Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

May have fried my ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default May have fried my ESC

Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum but post often in the savage forum. I bought an Axial scorpion kit in november. I've been having trouble keeping servos in it though. When I bought the kit I ordered the recomended one at tower hobbies, a futaba s3003. I mistakenly ordered two and spun the gears off both real quick. So I ordered a futaba s3305 high torque servo. It came today and I put it all back together. I noticed that the package said Ni-Cd only. But I took it downstairs for a couple minutes anyway just to test out the new set up I had (softer springs and bent lower arms). After only a couple minutes it started to stutter a bit before it wouldn't move at all. Did the new servo cause the ESC to quit?

Thanks KID EVIL!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: May have fried my ESC

ORIGINAL: KID_EVIL!

Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum but post often in the savage forum. I bought an Axial scorpion kit in november. I've been having trouble keeping servos in it though. When I bought the kit I ordered the recomended one at tower hobbies, a futaba s3003. I mistakenly ordered two and spun the gears off both real quick. So I ordered a futaba s3305 high torque servo. It came today and I put it all back together. I noticed that the package said Ni-Cd only. But I took it downstairs for a couple minutes anyway just to test out the new set up I had (softer springs and bent lower arms). After only a couple minutes it started to stutter a bit before it wouldn't move at all. Did the new servo cause the ESC to quit?

Thanks KID EVIL!
The 3003 is definitely too weak. Did you use two 3305's? You may have burnt out the receiver from too much power draw from the servos. When using higher power servos(especially two)you'd be best using an external battery eliminator circuit(BEC), since they are made to handle higher power draw.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 PM
KID_EVIL!

No only one servo. I'm pretty stock still. Just trying to find a servo worth useing. Definatly the 3003 was not enough. I tore them both up and then made one good one out of the parts and tore that up. I'm hopeing that the 3305 will be what i'm looking for. I forget the specs exactly but it's twice the servo in torque and a bit faster as well. Do you think useing a Ni-mh instead of the Ni-cd for only a couple minutes would fry the esc? Or did the esc just fail at the wrong time? Not sure I mentioned, I'm useing the novak rooster combo 55t if that matters at all.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stripped two Traxxas 2075 servos but I had them both wired via a Hitec Y harness running an analog AM setup. There should be nothing wrong with running without a BEC on a single servo if your ESC has an onboard BEC. 

I am running a Hitec 7955TG servo in my AX10 with no external BEC since the ESC already has a small one in it. (I just bought the stock AM setup ripped off from a RTR kit).

However after being super outclassed at comps I decided to get one CC BEC (about $20 bucks) along with a new motor/ESC and now running LiPO. However I think I should upgrade to a better radio but still running the old AM TX/RX setup off a AX10 RTR kit.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 AM
KID_EVIL!

this is what it said at tower hobbies about the s3305...

This is the Futaba S3305 High Torque, Metal Gear Servo.
per Futaba this servo is approved for use with NiCd batteries ONLY!

This servo can produce high-current draw from your batteries.
If using NiMH or LiPo batteries, make sure they are capable
of delivering sufficient amps.

Hitec 7955TG - a little out of range price wise right now. I'm not going to be competeing at all (only against my brother's rig)

Soooo, From what I have read it looks like I messed up when I left my Ni-mh in instead of the ni-cd. I want to use my ni-mh batteries because they have more capacity. Am I going to have to run a differant servo with these batteries them?

I'm not real sure what you both are talking about in regards to the BEC.

*EDIT* went looking at the specs for the esc and it has a built in BEC. so I guess I'm covered there. Anyone know what I need to do beside get a new ESC. How do I know that my ni-mh have enough amps? I'm not getting into lipo at all. No need for me to.