when mounting. I have actually had BEC problems sometimes when I got my Axial really wedged in tight, funny I go to a sidewinder micro and the problems seemed to go away [&:]. The FX-R is extremely popular in crawling circles for comps.... I think the Rooster should be fine for your SCX10. Just do remember it can only handle 2S lipos max which is a bummer if you wanted more power. The Novak 55T is nice and torquey yet smooth. I have run a zillion battery packs through it and not even touched it to check the brushes....
Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 PM
userjh161

yeah, the novak mounting was definitely an issue. still no bec problems as of yet.  i'm running a 2s lipo(3200mah)  in it.  I don't know how long it will run on it, but it's plenty long enough for me to get cold and come in, with ample voltage left.  i like the 55t too, it seems great for crawling, but kinda wishing i'd went with the 45t just for a tad more speed.  i guess i can always regear.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Alpha Male

yeah, the novak mounting was definitely an issue. still no bec problems as of yet. i'm running a 2s lipo(3200mah) in it. I don't know how long it will run on it, but it's plenty long enough for me to get cold and come in, with ample voltage left. i like the 55t too, it seems great for crawling, but kinda wishing i'd went with the 45t just for a tad more speed. i guess i can always regear.
I aggree. I can't tell you how many times I wished for extra wheel speed to get up a tricky slope. I personally want to go with a 35t. Or you can always try a 3s LiPo; power up and gear down.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
userjh161

well 2s max on the rooster unfortunately rules out the 3s.  my poor 3s is sitting around as my rustler vxl is short one shock.  i believe people about integy aluminum after the pathetic incident yesterday, which led to the shock shortage