Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Complete newbe

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Complete newbe

Old 03-23-2020, 05:28 AM
dannyst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete newbe

Hi all,

I doing my first build of a racing sparrow model (075M).

I am looking for recommendations on radio receiver and transmitter, what servos, what rudder arm, brass tubing, etc..
Because of the current corona situation, i need to order everything online.

Recommendations, links, or pointing me to the right (up to date) thread would be great.
Thanks in advance
D.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 AM
mfr02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people prefer a stick transmitter for controlling a sailboat. Somehow seems more natural when controlling something that would have a tiller.
After trying several, I've settled on the HK-T4A as a simple, low cost, reliable outfit. Spare receivers sensibly priced (important when fitting a fleet), and continuous compatibility. While you only need 2 channels, 4 is the present day base line.
If you are going to use an arm servo for the sails, you will need a high torque one, and a very strong mount. My preference is one of the new-ish generation of small servo sized sailwinches. Simpler installation and the resultant pull is only in one direction
Any "standard" servo will work the rudder. Living in the UK, my go-to for a servo arm is to butcher one of the pins from a 13A mains plug. Nice, chunky brass and somebody else has done the difficult machining. And if its a dead plug, free. Not having any idea whereabouts you might be, I can't suggest local sources for you.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:44 AM
dannyst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in israel, not a lot of rc boats here or local hobby shops.
looks like i. need to order online from ali express or similar.