RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Rock Crawlers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/)
-   -   My Axial AX10 crawler project (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-rock-crawlers-277/9357812-my-axial-ax10-crawler-project.html)

gixxernoob 12-24-2009 07:19 PM

My Axial AX10 crawler project

1 Attachment(s)
Pick up my x'mas gift at the LHS (Hobby Hangar) today... My first crawler Axial AX10... Can't wait to play with it ... :D Hopefully there are a ton of upgrade parts for this rig..

userjh161 12-24-2009 10:08 PM

RE: My Axial AX10 crawler project

upgrades are endless for the AX-10. you could spend probably several days just looking at all the options. have fun

gixxernoob 12-25-2009 09:55 AM

Ya' just did a search and found several integy parts :D

gixxernoob 12-25-2009 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took another pic of the Crawler in action... :D

djzachtyler 12-26-2009 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: gixxernoob

word to the wise... stay away from integy parts... their aluminum is not the best and is notorious for breakage... If you are looking for aftermarket stuff get the axial aluminum links, and check ou places like CKRC or DNA... there are wayyy too many companies that make aftermarket stuff for the ax-10 to even begin listing them, but I would advise you to avoid integy... PERIOD!!!

Also if you plan on crawling in snow and water you want to take some plastic wrap and rubber bands to cover your electronics up so you do not short em out ;)

gixxernoob 12-26-2009 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: djzachtyler

word to the wise... stay away from integy parts... their aluminum is not the best and is notorious for breakage... If you are looking for aftermarket stuff get the axial aluminum links, and check ou places like CKRC or DNA... there are wayyy too many companies that make aftermarket stuff for the ax-10 to even begin listing them, but I would advise you to avoid integy... PERIOD!!!

Also if you plan on crawling in snow and water you want to take some plastic wrap and rubber bands to cover your electronics up so you do not short em out ;)

Thanx for the recommendation I will look into it... Btw does anybody know how to make it a four wheel steering? I'm not planning on competing...

gixxernoob 12-31-2009 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first "bling bling" mod... :D

RickyIS300 01-01-2010 02:54 PM

I got a bunch of parts directly from Integy, they were on sale at the time. My son put them on and we've been running our AX10s into all sorts of things, good 5 to 6 ft drops regularly and everything hold up fine.

gixxernoob 01-01-2010 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: RickyIS300

I got a bunch of parts directly from Integy, they were on sale at the time. My son put them on and we've been running our AX10s into all sorts of things, good 5 to 6 ft drops regularly and everything hold up fine.

That's good to know that integy holds up... btw I will do a combination of Integy and Axial alum parts on my AX10...

calvino 01-03-2010 11:33 AM

I have the Intergy bent links... they are "ok" but the rod ends are molded in and on one the brass bushing fell out... they came with my cars so I won't wine to much but... I wasn't super impressed... thats all. Save your $ for a DIG unit (driveshaft disconnect) there are some threads on how to make your own for cheap :D It spanks 4WS all around on steering. Looks like someone was having fun on the snow pile ;) Try mounting your lipo on top of your servo... even though it doesn't weigh a ton having all the weight lower down really *REALLY* helps [8D]

rcslsafut 01-04-2010 09:45 PM

geez ,
can you stand on your head while balancing on a basketball,while rubbing your belly?
thats what it woould take to fly a heli and run your rock crawler at the same time !!!
just kiddin (of course) cool crawler!!!!

gixxernoob 01-05-2010 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: calvino

I have the Intergy bent links... they are ''ok'' but the rod ends are molded in and on one the brass bushing fell out... they came with my cars so I won't wine to much but... I wasn't super impressed... thats all. Save your $ for a DIG unit (driveshaft disconnect) there are some threads on how to make your own for cheap :D It spanks 4WS all around on steering. Looks like someone was having fun on the snow pile ;) Try mounting your lipo on top of your servo... even though it doesn't weigh a ton having all the weight lower down really *REALLY* helps [8D]

Yes I will move my lipo.. i thought about doing a 4ws however it looks like i will go for the "dig unit" first and see what happens... :D

gixxernoob 01-05-2010 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: rcslsafut

geez ,
can you stand on your head while balancing on a basketball,while rubbing your belly?
thats what it woould take to fly a heli and run your rock crawler at the same time !!!
just kiddin (of course) cool crawler!!!!
ha! I was doing multitasking with my RC toys! j/k of course... the crawler is stationary while I flew my heli beside it! I just like taking a pic of my toys all together... btw my wife took the pic! :D

gixxernoob 01-09-2010 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my next project...

