Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

dolphin 770 or fortune 612

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

dolphin 770 or fortune 612

Old 02-24-2004, 11:27 AM
cassiopeia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dolphin 770 or fortune 612

I m complitli a beginer in rc sailboat world.I d like to buy dolphin 770 or fortune 612 But now i dont know which one.Can you help me.
michael
Old 02-25-2004, 01:15 PM
tim1962

Default RE: dolphin 770 or fortune 612

I sail a Nirvana and an EC-12 with a friend who has the Sea Dolphin 770. He has not had any problems with his boat. He did sew a bit on the front edge of the jib on the Sea Dolphin for some reason, but I can't remember why.

I would recommend finding out if there is a local RC Model yacht club and see what class of boat they sail. If you buy the same class boat that the local club uses, you can sail in the local regattas. While sailing on your own is very relaxing, sailing with other folks is a lot more fun.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:23 PM
alex909

Michael,
You e-mailed me a few days ago and I'm sorry I haven't written back to you but here is my reply. I own both the Seadolphin and the Fortune and they're both great, but I'd say that if you were willing to put a little bit of time into your boat, you should get the Seadolphin over the Fortune. The Fortune is great but is just too small and gets overpowered too easily and if you get one, you'll quickly get bored of it and want something else. The Dolphin is great, is constructed of seemingly durable materials and is easy to put together. It's reasonably fast and a great starter boat. Good luck, and make sure you do your research before you buy something as it's a moderately big investment (after you get painting supplies, radio equipment etc.)

Alex
Old 02-27-2004, 08:45 AM
RobStagis

I aagree - Dolphin over the Fortune.......Fortune's fast, but its quality isn't as high....
Old 02-27-2004, 04:09 PM
cassiopeia

so i think that it will be delphin.But which one ( www.towerhobbis.com)this cheaper one or the secnd
Old 03-18-2004, 04:23 AM
AdamH

Hi

This is is my first post here and I'm also considering a sea dolphin or a fortune 612. The sea dolphin is more tempting and looks like the better boat although I've been unable to find any online reviews which would be really useful.

One thing I'd really like to know and never seems to be mentioned is how is easy is it to assemble and disassemble the rigging (on this boat or any other) ? Unfortunately I don't have a car and the local pond is about half an hours walk away or 10 mins by public transport so being able to take down the boat for transport is a really important factor for me.

Also how does this boat compare to a Thunder Tiger Victoria?

Thanks

Adam
Old 03-18-2004, 09:18 AM
colbar23

Hi.....Whats the best Sail Servo to get for a 612
Colin.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:32 AM
LtDoc

Adam,
The rigging for most boats isn't ~that~ difficult to live with. If it isn't provided for to start with, using 'snap-links' (fishing swivels) can make rigging/unrigging for transportation easier. Once you become famiiar with where things go, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to ready the boat for sailing or carrying. Until you do become familiar with rigging your boat, color coding the lines certainly helps get them in the right places (carrying the assembly instructions with you isn't a bad idea either! LOL).

Sail servo size.
It is seldom a problem having a sail servo/wench that's too large. Having one that's too small is almost always inconvenient, but not necessarily a 'problem', (depends on the size of the boat, really). You can also have a $ail $ervo that'$ more than you need. I'd follow the manufacturer's recomendation (with just a bit larger servo, maybe). Hows that for a 'definitive' answer??
- 'Doc
Old 03-18-2004, 05:06 PM
AdamH

Thanks for the quick response! I also meant to ask if the keel and rudder can be easily removed. Does anyone know how this boat compares performance wise to simillar boats like the Victoria? Can anyone tell me about their experiences building this boat?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 02:10 PM
bogordoug

On another forum it was reported from a member in Japan that the Fortune model is now out of production. What you can buy is what remains in the suppliers pipeline.