Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Not new to rc cars but new to Crawlers . I need advices

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Not new to rc cars but new to Crawlers . I need advices

Old 04-09-2010, 06:15 AM
shannow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not new to rc cars but new to Crawlers . I need advices

Hello ,

I'm not new to rc cars I tried a bit everything (1/8-1/10 on road nitro/electrics , 1/10 electric buggies 2wd/4wd 1/8 nitro buggies ) . I keep trying to find what is the most fun as a nice hobby .

Unfortunaly after assembling them and setting them up (I like this bit the most) driving them is fun ... for a while . I get quickly bored (I found out that a track is rather repetitive ) . The speed and all is very impressive but the wow effect last 2 afternoon at the club at most and you quickly get the car out of sight or a least so far that it's just a moving box which is far ... Of course the track needs a lot of skills to have high performances but there's not that much to gain ... so it's a lot of sweat and week ends at the club to gain that 1 second a lap (at most) and frankly ALL the guys I saw after 2 years in various clubs that are into competition don't seem to have any fun at all in it ... far too serious ...

And in a little annoyed when the cars goes into a wall or other cars and smashes itself lol that why I don't bother fiddling or making DIY bits on it (My main hobby is machining parts , it's more or less my job too) but with a crawler perhaps things will last a little longer I thought ...
Also I think I'll like the fact that the car is close to you when driving at last I'll see all the suspension and all working ! Not a zippy sound and gone far far away from me ... and of course this mean no huge (and far from home) sepcial track . I live in the country side and have a big garden full of rocks and big bumps . I don't think there's a club of crawlers in France unfortunaly I'll have to check .

Anyway from the other cars I barely use I already have a futaba 4pk transmitter , two 1409 Team orion servos (14kg) , a gt2.0 Speed passion ESC and two BL motors 6.5t and 10.5t LRP X12 but I don't think they'll be suited for a crawler .

So my question is what should I get ? I don't want RTR and want something serious (I like nice stuff ) I fancy the Kyosho Rock force 2.2 but the losi crawler comp would be an alternative . What do you recommend ?
Also I’d like to stay in BL motors what should I get ? a 18.5t ? or 20.5t ?

Thank you a lot

Sorry if it is a bit unclear I'm French .
Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Not new to rc cars but new to Crawlers . I need advices

I would go with the Kyosho, personally. Everything that I've bought from them has been of good quality. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the Losi's that I've owned. Bothe the 18.5 and 20.5 motors should be fine, for serious crawling, the 20.5 should work a bit better.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
shannow

Thanks Just wondering with a 20.5t can it be silent ? Or it will make one of those very cheap wasp noises with cheap flat gear ?

By the way just to give you a laugh . My local Rc shop ,where I never buy anything for plenty of reasons ( amongst them the price ... ), has a tamiya land cruiser 40 ... well guess the price ?

I've just converted it with xe.com and it's yours for 1100$ lol (no joking 795euros the stock model)
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
shannow

I just saw a car called the Venom Creeper that seem to be incredibly cheap to get here in france . It's 1/2 price of the kyosho nearly . I that as good as the Rock force ?

thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
midntpumkin

the venom is a bit of a handfull , it seems to not work like its supose to and breaks parts easily. do a search for it you will see what people say about it and what parts break all the time. the rock force dont waste your money in my oppinoin, it gets caught in the underbelly really easily, great concept but not functional in real life. the most common are the scorpion, or the berg with the motors on the axles or the clod buster with the motors on the axles . do some reserch of the most common are and see what they use in comps , that way you get an idea of what is out there and what does well on the rocks , good luck
Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
shannow

Thanks

I saw the Ax10 to be quite common but the kit doesn't seem to offer any form of control over the rear diff . People on youtube seems to play a lot with the 3rd channel on tricky rocks ,no ?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

If there are not many people who use crawlers around you are you sure you want a competition type crawler? My advice would be to try a scale crawler, one that looks like a small version of a real truck. They are much more fun in my opinion. After you build it and paint it, you can add small details like lights, a winch and tools to make it look even more realistic. You can even add a driver. A scale crawler will not perform as well as a dedicated rock crawler, but they still do well. You can even use water-proof electronics in your truck and take it through water and mud along the trails. As you said, you can see the suspension parts working and enjoy the look of the truck without crashing it all of the time.

