Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Choosing a Sailboat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Choosing a Sailboat

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Kamilkaze13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a Sailboat

Hey guys, i want to get into sailboats and i was looking for a model. I wanted something at least 15 inches and in a 60 dollars budget. Something like the Dumas Ace Sloop kit. Don't mind if its not RTR. Any suggestion? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:07 AM
BoatCollector

Hi there, are you interested in buying a new or used boat? Would you be interested in a imported boat from USA or any other countries?. I have my second hand yacht sourced and imported by this company, http://www.dazmac.com.authey took care of all the research and paper works for you. Give them a ring, they'd help you out with your questions
Old 12-28-2014, 02:38 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Since you've already had a go at scratch building, why not look up "footy plans" on google. This is a class of sailboat intended to be no more than 12" long. Most are RC, but given the right type of lake, should convert to free sailing without much trouble. You should be able to keep within your budget, as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Kamilkaze13

Thanks. Will look up to that.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Micromodder

I'm a little over half way finished building an Ace Sloop.My hull is built, sealed and painted now, I have all of the electronics mounting points installed.I'm starting to build the mast and run my rigging.

I can't comment on how well my boat will sail, but its been alot of fun to build.Converting it to rc is fairly easy since it was already a free sail model.I even added an outboard motor on mine.

I broke a few pieces of balsa, I recomend saving a little additional money before you start building so you can order parts if you need it.Besides from needing extra balsa I ended up needing more mohogany for my hatch (which I was also able to plank the deck with).I just ordered the Midwest value packs of balsa and Mohogany, it was around $30 for both.

You'll need some clamps, clothes line pins are the cheapest and handiest.Anything stronger will break/deform parts, I even used masking tape as a strap to avoid big clamps.

I used Lacquer to seal all of the wood.But you could paint the entire boat to keep the cost down (you'll need to seal the interior somehow also)

Its a very fun and educational kit, all of the materials you buy you'll be able to use on future builds, just plan on it costing a little more then expected.I'm a few months into my build already so don't feel bad if you need to take your time building it so you can save up for the things you need.Tons of sanding is involved so youll love it lol.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Kamilkaze13

Thanks for the tips. The Ace Sloop looks like a nice model. Post some pics if you can. Here in Canada is a hard to find model. I have been looking for this kit for some time but its always out of stock.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Micromodder

This is my build thread if you want to see where I'm at.If you have any questions you can ask me here if your not a member on this website.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2244928

Also, this is a better thread to read.Its practically a tutorial

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1639668

Last edited by Micromodder; 12-29-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Kamilkaze13

Nice. Love the outboard motor.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Micromodder

Thank you.But I've got to admit that after buying the Dumas kit, spare wood, paints, etc I'm up to the price of a nice rtr.

I also have a Joysway Caribbean, a Canadian company named Litehawk offers a rebrand of it called the Whisper.They sail great in pools, but are a bit small for lakes.Its like having a trainer boat to get used to sailing.The size is kind of nice, its 1:48 scale so you can paint model railroad figures and acessories to epoxy onto the deck (I did).Throughout the year I was lucky enough to find a wooden lighthouse model kit that I plan to build onto its stand.Alot can be done with it if you think outside of the box.

But the Joysway Explorer has been on sale all over the place, I just ordered one myself.It should be a perfect upgrade and additon to my fleet.They are on Amazon.can for not much more then the Whisper would cost.You might want to do as many chores as you can this winter and aim for the full sized boat if your more interested in sailing then building.

I'm not biased towards any of these boats.Im just trying to get away from video games personally so I buy vehicles around that price.Call of Duty is $60 here, but these days I have to buy the download content to get the full game and it ends up being $120.I just wanted to mention that, the Explorer might seem like a lot of money but its the price of some video games.Its probably the most bang for the buck when it comes to being sea worthy.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Kamilkaze13

Will check these out. Video games these days are so damn expensive. This is why i dont play on my xbox anymore. If i go for any of them it would be the explorer probably.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 AM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hello all,
Just happen to be surfing thru seems to be an interesting hobby . If I ever get bored with the planes I just may have to take a closer look.
Thanks in advance
George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1