Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Mini 40 scratch build Help??

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Mini 40 scratch build Help??

Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 AM
SkyField

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini 40 scratch build Help??

Hey guys, I'm considering building the Nightmare MKVIII. the plans are available for 5 bucks so i purchased them haha.

I am a newbie when it comes RC boat building but have fiber glassed a fair bit. and im looking on some guidance on how people usually make the things.
There are 3 ways im thinking on approaching this.

1. planking the hulls and then glassing them (pretty straight forward apart from i would have to plank the top and bottom and glue them because of hull design. i think)

2. cut out each 12 sections of the hulls from foam and then glue them together. Then glass over them. (leaving the foam core on the inside)

3. i have never see this done before, however i thought of it and though it was a great idea. cut out the 12 hull sections of foam in a female configuration (with a hole cut in the shape of the hull in each piece of foam) then glue them together. then cut it in half (so there is a top and bottom off the hull). Kinda like a top and bottom mold made from foam.Then using it like a normal mold with glass. I know the chances of using the mold again are pretty low because its foam. however its the lightest way of making the hull i can think of that's easy (weight is a priority because of hydrofoils).

Can someone please give their views on weather or not option 3 is a good idea, as i thought of it and it seemed good.

-cheers
Old 12-22-2015, 02:39 AM
GLX

Hi, only coming back to this forum but if you do some search in this section you'll find build log with pictures.
Planking can be good but you want to know what you're doing there as the forms of multis are quite from monohulls
that's why foam plugs can be good and often used.

Personally I built one using foam. 2 half where I emptied the inside (leaving approx 1cm depth of foam) on most of the length leaving some section untouched to help on the rigidity of the hull. Then using epoxy resign and f/g 50g around it to solidify the hull, with sanding, filling, more sanding and painting. this gives a solid, light and quick way to build a hull.

but you can go down the road of using a foam plug, with f/g to make a plug from which you pull a f/g hull from... lighter, but longer to make and more costly.

Not much but hope it helped.
G
Old 03-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Al Stein

If you haven't done it before, you'll be amazed how easy it actually is to build an acurate hull plank over frames (or over shadows).

I have built a hull using the bread and butter method -- gluing up sections in foam sanding and shaping from there and my experience was that it was a good bit harder to get it all fair and symmetrical. (I built a few using plank over frame.) bread and buter is a great way to go when designing from scratch because you only build one half, but when it comes to making two halves match and align right, I just found the additive sculpture way (i.e. building a planked hull) more reliable and straight-forward than the subtractive way (sanding and shaping the rough outlines down to the desired shape.)

That's how it went for me -- but I'm interested in whether others had the same experience too.