Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

1m sailboat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

1m sailboat

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Nitro boater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1m sailboat

Guys what is the best sailboat available on the market to race with???????
Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Depends who you want to race, what class they are racing, how deep your wallet is, and whether you want to practice enough to win. There is a whole crowd of sailboats that happen to be 1 metre long, and don't really cost a lot up front. Non will catch a properly set up IOM unless they are in conditions that are perfect for them on the day, but the IOM will cost more. Move the decimal one place right.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Nitro boater

Thx for your reply bud,well im from south Africa and use to do rc gas racing boats but would like to get involve with the sailing side of things,im very new to this that is why I asked for some help in this regards .I would like to know more about set up off boats and would appreciate your help,and would like to go deeper into boat setup
Old 02-08-2015, 03:56 PM
RodCarr

Originally Posted by Nitro boater
Thx for your reply bud,well im from south Africa and use to do rc gas racing boats but would like to get involve with the sailing side of things,im very new to this that is why I asked for some help in this regards .I would like to know more about set up off boats and would appreciate your help,and would like to go deeper into boat setup
Given the tremendous amount of information available on this and other R/C sailboat forums, it is suggested that folks with newly awakened interest spend some time reviewing the existing threads before asking general questions that have been answered in those threads several if not innumerable times. Having done your homework, then you will be in a position to make a request for specific information that you have not been able to find. To expect knowledgeable skippers to spend their hard won spare time in responding to such general requests is somewhat presumptuous, and likely won't generate the information you seek.

Welcome aboard what is a both broad and deep segment of the hobby. There is challenge enough here to satisfy virtually any specific kind of interest, and plenty of people to help when specifics are required.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Nitro boater

I don't appreciate your coment RODCARR
Old 02-09-2015, 03:50 AM
mfr02

It is a really good idea to trawl through the existing threads though to avoid duplicating answers. If you google for model sailboats, you will find a good many links to traders who sell them. If you do a search for any that take your fancy, you will find lots of links to threads similar to this where the exact points that you are interested in are exhaustively discussed, sometimes in general terms, sometimes with regard to a particular model. One thing that I have noted over the years is that if I have a question, very often, if I pick my words carefully when typing into the search bar, somebody else has had the same problem, and an answer has been found.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Nitro
Not sure what brands/makes of RC Yachts you have in your location. I am sure most of those found here in the U.S. could be shipped but at significant shipping expense.
Looking at brands that are likely to be sold globally, we can discuss a few of them to get you started. I would suggest we broaden the dialog to include boats of 1M as well as others a bit shorter say 914mm or in that range. This will give you a wider selection.
Here are a few boats to consider: Kyosho Seawind (1M), DF 65 (655mm), Thunder Tiger Victoria, Nirvana, CR914.
There are IOM's and International Marbleheads but they get pricey!

There are others but many boats have come and gone - out of production - so for this conversation I have listed boats currently being manufactured. There are kit boats that are worth while - here's a link to a list of those:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767639
Victor Models, Tippecanoe and others are listed there. Sadly there are not as many as there used to be.

There are a number of boats sold by Hobbyking.com and Joysway which are considered to be more starter boats. Which is ok but they typically require some upgrades to make them fully seaworthy. That is another discussion we can explore. RCGroups.com sailboat section is a lot more active than this one, and has a lot more information available. Worth checking it out.
Take a look at these and come back with your questions. If I was forced to pick one for you, I'd say the Seawind is good choice and it is a 1meter boat. There is lots of information on all of these boats, but it will take a little time to sort through. The boats listed are all decent sailing boats. The IOM and Marbleheads are more advanced boats, more often are scratch builds from plans. Most folks work their way up to these classes.

Here are some links to discussions on the boats mentioned above:
Seawind http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2326048
DF65 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...38428&page=204
Thunder Tiger Victoria http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ictoria&page=3
Nirvana http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...94969&page=714
CR914 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=cr914&page=4
IOM http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155891
Marbleheads http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...138985&page=27

Boomer

photos
Seawind
Victoria
CR914
DF65
Nirvana ll
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch cover.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2072040   Click image for larger version

Name:	00J0J_9Z9Y3uwq22k_600x450.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	2072041   Click image for larger version

Name:	cr914..jpg
Views:	74
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	2072042   Click image for larger version

Name:	B-JS-8803_j.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2072043   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0190 (2).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	2072044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seawind press release.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2072045  
Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Nitro
Just an FYI. Rod Carr is one of the more respected guys in the RC sailing industry. He is a custom sail maker and contributor to this great past time. His remarks were intended to be helpful and no offense should be taken. He was being candid not rude. One of the good guys. Really!
He is a great resource to new comers as well as some of us older sailors as well.
Boomer
Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Nitro boater

I realy want to thank you for your reply "boomer1"..Now you ate the tipe of guy that realy want to get the great sport growing........Thx I will take some time reading thru all the sites you provide. Thx again my bud!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:42 AM
mfr02

Just a late thought - a great many ARTR boats advertise themselves as "1.8M". This is not the hull length which modelers use to refer to boat size, but very often the largest dimension, in most of these cases, the overall height, bottom of fin to top of mast.