RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Rock Crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/)
-   -   anyone seen a front mount motor scx10? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/10876712-anyone-seen-front-mount-motor-scx10.html)

nitrosportsandrunner 12-26-2011 10:07 AM

anyone seen a front mount motor scx10?

Well?
anyone seen a scx10 with the motor mounted in the front where an actual motor would be?

I have been dreaming up in my head how to do it.

Mounting the motor up front is easy, but then a driveshaft would be needed to transfer the power down to where the motor should be and then be attached to the pinion. The idea would be to keep the tranny where it is, and only move the motor.

Im pretty sure it could be done. I dont see any real advantage other than to achieve a more scale look. sure, the motor would be more over the front axle....but it would also be higher in the chassis.

I only have one crawler truck, my scx, right now. So i probly wont do it. But I am trying to find a cheap AX10/creeper/losi to run for the winter in the snow. If i can find one, then i may try this idea with my scx.

I just wanted to get the idea out there and find out if anyone has done it, cause for me its a more tempting idea if it hasnt been done before:)

The Real Dogman 12-26-2011 03:46 PM

RE: anyone seen a front mount motor scx10?

Nitro

You need to spend more time on RCC or Scale4x4rc.org what you are asking has been done a million times!! Its a scale thing!!

Oh yeah there are scale transfer cases too!!

zman5000 12-26-2011 06:15 PM

rc4wd.com has all the parts you need to do a front motor. they have it with the motor, trans, and transfer case. of course it's pricey. i think they call it the fracture V8.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-26-2011 06:22 PM

ah, my bad.

has it been done how i suggested?

I know there are scale transfer cases...seen them.

I was thinking homemade motor mount and custom driveshaft to transfer power to a mount holding the pinion in place. All using the stock tranny.

How do the trucks drive with the motor up front? does it add more torque twist? Does the weight up higher make it more tippy?

K_B 12-27-2011 04:54 PM

I can only see moving the motor if you're replacing the tranny with a transfer case and using a GRU on the motor. I don't think moving the motor makes it look any more scale since you've still got that huge transmission sitting down there. So really, all you're doing is killing your center of gravity for the sake of moving the motor. Many guys run a "divorced" transfer case setup so they have room for a full interior without having to cut it up to make room for the stock tranny.

If you were to do it, it would be easiest to run a driveshaft from the motor to the input shaft where the spur gear would normally be. You'd then need a gear reduction unit to make up for the missing spur gear/pinion.

t9dragon 12-27-2011 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ah, my bad.

has it been done how i suggested?

I know there are scale transfer cases...seen them.

I was thinking homemade motor mount and custom driveshaft to transfer power to a mount holding the pinion in place. All using the stock tranny.

How do the trucks drive with the motor up front? does it add more torque twist? Does the weight up higher make it more tippy?
Yes, there have been people who have done it. But they were done with using a gear reduction box.