I have an Axial SCX10 Honcho and I really enjoy making videos while driving it.

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-kit-v2/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73709.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1414792  
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM
midntpumkin

they sell the DNA dig for it , a few buds of mine have it for theirs and love it .
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
4goodbuys2

I'm looking in to buying a scaller the scx10 honcho kit or the rc4wd trail finder kit are my picks
Old 04-09-2010, 04:23 PM
shannow

what do you call a scaller ?

Another interesting though is that I read in a review that the kyosho rock force uses very low turn motor . It was not good on the 55t motor but perfect with a 19t (so for me a 10.5t BL which I already have ).

Ps: Yes I confim it . In the manual the ax-10 has a max drive ratio of 74:1 whereas the rock force has 161:1 max ratio , it is over twice the revs the engine has to throw !
Old 04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
shannow

Me again I was wondering what is the correct top speed recommended for a crawler ? 3-4mph ? thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Oldschoolrs4

Speeds from 1 mph to 6mph are best imo . Me I like to have one crawler to be fast and one very slow . And I have fun with both in different ways. the slow crawler has so much control its way better for doing great looking crawls has veryprecise movement. but the fast crawler has wheel speed and can spin the tires and clear little rock gaps and do a kind of momentum leap up things the slow one cant quite climb . I will tell you , i have a Losi 1/18 crawler and I use my friends ax10 . and both are great . but I cant stop playing with my 2 Losi 1/24 Micro Rock Crawler .thats right I bought two of them thats how much I enjoy crawling them . Most fun I have ever had in RC and I own a HPI nitro rs4 drift car 1/10 ,Losi Highroller monster truck 1/10, Losi mini desert buggy 1/18, Losi mini rock crawler 1/18,and the micros are now my main focus . I have a scale hummer body that I can put right on the stock chassis . And there are tons of people making true scalers out of these . I have one running the 2s lipo and it is very fast and I have the other running a 1s lipo and it is nice and slow. wheel weights up front , I fullywaterproofed the electronics modified the chassiswith many more holes for shocks and links

if you have the money a Berg is the way to go, unless you want to go scale
if you want a scale rig then Axial scx10
I also like the Losi comp crawler , Axial ax10, and my losi Mini rock crawler is also very nice but to big for in the house.
but for the price of the micro its well worth the fun to have a go anywhere crawler......Good luck .

Old 04-16-2010, 07:57 PM
shannow

Thanks . Very useful reply

I have bought a Kyosho Rock Force 2.2 the berg looked nice but pricey especially for a full brushless setup . The kyosho was pretty fast to assemble although the Philips screws won't last long ... I'll have to replace them soon . I've ordered the DIG and the 2 speed worm gear .
The motor is on it's way . It will be a 8.5t Speed passion v3 so that will give me 3 mph stock 4.5mph with high gear and with the speed worm gear I'll be able to reach 6 to 9mph max (for speed rock ) all with 2s lipo .
I'll set her up to be 4ws as well (my transmitter is 4ch ).

One little question I have to ask ... when assembling the crawler I've noticed the front suspension was considerably shorter than the rear like a buggy or touring car ... for them I understand but on a crawler I don't ... is that on purpose ?
Because when I twist the suspension the front gets out of piston rod length long before the rear .... basically if I put a big box under one of the rear wheel it can be quite high until the front suspension gets as short as it can get .... and if I put the same box under the front wheel I have on of the rear wheel lift by 1inch at least ...
I'm feeling that this short front suspension setup is at the moment my crawling limit I'm thinking of getting some mp9 or mp7 rear suspension at the front to get the same travel front/rear suspension .
What do you think ?

