Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Good Crawler in Kit Form?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
z33guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Crawler in Kit Form?

Ilike the LosiNight Crawler alot, but half the fun I get out of R/Cis building them.Iwish it came in a needed to be assembled format.What choices do I have as far as that?I saw the Venom and Axial options, but they seem to be inferior in performance to the night crawler.Do they have the worm gear drive ? As I understand it this is what keeps the truck from rolling backwards when no throttle is applied. This seems like a crucial item on a rock crawling r/c, in absence of an actual disk brake.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Good Crawler in Kit Form?

ORIGINAL: z33guru

I like the Losi Night Crawler alot, but half the fun I get out of R/C is building them. I wish it came in a needed to be assembled format. What choices do I have as far as that? I saw the Venom and Axial options, but they seem to be inferior in performance to the night crawler. Do they have the worm gear drive ? As I understand it this is what keeps the truck from rolling backwards when no throttle is applied. This seems like a crucial item on a rock crawling r/c, in absence of an actual disk brake.
I wouldn't say that ax10 is inferior, you just need an ESC with drag brake function, since it doesn't use worm drive. Myself, I don't care for Losi anymore, I had some bad experiences with their newer vehicles. If you want a kit with worm drive, Kyosho's Rock Force is about the only thing in that category. From experience, my Kyosho's tended to be a bit more durable than my Losi's.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=KYO30984B
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/cars/in...part_num=30984
Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
z33guru

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Kyosho.I just found these two, how do they measure up to the others I've mentioned.They look really tough.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=826

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=837

Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
The Mad Modder

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Kyosho. I just found these two, how do they measure up to the others I've mentioned. They look really tough.
I'm not sure how well they crawl, as I've never driven one of them. I do know that RC4wd makes excellent quality parts, though a bit expensive. I've bought both their R2 transmission and punisher shafts(they're also used on those two truck) for one of my project trucks. The r2 is a good solid tranny that shifts very smoothly. The punisher shafts are awesome. Very thick and extremely strong. To see how they crawl, you could look for videos of them on youtube.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:29 PM
z33guru

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQW3qbe7JM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
I don't know alot of about how they should perform, so why don't you guys tell me!  I really like the scale look.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 PM
The Mad Modder

I don't know alot of about how they should perform, so why don't you guys tell me! I really like the scale look.
How serious crawling do you plan to do? For a scaler it crawls well, plus it has a two speed tranny. If you wanted a hardcore competition type crawler, though, you might be better off with the rock force.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8uLN3xVZi4[/youtube]
Old 01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
860Crawler

Not many people use the Kyosho to comp with if that's where you intend to go with it. I guess it doesn't suit the need required of most people competing as well as Axial and Losi do. You'd be foolish to think the Axial is inferior to the Losi as well, its a proven rig and does extremely well on the rocks.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM
z33guru

I doubt i'll do any competition. for me, half the fun is in the build, I like the scale aspect, and most of my wheeling is done by myself out in the woods lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM
z33guru

I didn't mean the AX10 was not a good product, just that from what i read here, the losi performed better out of the box.  Maybe all I need is one of the Venom kits.  I have to admit although it is the cheapest ive found it has some attractive looking parts on it.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't mean the AX10 was not a good product, just that from what i read here, the losi performed better out of the box. Maybe all I need is one of the Venom kits. I have to admit although it is the cheapest ive found it has some attractive looking parts on it.
I haven't ever heard of anyone on here saying that the Losi out preforms the AX10 out of the box. If you are looking for scale kits Axial has the SCX10 Honcho is a great kit.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
K_B

If you like scale looks, the Honcho is a great way to go. It's a great crawler, especially for a scaler. The RC4WD scalers are nice too. But the price is a bit of a turn-off for me.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 PM
RedNexBilly

i saw venom kits at RPP Hobby for 104.00 think i'm going to buy one myself  rnb
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 PM
rcslsafut

i got the venom for christmas . I LOVE IT!!!
i dont compete with it so i dont know how it compares to others ,but i think its a great crawler!!
i am sure the axial one is good too.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 PM
RedNexBilly

Looks like it should be a fun build,lots of parts   rnb