Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

What model is good?

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

What model is good?

Old 12-16-2003, 10:01 AM
freebelle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What model is good?

I am retired RCer and want to get into RC sailing. I have looked on the internet and would like to have someone with experience give me thier opinions concerning a good model to start out with (I have sailed full size). I think I would like something in the one meter size, and I have a surface frequency radio. I kind of like the Victor Model Products Cup Series or their Soling 1M. Do any of these make a good reliable boat for non-competive sailing? I also see a lot of Pro Boat Sunrise models ( 24" ) for sale on E-Bay (they are cheap, but are they any good?). In the forums I have read some horror stories about starting out, and I do not want to add my woes to the list. I just do not want to go thru the entire learning process and a lot of models on the way to finding something that is reasonable. Appreciate any info and words of wisdom any of you have.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Idaho83815

Default RE: What model is good?

Look into the Kyosho Seawind. there is a web site for them with alot of info at seawindrc dot com. I just got one after long research. I really like its scale looks and the performance. Tower hobbies has them with radio etc for mid 400 range. The Kyosho fairwind looks nice too.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:53 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

If you have some experience assembling plastics I heartily recommend the Victor Soling 1M. If you are serious about racing log onto www.amya.org to fnd out more about the Soling. I've built two and am seriously considering another. At this time, however, there is some sort of uproar in the Soling class about one design specs. I do not actively race but all my yachts have been one design and class approved. I am currently sailing a Fairwind 900 which is akin to the Seawind but somewhat less costly to get started in RC Sailing. A lot of the classes race boats with deep draft as the Seawind has. Consider your launching are and if a 16 or 17 inch draft is too much. Solings and Fairwinds are shallower draft.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:52 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Hi guys, new to this particular forum!!!

Many many years ago, I used to sail full sized boats. Loved it. Recently, I have been curious about combining RC and sailing. So, an RC sail boat!! (And since i now live on the river edge.. a 2 minute walk to some sailing grounds..)

I originally bought a Victor 24" Blackhawk to see if I liked it. (but am not too impressed with the qality of teh kit..) Well, the weather is a little cold to sail (read: ICE!!) so I'll have to wait till the spring..

But I had inquired to the locals on what is best for my area....

First off, find a club, and see what classes tehy sail,a dn match them. Especially if you plan to race.
amya.org is probably one of teh better places to start, for classes. The 1m soling seems to be a standard where ever you go. Which is what I should have gotten originally.

But, like most places, weeds get in the way. there is a hull class being introduced by some fellows out of Kinston Ontario, which has a unique keel design to not 'hang up' on weeds.. the Mini-12. It uses the same sails & such as teh Victor 1m soling...

and some other links I was sent..

http://c_r_y_a.tripod.com/
http://mini-12.com/pages/mini_12.htm
http://www.iomclass.org/
Old 12-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Bill McW

I have a Kyosho Seawind and it is my favorite of the four RC boats I own.
It is a new One Design class and just getting started. If you wish to race immediately you probably should consider another boat.
The Seawind is elegant, nimble, responsive and fast on the water.
It is also a showpiece while on display in your home.
It is easily assembled, but if you spend the time it can look like a work of art.
Check it out on the net and visit the Seawind Resource Center web page. There is an incredible amount of information there as well as an active discussion group of enthusiastic owners.

Bill
Seawind
RC Laser
Nirvana
Vac-U-Tug Rescue Boat.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Red Baron Mike
My Feedback: (285)

The Kyosho Fairwind is a great boat...easy to sail, fast and available used.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:08 AM
Bill McW

I think any of the Kyosho kit boats are great.
They are easy to assemble and are of exceptional quality.
All of them are fast and sail like a real boat.
If you go to Tower Hobbies and get a "Combo Kit" you also get quality radios and servos.
The Fairwind has a masthead rig (if I remember correctly) and also has a high freeboard. It does very well in moderate chop.
The Seawind is a scale 1990's Americas' Cup Racer. It has a lower freeboard and likes smoother water, but it is faster.
All Kyosho sailboats are beautiful on the water as well as display.
I think any boat with a waterline of over 35" sails better than the smaller ones. Particularly in higher wind and chop.

Bill
Old 12-22-2003, 09:24 AM
RobStagis

My standard answer - kit-assembled boats make it easy to get into this. The Laser is the easiest, but a tad pricey. If you know how to sail already, it's WAY fun bur definitely a high-performance boat. Kyosho's kits are complete and sail well. The new/latest version of the Thunder Tiger Victoria is an improvement on an already-very-popular class. Victor's boats are a little tougher to assemble, but are all good sailers. See if there are any local sailing clubs and see what they sail.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Bill McW

I have a Laser and I must admit that is more demanding than any other RC sailboat I own. My other two sailboats are sloop rigs and track better on tack. But the more I sail the Laser the better I get. It (Laser) seems to be at its best with winds ranging from 15 to 30mph-well above what my sloops can handle. I've even been able to pop it up on plane for brief periods.
The major reason I purchased the Laser was to allow me to sail in the 15mph-plus average winds we have here in Oklahoma.
There were just too many occasions when I had the time to sail but the winds were too high for my other sailboats.
The second reason I chose the Laser was it's portability. The transport bag is an excellent idea and works very well.
The last attraction was the fact that the Laser arrives ready to sail-I like to assemble my boats.
(About Victoria's) Our local Vic fleet had to canel 6 of the planned 10 races this season due solely to high winds.
I think one should allow considerable thought to their average wind conditions when selecting a RC sailboat.

Bill
Old 12-22-2003, 01:31 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

One word of caution. If you put all the go fasts that the class allows and use just enough ballast to get up to the class weight of 8# you might have a pretty tender yacht with a Fairwind. Mine weighs 8lb-2oz. In a stiff blow it is very tender and I find it better to sail by the quarter boards down wind to keep it from diving. Close hauled you must point high if you don't like to sail rail down. In a light to moderate breeze I can sail under and to leeward of all the other Fairwinds on our pond. It is a really fun boat. Fair priced and easy to put together. I had two VMP Soling 1M's and I believe I could keep up with them with my Fairwind. My Victoria was a fairly fast ship for its size. Not quite as easy to build but not too hard either. Since they have changed it a bit I might just get another.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 AM
RobStagis

My club sails Fairwinds ranging from my box-stock 20-year-old boat at 10+ pounds with original sails to a race-ready custom boat. Regarding tenderness, my porky-the-pig boat will sail with the other boats in higher winds - no problem. In light breezes, the light boats accelerate MUCH faster than mine, and I lose... *sigh*. Ballast placement is key. The ultra-light boat (8 pounds, .5 ounce) has its ballast poured to the rear of the hole with the battery down in the keel, the winch just above that and the rudder servo just aft of the winch - and as low as it can go. This boat keeps its bow up and isn't any more tender than the others.....I wish it were - maybe I'd win a couple .