Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Painting Fiberglass

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Painting Fiberglass

Old 12-13-2003, 01:41 PM
ec12-1582

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Fiberglass

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of a major refit of my EC12. After stripping down the terrible krylon paint to the gelcoat, she needs a new paint job. Any thoughts on painting fiberglass?. I've considered "Tempo Aircraft Epoxy", several brands of lacquer, or an automotive enamal with clear coat. Perhaps some of our aircraft builders might have a suggestion for a low weight, highly durable and scratch resistant finish than can take the abuse of water immersion. (I know K&B Epoxy spray is no longer available, thanks to the EPA)

Any suggestions or personal ecperience greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-13-2003, 04:16 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: Painting Fiberglass

I have no idea how they would hold up on a boat, but I've been using the House of Kolor automotive urethanes on fiberglass airplane parts and they're fantastic. The durability and water resistance is probably more a function of the clearcoat used, so you might contact HOK and see what they can tell you. The clear that I use is from TipTop Technologies and is available from Coast Airbrush (which also where I get HOK paints). Matter of fact, Coast does custom paint and I saw pics of some jet ski's in their catalog, they'll probably know what clear you'll need.

Ben
Old 12-13-2003, 11:40 PM
LtDoc

'1582',
I've used 'Krylon' and Krylon's paint for plastics with no problems,also
enamel. Guess that depends a lot on finding the color you want. It's
mainly a problem in preparing the surface for painting, and of course
testing the paint before applying it, some gels and some paints just
don't 'like' each other. (There ain't NOTHING like finding that out half
way through a paint job!)
- LtDoc

PS - My primary reason for using 'Krylon' is that it's what's available
locally. Nothing like living in the back-end of nowhere...
Old 12-22-2003, 09:20 AM
RobStagis

Harumph - I'm getting cranky since I used Krylon DayGlo on my EC12 and right in the middle of the hull (old Ozmun) with no patches or putty and after appropriate sanding, cleaning and priming, the danged Krylon lifted in a HUGE bubble twice. I've always liked Krylon, but I'm pretty cranky right now...........
Old 12-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Bill McW

Very frustrating indeed. Generally, when you use the same brand of paint you don't get that kind of behavior.
Maybe it was the Day Glow make-up?
Personally, I'm through with painting. I get the best finish I can on white ABS or fiberglass and just wax it.
Dings, abrasions and such can then be easily polished out.

Bill
(who has seen a nice paint job adopt the texture of a tobacco leaf right before my eyes)[&o]
Old 12-23-2003, 08:46 AM
RobStagis

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....buffing virgin glass..... *sigh*. Done it - I like it. Too late.

Actually, when I went downstairs to check my bubblicious paint job, it turns out that I'm using Rustoleum - not Krylon. Hmmmmm. I'm using Rustoleum primer and DayGlo topcoat and will use clear gloss to make her shiny. The DayGlo IS a problem - it's way runny and ultralight coats are needed else you end up (like me) sanding out runs in the paint. I personally think I'm going to have a way-cool paint job but it's going to be painful getting there.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Bill McW

The last boat I painted was my tug. It is made from vacuum-injected styrene and was very plain looking in the white.
The tug's manufacturer has possibly the best model painting tips I've ever seen. I employed these tips when I painted my tug and got very professional-looking results. It was my best paint job ever.
Check out < http://www.vac-u-boat.com >.
You'll see "Painting Tips" on the left margin of the page.

Bill