Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Joysway Orion

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Joysway Orion

Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 AM
peter_gibbons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joysway Orion

Hi there,

After nearly 30 years (and recovery from 80's sail winch servo prices), and buying a house on a lake, I bought an Orion. I have used it 3 times and on the fourth, the radio power switch quit working. On closer inspection, there is rust around the screws. So, the switch is shot. Now, onto the questions. Has anyone modified the 'cheap' stick on hull covers? Do people just go out and replace the factory (not a fan of) radio? If I make some wood hatches that screw down with decent gaskets, will that be better? Am I wasting my time? How do you know if an RC sailboat is in trim? Am I putting to much thought into this?

I have to say, after mastering airplanes, helicopters, submarines, rockets, buggys, cars, etc, this is the most fun I have had in a long time...

Thanks guys....
Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The switch "might" respond to a shot of switch cleaner followed by water repellent lube. If not, it's probably a bog-standard mini slide switch, readily available. A friend has a Dragon (very similar, a bit longer) that he went to town on waterproofing. He used a magnetic switching device so that switching on and off did not require any internal access. BTW we sail in salty water, any corrosion possibilities involving electric bits are multiplied several times over.
Any self adhesive cover should be regarded as disposable - the glue only lasts so many re-applications and becomes a leak hazard. Have a look around, see what the racing lads use on their boats. Screw (or clip) down hatches will probably be good, but watch the weight, this boat does get a lot of its performance from not weighing much.
If it is the same radio that is used in the Dragon, there really isn't a lot wrong with it. The only problems that I found were the rather weak sticks and the smooth case of the transmitter, but Joysway have thoughtfully created a little hole in one corner to take a wrist strap or lanyard.
Trim? When it looks right, it probably is.
Are you wasting your time? In my opinion, no. In the opinion of serious people who think that any form of pleasure is a bad thing, yes. I think you last paragraph answers your question there.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 AM
AEK42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use white electrical tape around my Victoria hatch, each time I sail. It is cheap and effective and looks OK. Hatch seal is very important.

For boat trim, it is important to sail straight, without using the rudder (brake) constantly. This is done with mast rake. If the boat turns into the wind a lot (high wind days), rake mast forward. On low wind days, when boat turns away from the wind, rake mast aft.