Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

axail scorpion drive shafts

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default axail scorpion drive shafts

Does anyone know of a longer driveshaft for the axial scorpion. I'm working on a way to lower and lengthen the truck, but when I do this the drive shafts seem like they'll be to short and may pop out under pressure.

Thanks KID EVIL!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 AM
K_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: axail scorpion drive shafts

I don't know if any aftermarket ones are longer, but there is an old-school way to modify stock Axial driveshafts. It will require you to have an extra set of shafts. Basically, you lop the end of a female shaft off, so you have a hollow tube, and glue/epoxy it to a male shaft. Then you use another female shaft engage your longer male/female shaft.

There's something about all of this that just sounds... odd. Especially since all this is related to the, um, "tranny"...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's something about all of this that just sounds... odd. Especially since all this is related to the, um, "tranny"...
What are you talking about? What does the tranny have to do with lowering the truck, the length will only be about 1/2 from center each way. 1" in total. But it lowers the truck quite an amount. That's what I'm looking at most. I'm just not sure how much the driveshafts end up inside the other when the truck is extended.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
K_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind. Dumb joke. Forget the tranny comment. By epoxying the female end onto the male end, you can essentially lengthen the driveshaft about two inches or so. I can't tell you exactly since I've never used the modification, but I've seen it done and it seems to work. I could probably find a link on RCCrawler, but the site down at the moment.

EDIT:

Found it in the newbie section at RCC:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41181