Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Baby steps

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Baby steps

Old 04-26-2004, 06:07 PM
airyzonie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby steps

There's a question in here but first I want to ramble a bit. If you want to skip right to the question go directly to the bottom of the post.

Based on a response to an earlier post in a different thread, I went to pond where I was told that sailors gather on Sundays. When I got there a bunch of guys were racing their boats. It was fun to watch them and someday I might want to try that but mostly I'm thinking about pleasantly wasting away a nice chunck of a day tooling around the smallish ponds in my neighborhood. I talked to some of the guys and I got some advice that I think may prove to be very valuable.

Currently I'm looking at a Kyosho Seawind as my first foray into RC sailing.

There was a post on here somewhere about an ideal sailing pond. I think I'm going to have to take and post some pictures because I think the ponds in my neighborhood are pretty close to ideal. They could be a little larger but.... There is are shade ramadas with picnic tables and grills, paved walkway around, pretty good depth at the shorline, lots of quay. Strangely I don't know anyone in my neighborhood who is into sailing models. Since there is catch and release fishing, gas powered models might be frowned on but that's fine with me. I'm thinking I'll take some pictures and post them to see if you guys agree with me that my neighborhood has an awesome little facility for sailing models. Maybe I'll have to form a club, huh?

I'm really looking forward to getting launched. Thanks to you all for your help thus far and I'll keep you posted.

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me the draw for the Seawind? I might take a yardstick up to the park before I plunk my money down. ;-)
Old 04-26-2004, 06:09 PM
airyzonie

Default RE: Baby steps

BTW, I have a Nissan Pathfinder and I'm assuming that putting a 1 meter boat without the mast, keel, etc. in the back of my Pathfinder won't be any problem. Right?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:04 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The draft on a Seawind is deep. My guess is that it is close to 16", maybe more. If you went to Scottsdale the guys racing were sailing 36/600's which also have a fin and bulb keel. The serious racing machines are built that way to get the weight well below the CG without using too much lead. The shallower draft boats are the Fairwinfd and the Victor Models Soling 1M. Both require assembly and are considerably cheaper and a lot less tender in a breeze. There is a page on the AMYA web site for all kinds of sailing craft. We race in a pond in Payson where most fin and bulb keels have to be launched from the dock. Fairwinds and the like, with a shallower draft, can be launched from shore if there is a foot of water. The Seawind is intended to be a racing boat. If your pond is deep enough it can be a day sailer but depth of water below the hull can be a pain if there isn't enough. If you fold the seat you can probably lay you boat on its side so you won't have to assemble it every time you go out.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:25 PM
airyzonie

I think they may have been sailing their 50/800's last Sunday but I could be all wrong.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:38 PM
wismerhell

check
www.seawindrc.com

Wis