Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

EC12 Rig - via the Internet...attaboy!!

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

EC12 Rig - via the Internet...attaboy!!

Old 12-23-2003, 08:52 AM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EC12 Rig - via the Internet...attaboy!!

I'm also rerigging my EC12, albeit slowly. I just finished rerigging the booms via the pics on the EC12 construction site. This is the rig with the tight-line-along-the-boom-with-multiple-bowsies. I like it!!!!! Before I took the boat downstairs for its DayGlo paint job I sailed it once... I brought it to the pond with the only pre-adjusted thing being a vertical mast (fore-and-aft). Within 20 minutes I had tweaked a glorious sail shape!!!!! The jib topping lift, in particular, is a nice way to do things when combined with the jib standoff (control-line airplane clip). No hangups, perfect adjustment, yada yada yada..... Kudos to the site!!!!! Other-boat sailors would be well-advised to dig through the photos (and, in my opinion, the EC12 manual) because the building details are applicable to many other boats.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:31 AM
ec12-1582

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EC12 Rig - via the Internet...attaboy!!

Hi Rob,

Got to agree Rick's sight is great. In re-fitting my twelve, I've stripped the deck off, and had Rick send me a set of the Rhinehart Plans. Used them as templates for the deck ribs, along with his measurements for mast position, fairleads etc. Came up with my own radio board design loosely based on Bob Merserau's closed loop article in AMYA Quarterly. Only problem I've run into is weight.

The orginal builder of the boat put on a three pound deck(not kidding). My new deck is 1/32 birch 3 ply with epoxy and glass underside, and strait epoxy tops side. I was a little sloppy on the first one, and am redoing it to get a better stain job, but weight with ribs is down to 8.75 ounces. Now I've got to add ballast as my total boat weight with rudder is short by a good 2.5 lbs. The advantage to this is now I can have a multiple ballast system to target waterline for most conditions, and adjust the bow angle simultaneoulsy. I'm keeping a running file of pictures through the process of the rebuild, and promise to post them somewhere.

My next major project is a new rudder. The one on the boat, is a bit small, and oddly shaped for a 12. Luckily the rig won't require much fusing with, as I replaced all that stuff when I boat the boat, and used the EC12 manuals then.

In Feb, I'm getting with Bob for Sailmaiking 102. This time we will completely cut and build a full a suite in Trispi 25. (I needed new sails, and this will be a lot cheaper than a new set of Carr's) This is going to be a fun off season.

Chris