Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Advice on Sail winches and a new project

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Advice on Sail winches and a new project

Old 12-26-2015, 03:21 PM
H713

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Sail winches and a new project

So I am a newbie who has decided to build a 50" R/C sailboat. While I am new to the R/C sailing hobby, I'm a reasonably experience sailor of full sized boats, mostly dinghies but also some keelboats. So I understand sailboats. Here's the plan: I'm going to experiment with building an R/C sailboat out of 1/8" plywood. 50". Now, here's my question: This is big, and it's going to have a lot of sail area. I do NOT want to spend $250 on an RMG sailwinch. I'm wondering if this is 1) powerful enough, and 2) a good winch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-RCD-In...MAAOSwiLdV~72s

Alternatively, would an arm servo work better for something this big?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hitec-HS...oAAOSwq7JT86Io

Thanks
Old 12-27-2015, 11:39 AM
mfr02

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While not all 50" sailboats are Marbleheads, all Marbleheads are 50". They carry a max of 800 sq in of sail, so anything that is good for a Marblehead is likely to be OK for yours. Since IOMs carry 820 sq in, the same goes there as well. Using a non-programmable winch just means taking a bit of care with the running rigging geometry ensuring that the travel offered by the winch matches the travel required by the sail.
Looking at the numbers on your choices, I would go for the winch rather than the arm every time, if only because the winch has a much more modest current requirement, meaning that it will give longer run times. If looking for a big model sailboat, look up "A" class, R6M and 10R yachts.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:54 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by H713 View Post
So I am a newbie who has decided to build a 50" R/C sailboat. While I am new to the R/C sailing hobby, I'm a reasonably experience sailor of full sized boats, mostly dinghies but also some keelboats. So I understand sailboats. Here's the plan: I'm going to experiment with building an R/C sailboat out of 1/8" plywood. 50". Now, here's my question: This is big, and it's going to have a lot of sail area. I do NOT want to spend $250 on an RMG sailwinch. I'm wondering if this is 1) powerful enough, and 2) a good winch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-RCD-In...MAAOSwiLdV~72s

Alternatively, would an arm servo work better for something this big?

Thanks
I had the same question last year with a hull a bit smaller. I agree with the above, using a drum servo over the arm servo. You will get better strength performance not speed, from a drum servo. This site talks more in depth about that.

http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/rc-s...boat-controls/

In terms of strength, I would go for the stronger of the two option. Just make sure you have a good battery to provide the amperage draw.

I'm using a Hitec sail servo and it has worked very well.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 AM
ron ward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also agree,..... drum over arm. it also gives a bit more flexibility to servo location and sail area.