RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Rock Crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/)
-   -   please i need feedback (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/11364808-please-i-need-feedback.html)

savageman01 01-10-2013 03:52 PM

please i need feedback

1 Attachment(s)
i am currently building a venom creeper safari into a low budget scaler and i need some feedback on how it looks and if anyone has any ideas about what i can do please help

nitrosportsandrunner 01-10-2013 05:25 PM

RE: please i need feedback

whats with the zip ties?
I see you have aluminum in place of the plastic chassis rails. Are the zip ties holding the alloy there?

The body looks a bit high IMO. But with the stock suspension setup you have to much flex to run it lower.
The only way to run the body lower is to mount axial(or simillar) 90mm shock on your truck. but you cant mount them on the stock upper shock location, you would have to mount them to the chassis rails in a vertical position.

I like the exhaust pipe as well, nice touch.

1st thing I changed on my safari was the tires. The stock ones sucked IMO. I ran imex swamp dawgs.

But you could also run 1.9 tires. this would limit the "crawling" ability some, but make it more scale looking as well.

I have a scx10 now, and I run 1.9s in the summer and 2.2s in the winter.

savageman01 01-10-2013 06:27 PM

i thank you for your feedback and to awnser you questionthe zip ties are a quick tie for the wires on the reciver and thats the only purpose for them the plasticframe rails were compleatly removedand the aluminum one were installedand as for the hight on the body is limited due to the fact i had to mount theesc to the top of the battery holddown for water running granted i did waterproof the esc but i like the extra insurance and as for the 1.9s i thought about running them and i got a set from a buddy mounted them up and it just looked goofy and i was not pleased with the axle ground clerance so i reverted back to the 2.2s i was thinking to convert to a thinner set of tires and do some reworking with the battery box so that the body could be dropped some but i kinda like the extra articulation as i can go over and though some crap my buddy cant with his ax10 the only down fall i see with the truck is they have the remote diff lock located on the axle and they like to jump out of the locked position when ever they want again thank you for the feedback you got me doing some thinking about what i can do to improve on the truck

nitrosportsandrunner 01-10-2013 06:58 PM

cool.
there are "scale" tread narrower 2.2 tires, and Id bet it will help alot with your scale look.

another idea is to use something on the other side of the frame rails as a block, so you cant see from one wheel well to the other. plastic, sheet metal, whatever is easiest for you to work with.
If you run with an AX10 then I agree changing the shock or running 1.9s wont be much fun. Its more fun to have a truck with simillar capabilities as those you drive with.

I once took a redcat rs10 and tried the semi scale look. took more work than your safari, as that truck came half way there.

I had my safari for over a year. I like the truck. Its the only RTR truck that looks scale...yet comes with 2.2 tires. The oversided body made it look right.

savageman01 01-10-2013 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ya i was doing some checking and rc4wd they have a tire called the two face 2.2 scale i was really interested in and for 22.95 a set it was well within my budget

and with the body issue i was thinking of doing a custom frame that would raise the frame up and give it a lifted trucklook and relocating the servo and go with a push-pull steering design like the clod had it would have to be cusom of course i went to my local macs store (best shop in the world for budget savvy) lol and picked up a stick of 1/2 by 1/8 flat steel and was going to use that for the frame it would give the truck a little more weight but i would be ableweld it instade of bolting it togeather like i did with thealuminum cuz letsfaceit who has a tig welder just laying around so wish meluck and i will repost pics after it is done ( letshope i can figure itout)

nitrosportsandrunner 01-11-2013 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a word of caution....
Ive had an axial that I did a chassis mounted servo conversion. This hides the servo between the frame rails and looks more scale.
It also sucks IMO. This kind of setup causes your steering input to push/pull (depending on direction) and the suspension.
There are extra linkage kits which help reduce this action, but on my truck when you turned to the left it slightly lifted the truck's right side and you didnt get as much wheel angle to the left as you did to the right. It was very noticable if the truck was in a tight spot and the wheel was against a rock or something.

I didnt like it and went back to axle mounted servo pretty quickly.

ive gone crazy with custom chassis before. I made a 1/5 scale ladder chassis out of 3/4 inch tube square stock. Hand bent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2THABa7G3k[/youtube]

The Real Dogman 01-11-2013 03:47 PM

Nitro,

It is totally required to install the panhard bar and 3 link setup if you are going to move the servo to the frame, or as you call it "the extra link kits". It's just physics. Too bad you chose to move the servo back to the axle instead of going the other way and install the panhard setup, the benefits are huge in additional capability. 4 links suspension do not use chassis mounted steering it uses axle mounted or a parallel link arraignment.

Cool 5th scale build btw

ReaperGN 01-11-2013 08:30 PM

You can have the servo on the axle and a pan hard setup on some rigs.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/MVC-211F.jpg

The Real Dogman 01-12-2013 06:23 AM

Yep you sure can, but when you mount the servo on the chassis you HAVE to have the panhard setup so there is no bumpsteer when suspension cycles.

BTW to the OP I like the blue blazer body, nice touch

ReaperGN 01-12-2013 01:43 PM

If the steering servo is on the chassis and the suspension collapses the steering links will become longer even with a pan hard setup. All the pan hard does is hold the axle in place. You can adjust it so that as the suspension collapses the bar moves the axle in such a way to compensate for the longer links but that kind of defeats the reason for having the pan hard in the first place.

zman5000 01-13-2013 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
on a safari creeper i think it's 4 link like the creeper so you can run a chassis mounted servo no problem. i've had one on my scale rig for a year with a traxxas 2075 servo no bump steer or binding and of course very scale. i like the proline flat irons in 1.9 and g8 compound they go anywhere and they look scale also. when i'm out wheeling with on the trails passersby comment that they have seen this rig in full scale on the street

nitro stan 01-14-2013 08:03 PM

i have scratch built 2 cms setups. 1 on a scx10 and 1 on the rear of my 6x6. both work perfect. the scx is 3 link with panhard, and the 6x6 is 4 linked without panhard.
where you run into problems has to do with how far away the chassis is from the axle. the closer the better. you'll have less angle on the steering link. the farther away the chassis is, the higher the angle on the steering link, that makes the steering link to long on compression and you'll never keep the wheels strait.

there is some trial and error setting up a panhard bar. angle has to be right and the mounts have to be in the right place

i ended up building a drop mount for the rear of my 6x6 because its to tall. the servo horn is about a inch below the frame rails. i didnt do the cms for looks, i did it because i didnt have a option, you have to flip the rear axle upside down on a 6x6 so it spins the right way, which means cutting off the posts the servo mount would go on