RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Rock Crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/)
-   -   Cheap Rock Crawler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/3066309-cheap-rock-crawler.html)

BugattiFreak 06-12-2005 11:35 AM

Cheap Rock Crawler

hey, i have a jato, but i want something to show off that wont cost a lot of money. whats the cheapest, best looking, most reliable, and has the capability for hop-ups rock crawler? can you please tell me about how much it will cost at the end too. thanks.

Ahab 06-12-2005 12:56 PM

RE: Cheap Rock Crawler

"rock crawlers" are usually heavily modified versions of other trucks.
As such there isnt really such a thing as a Stock rock crawler - so Hop-ups arent really available either.

Rock crawlers dont come cheap.
the closest to a "cheap" rock crawler would ba a Tamiya TLT - but out of the box it is a useless crawler you will have to make some quite extensive modifications before it will crawl to any sort of reasonable standard - with enough time, money and perseverence they can be some of the best crawlers around - but very little of the original TLT is left.

if you want a rock crawling capable truck that HAS got aftermarket parts available for it, look at the Tamiya TXT - but bear in mind you are looking at a few hundred $ just to build the kit - let alone put the motors, ESC, 2x servos, batterys and 3+ channel radio in it.

however, the most popular and capable crawlers are based on Tamiya Clodbuster Axel/gearbox units with some sort of aftermarket chassis to hold them together... because the motors and gearboxes are mounted on the axel it keeps the CoG very low, and it means that you dont have a complicated driveline to deal with to get massive articulation.

assuming that you dont have any other parts that you can use I dont think you will be able to build a capable crawler for less than $500 (unless you get really lucky on ebay) - and most people with truly capable crawlers seem to have almost unlimited bugets for new linkages and trying to find the "just right" set of tires - a set of wheels and tires alone will set you back nearly $100

badtodabone 06-12-2005 01:21 PM

the cheapest route to the best possible crawler is to buy a clod and then buy the extreme stick chassis form www.thecrawlerstore.com

RC RAC3R 06-15-2005 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: badtodabone

the cheapest route to the best possible crawler is to buy a clod and then buy the extreme stick chassis form www.thecrawlerstore.com
that wouldnt be cheap.. your are talkin like $400 without electronics..

i would buy a clod, then make a custom tube chassis or something..

there is always EBAY...;)

bobanation 06-15-2005 09:39 PM

I am in search for the same thing. But they are not so cheap.

I am wanting to build a maxx crawler, they do way better in comps and stuff. Cheapest way to do it though calls for a lot of your own fabrication, and ebay of course for the other parts.