Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

Old 10-11-2004, 07:31 AM
fleetsailor1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

Does anyone have a set of sterling's plans for either the yacht america or the schooner Emma C. Berry? I am willing to buy or pay for the plans to be copied. Does anyone know if the plans have draws of the keel and formers on them. thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 12:44 PM
DaveB

Default RE: Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

After many years of the Emma C. Berry sitting unfinished in my basement, I have started the project again. I have the drawings that came with the kit, although they are so old they have torn at the folds so I essentially have 2 X 1/2 drawings. If you are still in need, repond and I will take a closer look to see if they can be duplicated. It is a large sheet, printed on both sides.

DaveB
Old 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check everyone's favorite West Coast auction site. I see them sold there occasionally.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Fossel

I have the complete plans, but am missing the bulkhead pieces. Any chance you have them and can send a template?

Peter Fossel
Old 01-04-2005, 06:00 PM
DaveB

Pete,

I wish I could. At this point I have the hull built and the bulkheads are installed. I will however, rummage through the box and see, however doubtful, that I still have the balsa sheets from which the bulkheads were stamped. I'll check and respond in a day or two.

DaveB
Old 01-05-2005, 07:19 PM
DaveB

Pete,

I examined the remaining parts of the Emma remaining in the kit. Regretfully I do not have anything that could be used to make drawings of the bulkhead pieces.

Sorry.

DaveB
Old 01-20-2005, 10:37 AM
derf40

hi peter i'm new and this is my second atempt to reach you -i have the templets for emma c berry[b21m] but no plans or manule i have inherited two sterling models all in one box fokker d7 [f s 21] also- if you have the part numbers your looking for i well trace them out for you and i need a set of plans look forward to hear from you fred
Old 01-26-2005, 06:41 PM
davhill

"Fleetsailor" - You posted a recent request for plans & bulkhead outlines for the Emma C Berry (Sterling kit B21M.) Did you already get satisfaction? I can supply these if you still need them. NB, the plan sheet does NOT give bulkhead or keel outlines, but I have tracings of these parts.

David Hill

ORIGINAL: fleetsailor1981
Does anyone have a set of sterling's plans for ... the schooner Emma C. Berry? I am willing to buy or pay for the plans to be copied. Does anyone know if the plans have draws of the keel and formers on them. thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 11:01 AM
BD5wingnut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Fleet Sailor... I too am looking for a set of plans for the Emma C. Berry model. I first built mine in 1978 and it has been at my dads house ever since, now that I am retiring from the NAVY I want to get the ol'girl working again and improve the rigging. My question is; Did you find those plans yet? and Did they help any?

Peace, Wolf
Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 AM
BD5wingnut

Hello Davehill

I too would like a copy of the plans and tracings for the Emma C. Berry model. I have recently reaquired the model I built back in 1978 and am now retired from the Navy. I am going to "Dry Dock" the model and do a major refit, of her rigging as well as some hull work. I would be really greatful for and docs. that you have, please let me know how to arrange for them.

Peace, Wolf
Old 02-13-2005, 11:17 AM
BD5wingnut

Oops!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 AM
davhill

To anyone wanting the complete Sterling "Emma C Berry" plans, or the bulkhead patterns, and/or a collection of magazine articles pertaining to the history of the Berry & of building the Sterling model, please contact me directly at "davhill at att.net", and I will send you a list of items and costs. I regret I can't provide these for free, but WILL do so for copy-cost-plus-shipping.

The plans are oversized and double-sided, so the copy is 4 sheets approx 30"x40". The last copy was about $30, though I'm seeking a cheaper copying source. Bulkhead patterns are 14 sheets mixed 8x11" & 11x17", $2.50 postpaid.

Regards, David Hill, Franklin MA (www.windjam.com\emmacberry)

ORIGINAL: BD5wingnut
Hello Davehill I too would like a copy of the plans and tracings for the Emma C. Berry model. I have recently reaquired the model I built back in 1978 and am now retired from the Navy. I am going to "Dry Dock" the model and do a major refit, of her rigging as well as some hull work. I would be really greatful for and docs. that you have, please let me know how to arrange for them.
Peace, Wolf
Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 AM
derf40

hi i;m looking for the plans emma c berry i;m out of hospital open heart and stroke 2 months later i;m feeling good and looking for plans to build my boat - 2005 Peter Fossel made a trade with me for all the bulk heads witch i traced on cardbord and mailed them to him for $7 he never sent the plans of the boat he e-mail me but never sent the plans and i;ve lost contact with him and still looking for plans can anybody help me fred at fredffreddy@shaw. ca
Old 02-19-2008, 01:32 AM
DamienG