Many thanks

Ps: I have bough some fancy topcad wheels ... they are very nice but the M2 screws on the little cap thing were waaaay too stiff ... my 1.5mm allen key started springing a lot . I broke 2 heads out of 24 ... not bad in fact it was sold far far too tight . Be careful with those if anybody buy those wheels .
Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Oldschoolrs4

some comp level crawlers have longer links in the rear . this is for more reach and to put most of the weight tight up front kind of like to reach and put the crawler ontop of a rock .
Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 PM
shannow

I see thank you . The links on the kyosho are all the same length but it is true that the chassis itself is longer toward the front so probably to give more weight there. I'll put heavy wheels at the front anyway .

Just wondering ... I'm thinking of having 4ws (front independent from rear) a rear dig and perhaps a front dig if it turns up to be useful . That makes 4ch perhaps 5ch .
My actual transmitter is a wheel type thing with 4ch (4pk futaba) so it will work but I'll have to press plenty of buttons together with prog mix etc ... pretty tricky ... but it'll do for the time being .
For a near future would an aircraft stick like transmitter be more suitable for the job ?

thank you very much
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Oldschoolrs4

aircraft radios dont have reverse ,front dig is all you need rear dig is not used often ,and 4 wheel steer is not legal in 2.2 comps ,but if your not gonna comp then its nice to have ,you can set it up on a y harness and that works ok with a 3 channel . butindependentgets a little more tricky to set up .need a 4 to 5 channel radio if you want the dig and 4 wheel steer.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 AM
shannow

What do you mean by front dig ? only the front wheels should lock sometime ? I though it was the rear ones that locked so that the rear doesn't push the car upside down when on gradient ?

In france there's no comp yet but there are little ones and here the rules allow 4ws for what they call 2.2 pro category

thank you

ps: Perhaps helicopter transmitter have revers ? I don't know I'll search for this .
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM
shannow

I think I got confused for the rear dig ... I thought rear dig = rear locked and front = powered and in fact that seem to be called front dig not rear
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aircraft Radios are used extensively in crawling they are well suited for multiple channel requirements(though May not be legal for land based use in your country).. I dont know of any issues using stick radios, in fact national level champions use stick radios for super class crawlers for their multi channels and usefulness...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
shannow

thanks
Well I've seen 3 video of a vanquish berg on vimeo and I was totaly blown away by the skill of the driver and the crawler itself but on this video the driver seem to have total control over each axle . They were not going at the same speed , and the speed he switched from front lock to rear lock made me think that he was using two sticks to move both motor forward together I think .

I'm really getting more and more fond of this discipline
Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
shannow

I might buy in a few weeks/months a stick radio for it . What to you recommend ? The car will by then probably have front and rear dig independent , only one motor , 4WS again independent and perhaps (diy) a winch (so thats a 6ch max).

The one that would be ok I guess is a 6ex from Futaba .
But I'm afraid I'll be frustrated with the menu especially as I'm used a lot to my 4pk ... but to get the 4pk's menu kind and power of settings I need something like the 8fg or the dx7 from spectrum but that may be far too much for a crawler. My 4pk can for example drive just the front driection then I click one of the side button (I've programmed) and it controls the rear direction too (together with the front ), touch another button and it can crab sideways etc etc ... I'm a bit geeky sorry ...

Again 2.4ghz is it justified ? True I'll never be away more than 30feet from it but I hate antennas ... Also it may be used for my brother helicopter and my other cars .

Are the 2.4ghz futaba receivers compatible with any futaba 2.4ghz transmitter? Because I could then have a compatibility with my buggies and touring car .

thank you in advance
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Alpha Male

Specktrum DX6i is my personal choice. It is an airplane system, but I would never buy another radio that isn't 2.4ghz. I love mine. I added a shift gate (horizontally) to the left stick and removed the centering spring so that I can use all three places for shifing my front dig.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6600
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig10990.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1421252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97801.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	1421253  
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
shannow

Indeed that one seem pretty nice and rather cheap (compared with the radio I mentioned) .
Thanks I'll have a go a it's manual to see the possibilities .
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM
shannow

That shift gate is a pretty smart idea thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Alpha Male

Indeed that one seem pretty nice and rather cheap (compared with the radio I mentioned) .
Thanks I'll have a go a it's manual to see the possibilities .
It also only uses 4 AA batteries rather than the 8 in most transmitters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.