RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Rock Crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/)
-   -   AX 10 or wheely king (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/6412184-ax-10-wheely-king.html)

jessemxt 09-25-2007 12:19 PM

AX 10 or wheely king

Which one do you recommend

dezfan 09-25-2007 02:57 PM

RE: AX 10 or wheely king

AX-10

Neil E 09-25-2007 03:03 PM

AX-10 Scorpion or Huslter

webdr 09-25-2007 03:41 PM

AX 10. It looks so much better, IMO

The Real Dogman 09-25-2007 05:35 PM

AX10!!! It's unananimous!!!

killer501872000 09-25-2007 07:31 PM

ax 10 and heres why you will have to get a new motor $20.00 a new esc you can get the moped for $30.00 youl need beter tires $30.00 if you look you will need new rims i just got some from tower there $7.00 a pair youl have to change gears about $10.00 and you will have to tear it down and make or buy new links i have bolth the ax10 and wk that has been moded to crawl and the ax10 may cost $30.00 more but you will put the $30.00 right back into the wk and you will have a lot nicer truck but if you like the cheap plastic look go with the wk just my 2 cents

jessemxt 09-26-2007 12:42 AM

Thanks alot I like the wheely king but I stumbled on the ax 10 and it is nice looking, will most 1/10 size bodies fit it? and what motor/esc do you recommend that is not to expensive also can you convert it to 4 wheel steering if you want to at a later date?

dezfan 09-26-2007 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: jessemxt

Thanks alot I like the wheely king but I stumbled on the ax 10 and it is nice looking, will most 1/10 size bodies fit it? and what motor/esc do you recommend that is not to expensive also can you convert it to 4 wheel steering if you want to at a later date?
Yes, just about any body will fit it.

Aninexpensive ESC/motor combo would be the MOPED VR16 anthe Integy 55t lathe motor.

Yes, you can add 4WS if you wish.

jessemxt 09-26-2007 08:55 PM

Thanks I think I know what one to get now. I have sort of an off topic question for you guys what does 55 turn lathe motor mean is it the windings on the motor and do higher turn motors have something better for rock crawling than say a 12t motor?

dezfan 09-26-2007 09:38 PM

More turns = less rpm.

A 12t motor is WAY to fast for crawling.

RCminded 09-26-2007 10:38 PM

Well I am going to go agaist the grain and say Wheely King. Keep in mind that yes modifications to get the same
performance from it but I have found that it a better vertical crawler than the AX-10. Plus I am the kind of person
Who loves to tinker and I have been able to watch my vehicle evolve in the passing months. At least every other
week it is taken apart to be modified. I disassembled it tonight to begin the largest undertaking the truck has
under one so far. My AX-10 Was bought built and played with the first night but then sat dormant for weeks until I figured out some mods for it. Recently I have been tackling rougher terrain and found that thought the AX-10 does surpass most
terrain easier than the king the AX-10 cannot climb some of the obstacles that the King can.

Over all I do agree that out of the box The AX-10 is a solid performer and does crawl better but I I prefer the
Wheely King and feel when moded it is awe inspiring.

The Real Dogman 09-27-2007 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Verticle climbs?? Awe inspiring?? How about this?? Very minor mods if that what you wanna call em more setup tweaks but this is my AXE setup right!! this is with very little time in tweaking. The wheely king can do this but as you already stated after many hours of building and rebuilding. My wheely king is still sitting on the shelf waiting for more rebuilding.. But you are entitled to your opinion, thats what was asked here..

NitroDemon18 09-27-2007 09:46 AM

The AX-10 is defanitly better for crawling. The wheely king is good too. But the AX-10 is a purpose made rock crawler.

RCminded 09-27-2007 10:45 PM

Those pics look real good and all but did you make it any further up the climbs because in both cases it looks like you are about to go over and without seeing it up any further it makes no point. Pictures are real nice for setup shots and articulating but they don't show the real performance of the truck. but like I said Though I have not gotten the Ax-10 dialed in the WK still out climbs.

Futhermore another point I forgot to mention some quality issues with the AX-10. I found that the rear upper link mount easily pops out under load, the diff lockers appear to be wearing out already the shocks came apart on me and the hexs don quite fit the wheel.
The shocks areno surprise but i hoped the lockers would have lasted longer, the link problem means a new upper link system, and the I theink the wheels are not made within tight enough tolerances. I have a pair on the WK that I gued the hexes into.

It is a good truck but if your plan to really punish it then be prepared to fix it. I had hoped for a rig that I would not have to do anything but setup and tuning to not redesign(upper link).

Whatever you do understand that both need work to make them stout competitors.

Finally kind of of topic but it really pains me to see the devote Wheely King following so quickly abandon these poor truck in favor of the easier truck. Will the Wheely King survive this sudden drop in interest?

The Real Dogman 09-27-2007 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, those pictures happen to be the same climb, just from different angles!! I drove into that postition and drove out of it, by turning hard right and feathering the throttle ever so slightly(I love the Mamba Max ESC with the Integy 65t lathe motor,, Smooth!) It was a bit tippy, dont get me wrong, but I DID drive it!! No time for posing, just crawling.. I too had some problems with the rear link so I made my own setup....(see below). I also, found the shocks cheap, but with acouple very minor mods, they work quite well until the aluminums are available.

