Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

tamiya crawlers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
4goodbuys2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tamiya crawlers

I currently have a couple nitro cars a rc10gt and a vortex ss and I'm wanting to go electric so I think I will go the crawler / monster truck route I want something that I can crawl with but I want a little speed to also , but it doesn't have to be to fast , how are the tamiya's have any suggestions on the model of tamiya crawler I'm thinking about the landrover.
any suggestions will be appreciated
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: tamiya crawlers

I really like my Tamiya CR01. Scale-ish and a whole lot of fun. Fun to build and if you put in a 35-45 motor you can get some wheel speed out of it. It is very capable crawling/ Definitely not a comp crawler but it can find it's own line and still have fun. I have not regretted getting it!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
K_B

I'd have to vote for the SCX-10. Most shops carry Axial parts and the SCX-10 is better looking (to me) and it's more capable/versatile. The SCX-10 Honcho in particular is a good looking rig. The Tamiya bodies are more detailed, but the bodies look too small for the chassis....
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 AM
56-jeephead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to agree with K_B. It all depends on what your LHS carries and what they have for parts. Tamiyas are great trucks but I had to mail order/ebay all my parts. My LHS ordered my rig for me but he does not have any tamiya parts in stock. Axial on the other hand, has a spot on his wall along with traxxas, HPI, Losi and AE. The Axials are very capable rigs. At the time I got my CR01, Axial had not started making the Honcho. It does look cool and is scale looking with a ton of aftermarket parts. Let us know which way you go and post some pictures.
-Peace
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Alpha Male

Axial SCX-10 Honcho with a Velineon brushless system. Fast enough wheels speed for anything you want to do with a scale truck, LiPo compatible, water-proof. It makes me smile.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
4goodbuys2

I think I'm going with axial , I like the scx 10 better than the ax10 because it looks real , I'm between the dingo http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-tr/index.htmland the honcho http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-kit-v2/is their a differece between both of these besides the body and are these water proof in stock form and is the stock motor 27t going to be good enough to start me off.
thanks guys
also i'm not familiar with electric so don't laugh but does the one battery pack on board control forward ,reverse and steering.
thanks again
Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM
K_B

The battery powers everything. Electronics that com with the Dingo are NOT waterproof. The Dingo is RTR, the Honcho that you linked is a kit and you'll have to supply your own electronics. They are releasing an RTR Honcho in the near future. It may already be available.

The only other subtle difference between the two is that the Honcho has a 1" longer wheelbase. And I think the Dingo has operational lights?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM
4goodbuys2

I'm going with the dingo , It says it takes a 7.2 battery stick could I go more? I'm new to electric should I go nimh or lipo , 1s 2s 3s cells what would be best for this truck I'm looking for a longer runtime.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
K_B

The stock speed control can only handle up to 9.6V I think. I would personally go lipo; that's where batteries are going now. But for this type of vehicle, you can get by with NiMH. For runtime, you need to pay attention to the mAh number; the higher the number the more capacity. Keep in mind, you don't have to get anything super high. If you get one of the inexpensive "sport" stick packs in the 3200mah range, you'll get about an hour of runtime from it at least.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Alpha Male

I'm between the dingo http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-tr/index.html and the honcho http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-kit-v2/ is their a differece between both of these besides the body
The Dingo has the battery located at the rear of the truck while the Honcho battery is mounted right over the front axle, which helps it perform better when climbing obstacles. One thing I never liked about the Dingo body is that the molded interior only goes down a little bit for clearance sake and it looks funny. The Honcho is a better looking, better performing truck (IMO), but if you want to go with a ready to run the Dingo is your only Axial option at the moment.