In research for Emmas's history I found these sites.
[link]http://www.mysticseaport.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewpage&page_id=B3EE1230-BA9C-35DE-A1FD1A5E4216190D[/link]
[link]http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~slowbell/trough28a.htm[/link]
[link]http://shipmodelco-op.com/emma.htm[/link]
[link]http://www.nps.gov/history/maritime/nhl/EmmaCBerryFigures.pdf[/link]

I purchased the Emma C Sterling Kit in 1973 To build with my Dad to help him recover from a serious work place accident. She took 12 months to build, and was stored on Dad's wardrobe for several years until after i married in '76 when he gave her to me on two contitions 1/ That i complete her for R/C and 2/ I always display her. Both of which I have done.
She has been rebuilt twice after being damaged in cross country moves, during second rebuild i added aux electric power as the lake in the town we were in was too small to turn her under sail. here's a couple of pic's taken a few days ago.

I've been lurking on this forum for sometime and decided it was time to join. So G'day from down under to all up overs.
Damien
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87546.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	882880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85596.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	882881  
Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

Welcome aboard DamienG!

Beautiful job on your Emma!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 AM
GEEZERRC

NICE JOB ON THE EMMA DAMIEN! AND, SHE HAS POWER ALSO! WHAT A GREAT LOOKING YACHT!

THANKS FOR SHARING HER AND GOD BLESS YOUR DAD AS WELL. BEST REAGARDS, A.J.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
cmtul

Hello,

I recently inherited a r/c Emma C Berry schooner. She needs a lil touching up. Would anyone by chance have detailed pictures of their Emma C Berry model that I can use to ensure that I'm fixing her up the right way? Any tips or ideas on how to clean her up and bring her back up to where she should be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Chris
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
BD5wingnut

I have several images of reasonable quality with many details of a "Berry". Contact me off-list so I can send them, you do have high speed, right?

[email protected]

Peace, Wolf
Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM
DaveB

After years of on again, off again building of the Emma C. Berry, I finally finished the Sterling model. There was quite a lot of improvising done to improve the looks, but worth the effort. I still have to build a little cradle to display her as I intend to keep the model as a static display. Although I don't plan to sail here, I did build the rudder and controls so if I change my mind I could install radio gear.

DaveB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98676.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1318863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96478.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1318864  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Very nice David, put her in the water.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 AM
cbinfl

Dave, Put her in the water.   You will like the way the boat sails.  I do hope you built the larger rudder ? I built the ECB in the 70's and converted a friends to RC in the 90's,  and the boat sails really well.  See a photo of mine at,     www.pondyachts.net   Not as nicely detailed as yours, but I couldn't wait to sail her.  Did you install ballast ?   As i recall it took about 6.5 lbs. +.    I used bird shot / epoxy.  The hull, less sails, was floated in the bath tub, and the shot was spooned in through the hatches, a little at a time.   Easy to adjust the balance that way
Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
DaveB

cbinfl,

To answer your question, I did build the larger rudder and installed the control rod (tiller) to steer. The cabin tops are removeable should I (or my heirs) decide to add the ballast. radio gear and sail her. However, I intend to keep "Emma" as a static model because of my personal connection to the real "Emma".

My grandfather was one of the boat builders who restored "Emma" in the 1930's at Morton Johnson's boatyard in Bay Head, N.J. After WWII and Emmas owner, F. Slade Dale, returned from the war, "Emma" was returned to Morts where my father was one of the boatbuilders who again restored "Emma" at Morton Johnson's. in the late 1940's. I can remember as a kid, being on board "Emma" while she was moored at Dales.

As you may know, "Emma" was later donated to the Mystic Seaport in 1969 where she has been restored again as a sloop, which was the original design. "Emma" was declared a "National Historic Landmark" in 1994 and can be seen at Mystic Seaport.

I would very much like to sail "Emma", but I would rather look at her on display in my home every day and be reminded of her history and my family's involvement with her.

DaveB
Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
cbinfl

Dave,  I can't argue with those credentials .  I  have seen the sloop ECB at Mystic and it is really a beautiful hull.  I remember thinking it must have been a little crowded  on deck as a schooner with all the extra rigging etc.  

Yuo have a beautiful model.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Al Stein

Check everyone's favorite West Coast auction site. I see them sold there occasionally.
Not having a favorite West Coast auction site, I'm feelin' a little out of it just now... Could you maybe email me the URL? ( [email protected] )
Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 AM
michaele69

I have recently completed my model of the Emma C Berry that I started 40 years ago. Unfortunately, I installed the deck years ago before installing any radio gear (I couldn't afford it at the time). Now I would like to do so, but getting inside to install winches is looking like a very challanging task. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I have built a Victoria, and an EC-12, so I do have some experience, but the Victoria was a very simple setup, and the EC-12 was an open hull when I installed the gear.

What winch types did you use? How did you run the internal rigging?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ME.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.