Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying this hull

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Need help identifying this hull

Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Mainesailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying this hull

I recently acquired a bare sailboat hull and am having trouble identifying it. It is 74" on deck and 15" beam. Above the waterline it looks like a J boat but the keel and rudder are not. I was told that it was from a Florida design from the 1960s but it really doesn't fit any of the class rules or designs that I can find. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:22 AM
Michaelj2k

Can you post some photograph's?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Mainesailor

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2149822   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2149823  
Old 02-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Mainesailor

These are not great photos but maybe they'll help. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2016, 04:54 AM
Michaelj2k

Most likely it is the International A Class Vanja, designed by George Baron and published in a 1936 issue of Popular Mechanics. The USVMYG may have more information. http://pages.swcp.com/usvmyg/HistoricA/Aclassintro.htm

Is it a fiberglass hull?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Angel727
My Feedback: (5)

You got a great sailboat project. I had one and they are so sweet to sail and race. I suggest you go to AMYA website where you can find more info.
Congrats!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Mainesailor

Thanks so much for the information! It does in fact look like and meet the specs of the Vanja. I am currently trying to track down information on correct rig and ballast specs for a fiberglass hull or class rules so the boat can be right. I have a few leads and hope something will pan out. Looking forward to getting going on this boat.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:24 AM
mfr02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry too much about absolute accuracy unless competition was involved. I recall that some 20-odd years ago there was a fairly radical rule change in the A class regarding the fin/ballast arrangements, away from the good looking ones like yours to an "advanced" concept that allowed for a prognathous ballast bulb (it could stick out in front of the leading edge of the more spade-like fin). The racing lads don't go in for changes that make new stuff slower, so previous designs would be at a disadvantage. For it to be "correct", you would need to see the earlier rules from when it was a "current" boat.
Just looking at the size of the rudder, I have a gut feeling that it was originally a vane sailer. The small rudder was more a course correction device to keep it running straight rather than something to give good maneuvering.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Michaelj2k

Vanja was designed to the rule created in 1922 in the UK as a scale to design boats to the 5.5 metre class. The rule has been updated through the years; in 1995, there was a big change to allow the fin and bulb to be used. Current A class boats feature low wetted surface areas while retaining the basic measurements required, making for a very fast boat. The UK is a hotbed of activity with a number of radio A and Vane A races held throughout the country. Unfortunately, there is very little A class interest in the USA,that being the Mill Pond MYC in Port Washington, NY.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Mainesailor

Well thanks again for all the info! I'll probably finish the boat to try to make it sail well and retain its beautiful classic lines rather than try to steadfastly stick to class rules. As it will be a radio boat does anyone have any suggestions for a good sail control solution for almost 2000 sq.in. of sail. I'm thinking drum winch as opposed to servo arm.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Michaelj2k

https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/products/380ES.html available through http://www.rcyachts.com/
Old 03-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Al Stein

According to the Pop Mechanics article by her designer, Vanja won first place in the US National Championship in 1933 and went on to race in internationall championships later that year. Gorgeous boat!

Here are links to the design and building articles... I think you'll enjoy them since you're interested in the original appearance and setup....

Part 1: Building the hull: https://books.google.com/books?id=8twDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA440
Part 2: Keel, Deck, Fittings, Sails, and Rigging: https://books.google.com/books?id=wt8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA603
Old 03-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Mainesailor

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful!