RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Rock Crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/)
-   -   school me on the tamiya hilux (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/11285836-school-me-tamiya-hilux.html)

nitrosportsandrunner 11-03-2012 05:19 PM

school me on the tamiya hilux

Ive seen them, seen vids, but never expected to own one. Just to expensive for me.

Well, I found this chassis on ebay and got it for $75.

I know it has a 3 speed trans, manual locking hubs and such.

Im not sure how to run the 3 speed off a radio. Am I right in thinking I need a 3ch radio with a 3 position switch?

Also, how do the tires mount to the axle? The seller said the tires are not in great shape, so I may need to fine aftermarket ones.

I dont think ill be restoring it to original. I know a hilux body is pricey. But I may install typical electronics and a lexan body and drive it some. Or I may just sell it, not sure.

I dont know if an original hilux chassis like mine is worth alot. But I figure its worth at least what I paid.

TWERPA 11-03-2012 06:11 PM

RE: school me on the tamiya hilux

I do think that you need a 4ch tx for the gears..

nitrosportsandrunner 11-04-2012 05:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: TWERPA

I do think that you need a 4ch tx for the gears..

really?
I figured the motor controlled reverse. The only reason I can think you would need a 4th channel is if the reverse was a function of the trans...thus requring another servo.

Ive seen the radio in the vintage commocial.

zman5000 11-04-2012 11:17 AM

even the new models of that chassis use a 4 channel radio been that way from the start. get a owners manual from tamiya you'll understand

nitrosportsandrunner 11-04-2012 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: zman5000

even the new models of that chassis use a 4 channel radio been that way from the start. get a owners manual from tamiya you'll understand
cant seem to find the original manual online.

But according to the tower hobbies site info on the Highlift hilux, it does say 4ch radio but it only says 2 servos are needed. take 2 servos and 1 esc and you get 3ch. I think the 4th channel is only for acc.

I think I can just take a standard 4ch plane radio and make a plate for the left stick to match the one in the pic I posted eariler. The plate just keeps you in a gear (on the rudder stick) and lets you go forward/reverse in each gear. Then the right stick is jsut steering. Pretty sure thats how its setup.

ReaperGN 11-04-2012 11:12 PM

First off which Hilux? There is the original that was basically a Bruiser and the new one that is the same as a F-350 High Lift. There is a big difference in how they operate. The old one prefers a swash plate for the controls but the new one needs to be open to use the trans to its fullest.

The Mad Modder 11-05-2012 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: zman5000

cant seem to find the original manual online.

But according to the tower hobbies site info on the Highlift hilux, it does say 4ch radio but it only says 2 servos are needed. take 2 servos and 1 esc and you get 3ch. I think the 4th channel is only for acc.

I think I can just take a standard 4ch plane radio and make a plate for the left stick to match the one in the pic I posted eariler. The plate just keeps you in a gear (on the rudder stick) and lets you go forward/reverse in each gear. Then the right stick is jsut steering. Pretty sure thats how its setup.
I'm pretty sure only modern Tamiya 3 speeds use a 4th channel. It's for controlling the multi function unit, which adds lights, sound and engine vibration.
The manual recommends a 4 channel, but I don't know what the 4th channel is used for.

nitrosportsandrunner 11-05-2012 08:24 AM

yeh, what I got is the original toyota hilux chassis.

And based on the manual mad modder helped me find, its only requires 3ch.
I think the reason 4ch is reccomended is that most "stick" radios are 4ch.

ReaperGN 11-05-2012 04:04 PM

Then its the same as the Bruiser. Reason for the dual stick remote has nothing to do with the channels. The Tamiya 3 speed has the ability to shift on the fly. Trying to do this with a 3 position switch on a pistol grip is a royal pain in the rear. So if your a man and not a boy you will use a dual stick radio. Also its not a SCX-10 or crawler. Its a proper scale truck so you shouldn't expect it to go everywhere.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=58519

nitrosportsandrunner 11-05-2012 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

Then its the same as the Bruiser. Reason for the dual stick remote has nothing to do with the channels. The Tamiya 3 speed has the ability to shift on the fly. Trying to do this with a 3 position switch on a pistol grip is a royal pain in the rear. So if your a man and not a boy you will use a dual stick radio. Also its not a SCX-10 or crawler. Its a proper scale truck so you shouldn't expect it to go everywhere.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=58519
now, it says shift on the fly....but the panel on the left stick makes you return the throttle to nuetral in order to shift between gears...does it not?

I dont see why a 3p switch wouldnt do the same.

I know its a proper truck. The leaf spring suspension is the only thing that would keep it from doing what a SCX can tho. It just has more realistic suspension travel.

ReaperGN 11-05-2012 05:51 PM

You dont need to use the swash plate. It limits what you can do a bit but stops your buddy from trying to destroy your rather complicated transmission. As to the 3 position switch it does work. But the end points need to be perfect. And if used on a pistol grip you have to let go of the steering wheel so you may as well stop first. I tried the swash plate and threw that in the trash. I thought about a pistol grip with a 3 position switch but then remembered I wanted independent 4WS so that idea joined the swash plate. Your best bet is a dual stick controller with no swash plate and self centering sticks. Takes a bit to get used to but no other setup is better for the Tamiya 3 Speed.

nitrosportsandrunner 11-05-2012 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

You dont need to use the swash plate. It limits what you can do a bit but stops your buddy from trying to destroy your rather complicated transmission. As to the 3 position switch it does work. But the end points need to be perfect. And if used on a pistol grip you have to let go of the steering wheel so you may as well stop first. I tried the swash plate and threw that in the trash. I thought about a pistol grip with a 3 position switch but then remembered I wanted independent 4WS so that idea joined the swash plate. Your best bet is a dual stick controller with no swash plate and self centering sticks. Takes a bit to get used to but no other setup is better for the Tamiya 3 Speed.
ah, I see.

I was thinking of having the 3p switch on a TQ3 where the stock 2p switch used to be. With that setup, you wouldnt have to take your hand off the steering wheel or throttle to switch gears.
but I see what you mean by having the end points perfect. That could be a bit tricky....