gixxernoob 01-10-2010 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mounted the DNA... ready for testing... :D

gixxernoob 01-13-2010 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Up next is the ESC... The AX10 stock ESC is bogging down on servo and dig load...

djzachtyler 01-15-2010 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: calvino

I have the Intergy bent links... they are ''ok'' but the rod ends are molded in and on one the brass bushing fell out... they came with my cars so I won't wine to much but... I wasn't super impressed... thats all. Save your $ for a DIG unit (driveshaft disconnect) there are some threads on how to make your own for cheap :D It spanks 4WS all around on steering. Looks like someone was having fun on the snow pile ;) Try mounting your lipo on top of your servo... even though it doesn't weigh a ton having all the weight lower down really *REALLY* helps [8D]
+1 oh definately a good dig unit definately spanks 4ws... comp or not a dig rules... what it does is allows you to engage, disengage and lock out the rear wheels which basically allows you to pivot or use the front tires to creep across vertical faces while keepinng the rear well planted or free wheeling what have you... I berlieve CKRC has 4WS kits too... just look around and use google you can find just about anything on there... you may also want to go to rccrawler for good input too...

I also stand firmly on the no integy stuff... you are best off with the Axial links, and delrin ball ends... trust and believe when I tell you it will pay off inn the long run ;)

Zim-uh-tosa 01-15-2010 04:50 PM

Up next is the ESC... The AX10 stock ESC is bogging down on servo and dig load...

I doubt if changing the ESC will help you with the servo and dig bogging down. The problem with the stock Axial and 95% of the stock ESC's including that Traxxas, is that the internal BEC is set really fricken low. Sometimes they are only 4.8 volts.......If you want to remedy that problem for good, you need to install an external BEC that will supply all your servos with a constant 6v(or whatever your servos needs are. Some BEC's can do a lot higher). There are many threads on here for instructions on how to install a BEC and they are dirt cheap(usually around $10). I use one from my Helicopter in my Scaler and it works just as good as one made specific for cars, ir by a company that only makes cars.....WARNING: Never set the BEC higher than your servos can handle....

If you need assistance, I will post more..

Z

rjmeyer67 01-16-2010 07:24 PM

Shower caps are an excellant alternative to plastic wrap. Enjoy! I love my Scorpion more than any other RC I have!

gixxernoob 01-17-2010 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Zim-uh-tosa

I doubt if changing the ESC will help you with the servo and dig bogging down. The problem with the stock Axial and 95% of the stock ESC's including that Traxxas, is that the internal BEC is set really fricken low. Sometimes they are only 4.8 volts.......If you want to remedy that problem for good, you need to install an external BEC that will supply all your servos with a constant 6v(or whatever your servos needs are. Some BEC's can do a lot higher). There are many threads on here for instructions on how to install a BEC and they are dirt cheap(usually around $10). I use one from my Helicopter in my Scaler and it works just as good as one made specific for cars, ir by a company that only makes cars.....WARNING: Never set the BEC higher than your servos can handle....

If you need assistance, I will post more..

Z
I forgot to add that I was already running cc 10 bec with my stock AE-1 ESC and it was bogging down however when I installed the Tekin FXR the throttle response was smooth as butter... :D

gixxernoob 01-18-2010 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Up next dual steering in front.. Btw I looked at getting a higher torque servo 200+ oz. but just want something different from the norm...

calvino 01-19-2010 09:23 PM

Looks good... the dual steering servo setup's different but... never know [8D] Yep Dig is nice. Even though i don't "officially" have DIG on my car but i have had enough times where my rear driveshaft comes loose and I make the "most' of it [8D]
Side note: You can take the stock Axial links and measure out 1/3 of the length. Bend to a 30* (inwards from the short side) and you have 30* custom links on the cheap.... I did that on the rear of my axial and (without running) they look like they will have a ton more clearance than the "interjunky" things :eek: Keep up the good work, now all we need is a vid [>:]

gixxernoob 01-31-2010 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is an action pic...