The point really is.. you can make both trucks climb very well!! But my experience shows the wheely king takes more time and $$ to do it!! In fact you also stated how much work it takes.... I dont have that kind of time into the axe to get the performance it has.

Now the Wheely King is by far not abandoned!! I just got the ingredients to do a tuber chassis for it! So it will also soon be just as capable as the Axe!!

The Wheely King's position as a formidable crawler is well guarded, you have no fear of it losing favor. I never plan to sell the king, just keep building it....

Any truck is going to need to be fixed when you bash them. I love both trucks and my king has been modified heavily and it crawls very well, but the axe took less work!!!

Want some tips on setting up your axe???;)

might want to read [link=http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84315]this thread, it tells the story with a second party seeing it in action!![/link]

See ya on the rocks!!!!

nomobux 09-28-2007 05:34 AM

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Well, those pictures happen to be the same climb, just from different angles!! I drove into that postition and drove out of it, by turning hard right and feathering the throttle ever so slightly(I love the Mamba Max ESC with the Integy 65t lathe motor,, Smooth!) It was a bit tippy, dont get me wrong, but I DID drive it!! No time for posing, just crawling.. I too had some problems with the rear link so I made my own setup....(see below). I also, found the shocks cheap, but with acouple very minor mods, they work quite well until the aluminums are available.

The point really is.. you can make both trucks climb very well!! But my experience shows the wheely king takes more time and $$ to do it!! In fact you also stated how much work it takes.... I dont have that kind of time into the axe to get the performance it has.

Now the Wheely King is by far not abandoned!! I just got the ingredients to do a tuber chassis for it! So it will also soon be just as capable as the Axe!!

The Wheely King's position as a formidable crawler is well guarded, you have no fear of it losing favor. I never plan to sell the king, just keep building it....

Any truck is going to need to be fixed when you bash them. I love both trucks and my king has been modified heavily and it crawls very well, but the axe took less work!!!

might want to read [link=http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84315]this thread, it tells the story with a second party seeing it in action!![/link]

See ya on the rocks!!!!
Two words = trick photography. LOL

NitroDemon18 09-28-2007 05:13 PM

See ya on the rocks!!!!
Nice AX-10 and great pics.

The Real Dogman 09-28-2007 07:45 PM

Thanx Nitro,, Glad you like it!!

z-man64 09-28-2007 10:13 PM

I have the ax10 and it is very durable and performs very well for the price. I put a few mods on it, and I was sticken with my body's clod on the rocks. Even in stock form it does great. I have one and have been crawling with it none stop for 2 weeks and I just cant break it, I have drove threw sand,tumbled down hills, that I couldnt survive, and sometimes I lose it and it will fall a 20 foot free fall and hit the ground and still havent broke anything. The only proplem I have is the yokes losen wich is a easy fix with lock tight. I have biult a wheely king crawler to and it takes lots of time and many head akes to make it competative in the rc crawler world. I would say get the axial ax10 without a dought, performance, money, durability parts everything you want all in one package

jombo 09-29-2007 12:55 PM

See ya on the rocks!!!!

when i saw it at tower for sale the beginning of this year i just had to have one and now seeing you beat me to the punch i realllly need one now :D
i dont know why but eveytime i see you with a new toy i just have to have one for myself. dogman would you be able put some cen 19mm rims on there because i have a idea for some kick but tires for it

Suprachrgd82 09-29-2007 12:59 PM

AX10 is a purpose built crawler.

The Wheely King is....well...it's a goofy straight axle truck designed to appeal to the tire buring, wheel standing kid in us.

The Real Dogman 09-29-2007 01:37 PM

Yeah Jombo, with some 12mm-19mm adaptors I think you could!! Wanna PM me a preview???

bajabeetleben 10-08-2007 05:05 PM

If you'r a tinkerer at heart build that Wheely King! The rc hobby is all about the journey to the finish. You will be much more proud of taking a basic pokey truck and making it rock ( rock....rockcrawling...Pun,hehe). Listen to your concious, Build it how you want it. Prebuilt crawlers kind of defeat the purpose of custom crawling. No offense ax-10 guys. that axial truck crawls really good. But building something with parts of your choice really helps those creative juices. I hope this was helpful, And I do like the ax-10 just as much as the wheely king. Rock on

jessemxt 10-09-2007 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree to a sense I like to build stuff that is why I was looking at the ax 10 because it is in a kit. But some of your guys WK's look awsome it will be a tough choice. On a side note I picked up a vintage Kyosho outlaw ultima. It needs work but it is kinda cool. It was 20 bucks:D

nitrosportsandrunner 10-10-2007 07:16 PM

you have to ask yourself, do i want to build my own rock crawler, or buy one. the ax 10 is a kit that costs the same as the wheely king which is rtr.
the wheely king is fun out of the box, but wont climb to well. the hpi web site has a guide to upping the wheely kings climbing, and a simple motor swap(to a 55t-75t) motor will go a long way. you could be climbing in good shape for $350, truck batteries and mods included.
the ax 10's chassis is purpose built to climb, so the only hard part is deciding what electronics to put on it. it costs $230 for the chassis, and you could spend that much on electronics depending on how fancy you want to get. but when you spend that much for the chassis, how can you not go brushless and lipo with a fancy radio?