Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sail area vs. servo size

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sail area vs. servo size

Old 08-06-2003, 01:46 PM
packet05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail area vs. servo size

Good morning, I'm new to the forum and quite new to R/C sailing. My question is, is there a rule of thumb or some guide as to servo size size vs. sail area? I'm in the process of building a scale Lobster Smack with a sail area of approx. 670 Sq. inches and was wondering what kind of tourque I will need for moderate wind conditions. Thanks Jim
Old 08-06-2003, 10:34 PM
RobStagis

Um - drum servo or arm? HiTec drums are stronger than Futabas at the expense of more battery drain and a lot lesszs oney than the Futaba.(I have 3 HiTec's). 670 squares is what the one-meter and 36/600 guys use. A Futaba S125 or whatever its equivalent is now would work OK. Tower has a hugemongous servo now - 60 degrees.....but over 300 oz of torque. That'll pull in anything......
Old 08-07-2003, 06:16 PM
packet05

Thanks for the advice. I'll get the spec.'s on th S125 and do some comparision shopping.
Jim