I'm new to electric should I go nimh or lipo , 1s 2s 3s cells what would be best for this truck I'm looking for a longer runtime.
LiPo batteries are great but you must have the right type of charger for them. If you want to get a charger to use LiPo, I have three of these:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

You can't beat the price and they are simple to use. Plus, they plug into the wall for AC, have a built-in power supply for DC and you can charge LiPo (balancer lead included), NiMH or NiCad batteries. I have my three mounted in a break-down shotgun case that I got from Academy that I take wherever I go. they won't even let you make a careless mistake that might damage your batteries. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 PM
4goodbuys2

ok I decieded on the scx10 honcho trail ready because it has the longer wheel base and its better thought out with room for the tires to move at a steeper angle. thanks for all your help with my selection I'm going to the hobby shop tommorow to order it .
I think I'm going with the nimh battery to start me off.
Is their a way to cheaply waterproof the batter controller , 27t motor and servo , and are nimh and lipo batterys waterproof?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 AM
4goodbuys2

well the honcho kit doesn't come out until late april so I;m going to check on the price of the kit , plus all of the electronics I'm going to need , I have a jr racing radio that I use for gas it should work on electric to right. and I think I'm going to try to get waterproof electronics if I can find them cheap enough.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Alpha Male

Is their a way to cheaply waterproof the batter controller , 27t motor and servo , and are nimh and lipo batterys waterproof?
The radio receiver and electronic speed controller can go inside balloons. Plug in your wires, make sure everything functions correctly, put them in a balloon, add a bit of silicone, put a ziptie around the opening and it is water-proof. I'm talking completely submerged driving on the bottom of a pool, water-proof.

The servo is a little different. I usually open the case and put a bead of silicone around the edge and then close it back up. Then, I put it in a balloon and cut a small opening for the output gear (tiny, tiny so it fits snuggly). Just before you install the servo horn on the gear, dab the area with a pasty grease or petrolium jelly.

The motor is the trickiest part. People will tell you that it is fine to get them wet, but you still have to clean and oil them each time. Brushed motors don't like silty, muddy water. It gets inside and causes extra friction and can even block the brushes from contacting the commutator correctly. When I use a standard brushed motor I put silicone at every opening (let it dry) and grease or vaseline at the bearings.

Your JR transmitter/receiver will work fine. Just remember that if you go under water you might lose radio signal unless your antenna is sticking out.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM
860Crawler

What? Is the Honcho that's out now RTR? What do you mean the Honcho kit isn't out until late April because we had a few Honchos at out last scale comp this past Sunday. I didn't bother asking it they were a kit or RTR, but they were there.

Here a pic of one from the comp, with a Tamiya Hilux body on it (looks much better with that body)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Alpha Male

What? Is the Honcho that's out now RTR? What do you mean the Honcho kit isn't out until late April because we had a few Honchos at out last scale comp this past Sunday. I didn't bother asking it they were a kit or RTR, but they were there.
The Honcho kit has been released (November of '09, I think), but Axial is also going to release the trail ready version this spring/summer. I think it has a flat green cab.

Man, you're so lucky to have a scaler group where you live. There aren't many scale crawler guys in my area of the world....at least not organized groups. I guess it is because we have so few natural rock piles. We wind up driving in the water/mud. Got plenty of that!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:49 PM
4goodbuys2

well I went to my lhs this morning and they said the rtr's not out yet but I was was wanting the kit and he said his supplier is out of stock. does anyone know a place that has the kit honch in stock.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 AM
860Crawler

ORIGINAL: Alpha Male

The Honcho kit has been released (November of '09, I think), but Axial is also going to release the trail ready version this spring/summer. I think it has a flat green cab.

Man, you're so lucky to have a scaler group where you live. There aren't many scale crawler guys in my area of the world....at least not organized groups. I guess it is because we have so few natural rock piles. We wind up driving in the water/mud. Got plenty of that!

Our club (ECRC) is really big into scale, its almost bigger than the 2.2 class. Its so much more fun I think, seeing all the scale touches on everyones vehicles.

@4goodbuys2:

Check rpphobby.com They've got the Honcho RTR in stock right here. Click! They also have the kit for slightly less right here
Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 PM
4goodbuys2

Thanks I'm going with the honcho kit version because it has metal links , is that the only difference between the kit and rtr , and I might put a velineon vxl-3s waterproof esc and 3500 brushless motor in it and the waterproof traxxas servo.